New To Gps

As you look at a gps unit screen is the top of the screen always north or is the top of the screen the direction you are moving??? For instance if I am walking south and the cache is off to my right does it show off to the right side of the screen. Does this make sense? The reason for asking is I am going to start looking for a unit and I am not sure what to look for. ;)

As you look at a gps unit screen is the top of the screen always north or is the top of the screen the direction you are moving??? For instance if I am walking south and the cache is off to my right does it show off to the right side of the screen. Does this make sense? The reason for asking is I am going to start looking for a unit and I am not sure what to look for. ;)

I can't speak for the other makes but the Garmin units give you the setup option of either "track up" or "north up". I prefer northup myself but everyone has different tastes so having a choice is great.

When in trackup, the entire map display will rotate to accomodate your direction of travel where in northup only the little black triangle (you) will rotate and point at your direction of travel.

Cheers, Olar

If you have Track Up selected, and you don't have very good reception, the error could cause the unit to "wander" and that would cause your map page to spin even though you're not even moving.

I'm old-school. I'm used to reading maps oriented North Up, so that's my preference all the time. But it is nice to have the turn warning page flash the upcoming turn in a track-up configuration.

Edited by Neo_Geo

Just seemed to me if when driving it would be easier to be pointed the way you were driving so the next turn was as you saw it instead of upside down or sideways.

That very well might be the case for you. When you get your unit, try it both ways and then make up your mind which way works best for YOU! :D

If you have it set to North up, and are headed due south, any landmarks you see on your right will appear on the left side of the GPS Screen. It can be a bit disorienting, and you sometimes have to think about where you are.

good luck with your Cx. I am sure you will love it!

Edited by CenTexDodger