About To Set My First Cache

FatGaz

:anicute:

Hi All - I'm new to this, but really enjoying it, and I'm about to set my first cache. I've read the page on Geocaching.com about placing your first cache, but I just wondered if anyone had some additional / practical advice, as I would hate to find my first one (or any cache) muggled!!

Thanks in advance

FatGaz

My advice: find somewhere suitable, where you can hide the cache very well. A suspicious pile of sticks ten yards from a footpath isn't really good enough (although there are plenty like that). It should be easy for finders to replace the cache in such a way that it can't be found accidentally (and muggled), even if it turns out that people regularly walk past the site. Assume that muggles often congregate right at the side of it, no matter how obscure the area seems!

Put a bit of effort into the camouflage and hiding position and you won't have to keep returning to replace the cache, and (more importantly) won't get officious or michievous people involved in the game. Use an ammo box for a regular cache (they're worth the extra cash, as they last for years). Think of a little extra "twist" to the cache to add interest and make it stand out from the others. Spend time on the description - it will attract more visitors if it looks interesting and is easy to read.

Then enjoy the compliments on your new cache!

HH

:anicute:

Hi All - I'm new to this, but really enjoying it, and I'm about to set my first cache. I've read the page on Geocaching.com about placing your first cache, but I just wondered if anyone had some additional / practical advice, as I would hate to find my first one (or any cache) muggled!!

Thanks in advance

FatGaz

Ensure that it's big enough for folks to leave T/Bs and Geocoins in. Make sure that it's watertight without having to resort to wrapping it in the dreaded black bin liner and/or plastic carrier bag. The 'Lock & lock' type box is ideal and cheap enough from places like Wilkinsons. Put a pencil and pencil sharpener in as well as a log book... obvious.... of course it is but you'd be surprised how many people forget!! If you can hide it with a little originality, avoiding the pile of dead wood that sticks out like a sore thumb, so much the better.

When you've hidden it, stand back and admire your handiwork. If you'd be pleased to find it, then it's likely that others will be as well.

Here are some more things to think about when placing a cache: can you find out who to get permission from? It really is best to get permission, and a cache on land managed by the countryside rangers is often easy to get permission for, as you can look up the telephone number in the phone book under your local council. If you don't know who owns/manages a piece of land, they can often point you in the right direction.

Please try to avoid locations used as dog toilets!!! Obvious, but again, caches are often to be found in such places. Also, avoid sites full of litter, broken bottles, beer cans and ...yugggghhhh! ... dare I say it......used condoms!!! :unsure: Yep, every area has these hidden corners, where the youngsters congregate away from the watchful eyes of their parents and make a horrible mess of the place in the process. On a similar note, in the countryside, there are often places used as toilets by hikers caught short...AVOID! Okay, I go caching with disposable rubber gloves in my bag...perhaps I am a bit fastidious, but most cachers like fairly clean caches. Creepy crawlies are all right though; they are only to be expected!

You'll know all the stuff about not demolishing drystone walls or blocking animal runs. It is harder to find a decent place than it first appears, I have found! However, time taken to find just the right spot is not wasted as your cache will be more popular than one just stuck anywhere at random.

As regards muggling, look out for clues as to whether the area is used for the aforementioned unhygienic purposes. Look out for graffiti - a sign that someone may go poking around there, find your cache and possibly vandalise it. If possible, visit the location at different times of day/evening to observe if there are people around. As long as you don't get mugged or get arrested for being a peeping tom, it will pay off!

Good luck!

Use the GAGB Landowners Agreement Database (link in my sig line below) to identify a suitable location with easily obtained permission.

Choose the cache location before deciding on size/type of box/type of camoflague. If you can successfully hide a big Ammo box that's best (and a good challenge) but the number one priority is to ensure it is well hidden.

Use an offset to take people to a specific place that can't hide a decent cache.

Think about the different natural cover between Summer and Winter; will your cache be surrounded by nettles or get a "cachers motorway" through the Summer undergrowth? Will it be visible from a distance in the Winter?

Would you enjoy visiting that location?

I too have been thinking about setting my first cache (so apologies for slight hijack of this thread but it's kind of on topic). I've worked out all my clues, got a name for it and have a good idea where I'm going to put it but it needs a couple more recces (I'll get the clues to fit the final co-ords somehow or other). One thing I would like to put in my cache is a FTF certificate but I've no idea where to get one. Is it a standard form doc or do I design my own or...?

I too have been thinking about setting my first cache (so apologies for slight hijack of this thread but it's kind of on topic). I've worked out all my clues, got a name for it and have a good idea where I'm going to put it but it needs a couple more recces (I'll get the clues to fit the final co-ords somehow or other). One thing I would like to put in my cache is a FTF certificate but I've no idea where to get one. Is it a standard form doc or do I design my own or...?

Design your own!! :unsure:

* make the final location interesting or worth visiting

* try not to use a micro unless you really have to

* start it off with a TB or Geocoin or both

* keep it street legal so to speak

* better to hide it well than to have it trashed by accidental discovery

* check, check and recheck coords often at different times

Well, I've set my first 2 caches!!

First (which I intended to be my 2nd) was set on 23rd - its a Micro cache.

Second one was set today (24th) and its a traditional / tupperware type - just waiting for it to be reviewed - cant see there being a problem though.

Happy hunting folks!