How Do You Setup Your Pocket Queries

I'm wondering how everyone sets up their pocket queries over a week. I want to make the best use of 5 each day and I don't want to setup too many either and overwhelm myself or GC.com :unsure:

Right now I've only got 2 scheduled PQs- one on monday to pull all my found caches and then on friday for all new caches.

Thanks!

I have 18 or so PQs that pull up every active cache in florida. Every week or so I just start scheduling the PQs that haven't been ran in a week or so. IceCreamMan got me started on that. No more hit-or-miss roadtrip planning. I just get the directions out of google earth, convert it to an arch using gpsbabel, and run a 1-5 miles filter with that arch against one big gpx with all florida caches in it. Nothing too complicated... :unsure:

I have one the lists the 500 closest to my home coordinates not yet found by me that runs on Monday and Friday. I have two others which run on Thursday and Sunday which list my finds (I have more than 500, so I split it by type to keep both under 500).

I have one the lists the 500 closest to my home coordinates not yet found by me that runs on Monday and Friday. I have two others which run on Thursday and Sunday which list my finds (I have more than 500, so I split it by type to keep both under 500).

Have you tried the "My Finds" query? you can't schedule it, and can only run it once a week, but I believe it doesn't have the 500 cache limit.

I run 2 queries each week. The first lists the 500 caches not found within 150 miles of my home. Since we do not have the heavy cache density of many areas I will get a true 150 mile radius.

The 2nd query is for 450 cache within 100 miles of wherever I am working that week since I travel for work. I download both of these to my GPs before I leave home for work. I have the 2nd query of only 450 caches so that there is room for marking my car and in case I need to add additional coordinates for mutli's.

:laughing:

I have 18 or so PQs that pull up every active cache in florida.

How do you divide up your PQs? Geographically? By date placed? Other?

The most stable way of dividing up PQ's for a state is by date placed. The addition of new caches, at a faster pace than the archival of old caches, will mess up other methods faster. Aim for 490 caches per query in order to allow for temporary disabled caches being reactivated. Check your queries every few months to adjust the date limits to take account of attrition through archivals.

So, why do I know all this, since I am not a proponent of the "vast offline database" method of paperless geocaching? Under my alter ego account, I need to check the entire cache population in three states every few months for maintenance issues requiring a cache reviewer's attention. So nearly 20 queries are set up to handle that task.

For my personal account, I run the nearest 500 caches to my home (found and unfound) two times per week. Everything else is run on an as-needed basis. I have about 15 queries saved for areas I like to travel to regularly for geocaching.

I run four PQs a week. One for all caches in West Virginia within 100 miles of my home, and one for all caches in Pennsylvania within 30 miles of my home. This incorporates the interesting rural caches of SW PA, but eliminates the gazillion micros in pittsburgh, where I have never cached. Those PQs run twice a week.

I also have a PQ set up for my owned caches to run once weekly, and I usually run a "my finds" PQ weekly or biweekly, depending on my activity.

I will also create bookmark lists for travel trips and run PQs from them as needed.

I run around 5 a week on a regular basis, each one is fer a differant city that I may find myself in. I also have two that I run that are set to get caches that are less than a week old.

Each PQ in run is then loaded into my Pocket PC with GXPsonar, I also create a seperate map for each PQ in my pocket PC using GSAK and Microsoft streets and trips pocket edition. I also store each PQ in a seperate file in my Magellan exporsit 500, and Meridian Gold.

THere is no need to create a PQ for your found caches, at the bottom of the page there is a function that will just search out youy found caches. I do not bother with running a PQ for mind found caches, I really do not see a need for it.

demhackbardt,

I have a zip code map of our common hnting areas, and I run my pocket queries like so: "all unfound traditional caches within 10 miles of zip code 33511". I name this query 33511_10. This way, I can thoroughly cover one area without driving all over the TampaBay area. Knowing the cost of gasoline these days, my SUV cachemobile is none too forgiving at the pump, so I keep traveling to a minimum.

As you have hunted out a lot of an area, you can simply expand your hunt out by changing the 10 mile radius to say, a 15 or 20 mile radius, and by utilizing the zip code map, you can visually see where you have to be. If you want a link to the online zipcode maps, let me know, I'd be glad to help!

:)