User Ratings

I heard that geocachers are rated some how some where in cyber space. I was told that you were ranking or rated by how many caches you found, placed, not found etc. Has anyone heard of sound a site. I'm somewhat new, addicted, and can't get enough of the hype. So of course hearing that I might have a rank or rating tweeked my interest!!

I heard that geocachers are rated some how some where in cyber space. I was told that you were ranking or rated by how many caches you found, placed, not found etc. Has anyone heard of sound a site. I'm somewhat new, addicted, and can't get enough of the hype. So of course hearing that I might have a rank or rating tweeked my interest!!

There are a couple ranking sites, they're not *ratings* sites. Many of us will tell you that numbers aren't important. They can be easily inflated, and quite frankly, just because you have a higher find count than someone else doesn't mean you're a better cacher.

one list

another one

Just remember - numbers are pointless. There are no winners, no prizes, and no trophies. At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is whether you've had fun or not.

Edit: Just noticed I'm ranked 3049th in the world! Woo hoo! I'll be signing autographs now, the line forms to the left. :P

Edited by DocDiTTo

While I've never personally met CCCooperAgency, there are a whole lot of people on these forums that will vouch for her. One person, reportedly all legit and apparently pretty amazing.

Edit: to say that my math makes it 8 caches a day for 5 years!

Edited by Team Noltex
Just remember - numbers are pointless. There are no winners, no prizes, and no trophies. At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is whether you've had fun or not.

Only to some. To some long hikes uphill are pointless. To others hard to find micros are pointless.

Just because you don't care about numbers doesn't make them pointless to everyone. To many keeping track of numbers at the end of the day brings them fun.

CCCA Lives in my neck of the woods and yeah she is insane when it comes to caching. She wakes up about 5AM, caches all night till about 11. The CCCA Team consists of herself, who does the actual caching, and her husband who works out most of the puzzles. I suppose he's the thinker. When Cooper is out she sometimes takes her 2 kids with her. Alot of people think that it's just a random thing for her, but she actually has caching days planned out a few weeks in advance. It's good planning, and good searching.

S

Ditto on Shifty's comments. She's very dedicated. Don't quote me on this, but I believe some of those numbers are pocket caches and things (which I know there is some debate on), but the majority of them are legit.

I've only been out with her once or twice, and never on one of her famous "50+ finds in a day" runs that she does. I do know I've been at a new cache looking for over 1/2 hour and she pulls up and finds it in about 2 minutes and makes me look like a newbie.

Anyways, I will hear no more questioning of CCCA's abilities <_< b

There are a couple ranking sites, they're not *ratings* sites. Many of us will tell you that numbers aren't important. They can be easily inflated, and quite frankly, just because you have a higher find count than someone else doesn't mean you're a better cacher.

one list

another one

Edit: Just noticed I'm ranked 3049th in the world! Woo hoo! I'll be signing autographs now, the line forms to the left. :mad:

Numbers are not 'pointless'. They help me immensely in my ongoing campaign of driving my son nutso, crazy, whacko. They make my caching friends a little nervous too. Now as far as some 'ranking'...I could care less, but to say that numbers don't matter is preposterous. It's all in how you use them. B):mad::mad: For example, I'm a supporter of the idea of making the 'numbers' viewable only to the account holder. I then can email my stats, as I do today, to my son and friends............or not. <_<:mad::mad:

How many people are on this team? CCCooperAgency

Am I actually supposed to believe that they've logged an average of almost 7 caches/day 365 days/year for six years?

Please! How challenging couuld those caches have been?

I guess I am qualified to speak here, because I know Lynn quite well. And so, allow me to offer my pespectiv eon Lynn, and to vouch for her. Even better, my perspective may be rather interesting and VERY balanced, since I am the antithesis of a high-numbers cacher -- I choose every cache which I hunt carefully and deliberately (I am primarily into high-Terrain-rating caches), and I am not at all into high numbers. In fact, I am not fanatical about anything in this life! And so, I am very much the opposite -- in terms of pursuits and geo-preferences -- from high numbers folks such as Lynn! The CCCA team consists largely of only Lynn, although her husband and some of her children have gone along on some finds. Nowadays, it is largely just Lynn alone. Frankly, I suspect that her kids burned out on hunting 100 caches per day with their mom! Her husband often prepares her driving and hunting routes in advance, so that her cache hunting outings are very organized and efficient. Lynn reports that the CCCA account was so named because when she and her husband and kids first started geocaching, her hubby suggested a name which did not contain their actual names, for security reasons (just in case there were any mass murderers out there in the geo world...) And so, they chose a name which helps to advertise their business, which is located in Eastern PA.

