Really Really Old Gps Systems

;)

p50415519uc.th.jpg

Hi, I was wondering if this outdated unit would do the trick for now. We tried it for the first time today and it got us to the right spot initially, but couldn't seem to lock in on our second target (was giving us multiple locations.)I later noticed a poster for this cache had mentioned it would get difficult once the trees started getting leaves, so I can't tell if we were in the right area or not.

I found a similar unit on ebay. It was about to expire with no bids, for 1 penny—so I'm assuming this unit is either completely defunct; or no one wants to program manually and downgrade to very few options. A new gps isn't an option right now, so we hope this can work. Any input is appreciated. What a great pastime!

Edited by woowoo80808

You should be able to find a GEcko 101 for about 50 bucks. That will do the job though it's lack of computer connectivity will be an issue later.

You can also find caches by using mapping and the cache clues. Google earth and others make it fairly easy to get close to the cache so you can start looking. No GPS needed.

You should be able to find a GEcko 101 for about 50 bucks. That will do the job though it's lack of computer connectivity will be an issue later.

You can also find caches by using mapping and the cache clues. Google earth and others make it fairly easy to get close to the cache so you can start looking. No GPS needed.

Thanks for the tips!

We ended up buying a Magellan eXplorist 200, probably shouldn't have—but hey, you only live once.

We found a cache using the Sony pixis today. It actually worked great, but it's just way too big. We would like to take our dogs on some of these caches but trying to work the pixis and walk a great dane is just ridiculous. Thanks to everyone for their help :ph34r:

We ended up buying a Magellan eXplorist 200, probably shouldn't have—but hey, you only live once.

We found a cache using the Sony pixis today. It actually worked great, but it's just way too big. We would like to take our dogs on some of these caches but trying to work the pixis and walk a great dane is just ridiculous. Thanks to everyone for their help :P

If you splurged on the 200 you may want to take it back and get a 210. The 210 will let you connect to the computer to download waypoitns. The 200 won't. The cable saves you from a miskeyed coordinate. Looking for a cache for an hour that isn't there because you typed in N44 instead of N43... teaches you the value of the cable. Not that I've ever done that. :ph34r:

Wow, well now I don't feel so bad about the hand me down from my father that I'm using.

It was released in 2000. Looks like as long as I can rig up the dirty data cable system that people have figured out for this model I should be able to continue using it until I need / want a model that takes a memory card.

B00000F1AV.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Hey, I have one of those.

I'm not sure when I got it but it's still got some waypoints in there from 1997.

If you figure out how to cobble together one of those cables let me know :)

I once thought about replacing it but there's no reason, except for the slightly touchy battery cover, it works like a charm.

Maybe I'll check ebay for one with vacuum tubes.

Sure it would work.

Right now I am running a Magellan 1000 from 1989. Still works. No third digit on the coords. Real men don't need no stinkin' third digit. This is all you need:

903ab71b-ba4e-4128-a8ed-2c323e3fb0df.jpg

I have similar units. Magellan 1000 PRO from 1991 and Magellan 1000 M from 1991. Y2K not compliant.

dsc4257q.jpg

dsc4258q.jpg