Boat Caches

camandjohn

Well, a moderator can move this to the proper regional forum, so that mor eexperienced LOCAL cachers can help. but generally yes. I have only done one myself (I'm from NH).

One way you can narrow down the caches is by searching for caches with a DIFFICULTY of 5 (5 requires special equipment, such as a boat). You can then read teh cache descriptions and see if any local to you deal with islands or boats or whatnot.

Good luck!

Edited by New England n00b

Hi, I am new to geo caching and was wondering something. My family is also into boating and I was wondering if there is such a thing as a cache that can be done by boat. I am in the seattle area. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you are looking for an underwater cache, I would recommend Liberty Bay Resort

GCHPJ9. Thats the bay that Poulsbo is at the end of. This cache is not too far after you go by Keyport in a small bay on the south side of the bay. Not sure what size boat you are using. There is also a new cache in Long Lake SW of Port Orchard that I haven't done.

I have the idea that no motors and the water is shallow. Boating is a lot of fun. Enjoy

Dick, W7WT Bremerton

Island of Misfit CachesLots of them around. Kind of depends on what kind of boating you do. I have a 24' a 14' and 3 canoes. A few I've done.

Canoe, Kayak, or small beachable boat:

No Deceipt Kayakers' Cache Very cool Island but wear long pants :D Deception Pass

Blind Island San Juans

Circle of Life Stewart Island (Neat shell beach)

The Duck!Patos Island

Spanish Johns Lookout.

Colter's Run

Skagit Delta Labyrinth

YLEKALB KCOR (Has gone missing twice and is now disabled.)

Large Boat with a hike:

The aforementioned Blake Island caches

Gig Harbor is a fun place to boat into and has a mindboggling asortment of caches to please all tastes. The grub at "The Tides" is pretty good too.

Stewart Island in the San Juans is my favorite place.

it's all in the crib

Turn Point (aka Lover's Leap)

Closer to town which I've not done -- yet:

A Ride On The Lake 1

Keechelus Crossing II Can walk at low water.

LogLog log

The Lodge 3

Old Glory

Goose Island

Edmount Island Cache

Just about any Marina, Ferry Landing, or Island in the Puget sound area from Olympia to Victoria BC.will offer up some caches.

Edited by CENT5

We have a canoe that has seen little use since the geo-kid became a geo-teen. I can't help it, I get antsy when she's all movey movey and I'm always a worried we're going to tip over. And I don't want to tip over, so we sorta put the canoe aside and figured even if we weren' t using it we were still keeping *just in case*. Well, the geo teen will be 16 this year and after careful consideration we decided she wasn't ready to have a car we we decided to get her another mode of transportation - a kayak. We found one at Costco (for a steal) that included all the goodies and was cute, too (which is important to a 16 yr old girl). Her birthday isn't until May but she guessed it early so we gave it to her, heck, we'd been dying to play with it ourselves for nearly two weeks so we were more than ready to give it to her. Anyway, we went out for our first kyak/canoe adventure just for practice at a lake near our home yesterday and she did great!! We're looking to snag our first boat cache next weekend if things -like tides- go right.

So, big thanks to camandjohn for starting this thread - we'll be watching it for ideas.

I originally started this thread looking for fresh water caches since my boat doesn't go in salt. places like lake WA, Samamish, Alder, Baker, Etc. In many of the mountain lakes there are small islands that would be perfect. It looks as though there aren't many caches like that in existence so I guess I'll have to try this whole placing a cache thing and hope it catches on. Looks like there's some interest so good luck to all and hope to see you on the water.

Edited by camandjohn

I originally started this thread looking for fresh water caches since my boat doesn't go in salt. places like lake WA, Samamish, Alder, Baker, Etc. In many of the mountain lakes there are small islands that would be perfect. It looks as though there aren't many caches like that in existence so I guess I'll have to try this whole placing a cache thing and hope it catches on. Looks like there's some interest so good luck to all and hope to see you on the water.

If you look at all the sugested caches I would guess that at least 50% are fresh water caches.

If you look at all the sugested caches I would guess that at least 50% are fresh water caches.

So you are correct apparently I did not look close enough. Even so I think there could be many more.

Up north, I've got a cartopper boat cache at Lake Samish, just south of Bellingham (GCNRT1). There's another canoe/kayak cache at Lake Padden, also in Bellingham (GCQ72D).

I've got another small boat cache at Baker Lake, east of Sedro Woolley, available seasonally -- GCJP85

Just remembered another one -- this cache is on a small lake on Orcas Island GCJY2N

Edited by Half-Canadian