Now, a few of the things which fascinate me about Lynn, in direct contrast to the rumors about many high-numbers cachers -- or as they are called here in the forums, "numbers hos" -- are the following:

• 1) unlike many high-number cachers, she is willing and ready and able to tackle even the toughest caches, including numerous Terrain 5 caches, and does frequently. In fact, she has found all of our caches with Terrain ratings above 3.5, including all of our 5s, and including ALL of our infamous Psycho Urban Caches (oops, except for the last two, #11 and #12, which are very new) and ALL of our East Coast Psycho Backcountry caches. So, she does not just concentrate on lame urban micros in order to build numbers. She even successfully completed our infamous
Psycho Urban Cache #9 - Hot Glowing Tribulations, and you can see fotos of Lynn and her co-hunter Mocadeki suited up in their Tyvek protective bunny suits (and holding their portable radiation monitors) prior to entering the abandoned nuclear reactor chamber, on the cache listing page, near the bottom of the page. In fact, I have personally watched Lynn and some of her friends tackle some of our toughest and nastiest caches, and she does so with abandon.
2) Unlike many high-find-count cachers of my acquaintance, she also places geocaches, and quite prolifically. She owns a great number of geocaches, including many very fine caches.
3) When I first heard of high-numbers folks like Lynn, who regularly find 100 or more caches in a day, I had assumed that they must, of necessity, spend little time on building personal relationships with other geocachers, and must be very driven Type A personalities, always in a frenetic rush, and always on the go. At least in Lynn's case, this is very far from the truth. In fact, she is extremely warm, friendly and personable, has numerous geo friends all over the world, and attends numerous events. In fact, before Lynn and I ever met in person, she had somehow (after finding one of our caches) discovered some of my websites, and had kindly reached out to me by email to discuss some common spiritual interests, and we thereupon had a long and fruitful email correspondence. When she was in our area (we live in the wilderness on a forested mountain slope) a couple of months ago to seek some of our high-Terrrain-rating Psycho caches in the backcountry near our home, my wife Sue accompanied Lynn and Mocadeki on two of the hikes into the mountains, and then Lynn and Carl came back to our house and spent a couple of hours sitting with us on a rock wall in our poultry pen, surrounded by inquisitive chickens, ducks and geese, as we talked about a wide variety of topics (not just caching gossip.) Despite the fact that she spent over two hours with us that day just hanging out and chatting, I believe that she logged over 100 caches that day by midnight! Wow!

Lastly, I also know people who regularly cache with some of the other folks on the Top 10 find list, and they too report that most of these high-numbers cachers are very relaxed, friendly and personable, and generous to a fault. Now, as I mentioned above, this high-numbers world is a million years from my world, as I prefer to pick my finds carefully, and I do not put a lot of time into geocaching most weeks. However, I have nothing against those folks who are different from me, and who choose to go after high find counts! I say: "God bless them all!" :mad:

So, do not be too quick to make rash assumptions about high-numbers cachers! :mad::mad:<_<

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

Only to some. To some long hikes uphill are pointless. To others hard to find micros are pointless.

Just because you don't care about numbers doesn't make them pointless to everyone. To many keeping track of numbers at the end of the day brings them fun.

Very well put. Thank you for saying this! Numbers do not matter to me at all, and in fact, I am known to be very unfanatical and un-obsessive about caching -- I pick each cache which I will hunt with great care, and usually stick only to very interesting caches and to caches with terrain ratings of over 4, and preferably, Terrain 5 caches which require training and specialized gear. However, having said that, I have nothing against the numbers people, and I enjoy them too (but I would not go caching with them often, because our styles are so different!) . Not only is Lynn, CCCA, a good friend, but my own wife Sue is more than a bit driven and obsessive about geocaching. I just smile at it all and enjoy all of these different types of people! Let them live life their way, and let me live my life my way! There is room for all!

Very well put. Thank you for saying this! Numbers do not matter to me at all, and in fact, I am known to be very unfanatical and un-obsessive about caching -- I pick each cache which I will hunt with great care, and usually stick only to very interesting caches and to caches with terrain ratings of over 4, and preferably, Terrain 5 caches which require training and specialized gear. However, having said that, I have nothing against the numbers people, and I enjoy them too (but I would not go caching with them often, because our styles are so different!) . Not only is Lynn, CCCA, a good friend, but my own wife Sue is more than a bit driven and obsessive about geocaching. I just smile at it all and enjoy all of these different types of people! Let them live life their way, and let me live my life my way! There is room for all!

I wish where I live had this: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.asp...ny+%26+Sue+Team many 'VERY interesting' caches. ;):DB)

I wish where I live had this: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.asp...ny+%26+Sue+Team many 'VERY interesting' caches. :DB)B)

Well, while I tend to seek only Terrain 5 or very interesting or bizarre (unique) caches myself, I would hardly call all of the caches on our Vinny & Sue Team find list "very interesting". My wife Sue, who shares the account with me, is a bit of a numbers ho, and thus I am sure that there are some caches among her finds that would not interest me at all -- please note that I am not calling them bad caches, but rather just saying that they are not my type of cache. I would never bother with a good number of them, but to Sue they were important; I tease her sometimes that she is a CCCA in the making... We also have a VERY high count of puzzle cache finds, and the vast majority of them (with the exception of some really notable and famous ones) are really all Sue's work -- she is a puzzle cache addict, and currently has more puzzle finds than anyone in Marland (sigh!) ;)B)