Pocket Pc/ Pda

Seems like alot of people are asking about these lately...

My question is can a pocket PC or Palm do complete autorouting and geocaching? I know you will need a gps card/whatever and get the software. But want to know if you have these will you be able to do turn by turn driving directions just like a car type gps and take you right to a cache. I also know a PDA isnt as tough as a stand alone GPS, just asking about being 100% capable.

So If say I had an older Axium with a CF card(SiRF III) and the proper software would it be able to autoroute me to my POI and then take me across the park to a hidden cache?

So If say I had an older Axium with a CF card(SiRF III) and the proper software would it be able to autoroute me to my POI and then take me across the park to a hidden cache?

Yes. I'd recommend Mapopolis for the autorouting (with voice commands). Program is free - you just need to buy the maps. You can buy individual maps or the entire US for $99. You can use Mapopolis to navigate to a cache after you drive, but I use BeeLineGPS for that.

As far as how "tough" the PDA is, without something extra it isn't going to be as robust as a "normal" outdoors GPS receiver. You can get a rugged case (Otterbox sells them) though.

Mapopolis is a great program and using the GPXToMaplet program you can convert all your geocache waypoints into a maplet file Mapopolis will load.

If you have other questions about this let me know.

-al

Thanks for the reply.

I just mainly wanted to know that it could do what I was wanting. I had already planned on an otterbox "IF" I went this route.

its just so tough to make a choice and keep a budget, You have GPS units that are great for geocaching and "ok" for driving. And you got actual driving GPS that arent really made for geocaching. So its a choice of do you want a good geocaching unit thats not perfect for driving but will get the job done, or do you get a car unit and a handheld. I just thought that maybe a setup of PPC and gpsr in one would give you better all around coverage, assuming you get a box to protect the PPC that is.

I use my Ipac PPC with a Sirf Star III in CF so it's one unit for use in the woods. In my car I use the aforementioned Mapopolis. With gpxtomaplet, you can overlay all the caches onto the Mapopolis maps so you can auto navigate from cache to cahe.

I'd get a suction cup mounting bracket to attache to your windshield and a car lighter cable to PPC to keep it charged while you're driving. That way you'll have a full charge when you hit the trail.

Otterbox is good although I use mine naked. I also have a Vista that I take with me as backup but on short runs I don't bother.

I also use the Ipaq for paperless caching using gpxsonar in the PPC and Gsak in my PC. I also use the PPC for National geographic Pocket Topo (24K maps).

Good luck.

I have a Dell Axim PPC which I use for paperless caching and navigation. I use a Garmin Geko 201 GPS with a serial cable to connect it to the Axim. When I get to the parking spot I can unplug the Geko and take it in the field while leaving the fragile PPC in the car.

I think a great combination (which I currently use so a little biased of course) is 3 programs on my ppc.Mapopolis for the autorouting.I also use gpxtomaplet to layout every cache on the map.The 2nd is cachemate for pocket pc with the cachenav plugin.This gives you the cache information for all the cahces allowing you to read descriptions get hints make logs etc and the cachenav plugin guides you to the cache.The 3rd program si gpsgate which allows you to have both of these connected to the gps at the same time.I currently carry 5000 cache files with me so no matter where I am in most of northern california I have all the cache info for that area

This all had me actually thinking th other day, while I was stuck in traffic. I had two GPSs with me (the road one and the handheld), and a PocketPC that can take 1.3 mpix photos and e-mail them anyplace. Right from being stuck in traffic.

I was sitting in traffic surfing the internet and perfectly capable of sending photos or videos anywhere. Along with the coordinates. No special software or anything fancy.

How can you add those two things together within the rules of geocaching and play a game?

cy