Microsoft Streets

cad-guy

I have microsoft streets software. Is there a way to import loc, or gpx files so I can see them in the program? Thanks for any help.

Don't know how many ways there are to do it but I do it with the GSAK program.

Load them into GSAK. Then go to "File" ...then "Export"... then "Microsoft Streets & Trips text file".

Now go to your MS S&T's program & open the "Data" ...... then "Import Data Wizard"... then look for the "csv" file that you saved from the GSAK program & load it.

I have microsoft streets software. Is there a way to import loc, or gpx files so I can see them in the program? Thanks for any help.

(hand in air, jumping up and down) "I KNOW THIS ONE, PICK ME, I KNOW THIS ONE!!!"

Just asked this one and learned how to do it. Ridiculously easy (at least if you have GSAK - other software may do it to . . .)

In GSAK

Import the .gpx files you wish to use

Use any search filters you wish to apply

Choose 'File', 'Export', 'Microsoft Streets & Trips Text File'

(Under Waypoint Code you may wish to use "%code" to export your GCxxxx names)

'Generate'

In M$ S&T

Choose 'Data'

'Import Data Wizard'

I think that will catch the steps. In case I may have omitted a step, here is the link I was given when I asked the same question: Import Data Into M$ Streets & Trips

JohnTee

Thanks for asking this questions and getting me started, but I am still having a terrible time with it.

When I try to Export from GSAK - it tells me Note: Do not try to open the file that GSAK generates – it should be imported (see import wizard)

It won’t save anything as a “text file”

So I go to MS S&T and it looks for what file GSAK has saved, but it hasn't saved anything. In fact I looked in every folder and none of them even show files in text format. What am I doing wrong? I even tried to save it in the CVS format, but then can't seem to find it once I try to Import it.

I looked at the link "Import Data Into M$ Streets & Trips" and it talks about downloading GPS Babel. Must I download that to get it to work, and if so, which one for Windows XP? There were so many choices.

You will be looking for a file ending in .csv

Right below the red-text warning is a text-box where the location of the file to be save is entered. Look there and you will see something like:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\export.csv

That is the location of the file you need to import into S&T

Thanks for asking this questions and getting me started, but I am still having a terrible time with it.

When I try to Export from GSAK - it tells me Note: Do not try to open the file that GSAK generates – it should be imported (see import wizard)

Ignore all that. I have no idea what it means. It just popped up in a recent update of GSAK

All you have to do is is this:

1. In GSAK get your database of caches that you want to map. (filter and sort it as you like -GSAK has pretty good help on this)

2. Click file on the top menu bar and then click export in the drop down menu. Then click Microsoft streets and trips file.

3. In the box that appears,i n the text file to creat box, name your file and show where you want to save it.

Mine go into C:\Documents and Settings\My Documents\Geocaching\csv files. Do what ever works for you.

Just name it and put it where you can find it. Then click generate and then OK to close the box.It will be saved as a .csv file (whatever that is) Ignore that stuff about Babel under the hood.

4. Open Streets and trips and click on Data in the top bar menu and then on Import data Wizard. This brings up a browse through files box. Find the file you just made and saved. Click on it and click open.

5. There are a number of things you can adjust in Streets and Trips at this point but I don't understand them so I just use the defalt settings as they are. Click next and then click finish on the next screen and PRESTO

A nice map full of push pins showing the locations of the caches in your data base. You can zoom in for great detail.

Neva P, who usually figures out which buttons to push and just assumes it's all done by magic.

It will be saved as a .csv file (whatever that is)

That would be a Comma Separated Values (CSV) File format :anicute:

NERD ALERT..... :yikes: