Country Coins And National Flags As Icons

Bunya

As a newbie geocoin collector and non-American I have to be careful not to tread on any toes here, but there is a question I just have to ask.

Is it right for non-nationals of a country to produce "country" geocoins which use that country’s flag as the icon?

From my limited observations there appear to be some coins for which this seems to be the case.

Perhaps I am wrong.

Anyone care to comment?

As a newbie geocoin collector and non-American I have to be careful not to tread on any toes here, but there is a question I just have to ask.

Is it right for non-nationals of a country to produce "country" geocoins which use that country’s flag as the icon?

From my limited observations there appear to be some coins for which this seems to be the case.

Perhaps I am wrong.

Anyone care to comment?

Wow, 50 views and no responses - c'mon folks.

The subject of "who has the right ot make an 'official' coin" has two very strong opinionated sides:

1) Those who think anybody should be able to make any coin they want

2) Those who think that those creating coins for states/countires/etc. should live there, have ties there, solicit feedback from the cachers there, etc.

I belong to group #2.

Wow, 50 views and no responses - c'mon folks.

The subject of "who has the right ot make an 'official' coin" has two very strong opinionated sides:

1) Those who think anybody should be able to make any coin they want

2) Those who think that those creating coins for states/countires/etc. should live there, have ties there, solicit feedback from the cachers there, etc.

I belong to group #2.

Thanks kealia. I was afraid no-one was going to reply. :)

I am firmly in your group #2 as well but wasn't game to say so at first. :)

Now I can. :)

Personally, I agree with Kealia. The maker of the coin should live in or at least have ties to the country/state in which he/she wants to make a coin to represent. If part of a group/club (and I mean geocaching related not the Boy Scouts) from that area then so much the better.

Anyone can make a coin and there are a lot out there but when it comes to buying 1 of 4 representing an area, I would be looking at the person/club putting it out to make my choices.

L

They should live there. Ties to the country is too vague and being used now. I use to live there, or I visited there a whole bunch, or my housekeeper's aunt's cousin's son-in-law is from there and I heard there's a cache there. Plain and simple, if you produce the coin, you should be living there.