Cachemate Question

you might try THIS thread

as i see it there is no way to use the search on your palm while looking by way point at this time, I wish it did do this it would make it much easier to just go to a specific cache. what you are doing now with the graffiti is how it is done at this time (while in way point mode) not as easy in my opinion especially with 7000 way points loaded as i have. ;)

I don't use the Search function to find a Name or Waypoint, I just "write" the first letter of the cache I am looking in the Graffiti box.

Have you tried that?

Excellent suggestion.

You can also write the first successive letters thereafter. Say you're looking for GCMN41. Start writing in the graffiti box.. "G" "C" "M" and keep going until it finds what you want. Since there's few caches that begin with GCM in MY local cachemate database, it finds it fast.

I sort by waypoint, so this works well for me.

I don't use the Search function to find a Name or Waypoint, I just "write" the first letter of the cache I am looking in the Graffiti box.

Have you tried that?

Excellent suggestion.

You can also write the first successive letters thereafter. Say you're looking for GCMN41. Start writing in the graffiti box.. "G" "C" "M" and keep going until it finds what you want. Since there's few caches that begin with GCM in MY local cachemate database, it finds it fast.

I sort by waypoint, so this works well for me.

And to make it even easier, if you are a GSAK user, you can configure GSAK to drop the 'GC' and your listing would be MN41. Two less letters to scratch out on the pda. Hey! I'm left-handed so give me a break. :ph34r:

Cheers, Olar

And to make it even easier, if you are a GSAK user, you can configure GSAK to drop the 'GC' and your listing would be MN41. Two less letters to scratch out on the pda. Hey! I'm left-handed so give me a break. :ph34r:

Cheers, Olar

Ugh. OMG. I never thought of that... [gears turning]

I use the Smart Name feature of GSAK to get a short version of the cache name, the Type of cache, the Size of the container, and the Difficulty and Terrain of the cache.

%smart %con1%typ1%Dif1%Ter1

That is really handy to have on the GPSr . . . and on Cachemate. It makes searching for the cache much easier. :ph34r:

yes... in gsak, during your export for the waypoint code... (I think the default was %smart) enter %drop2 that drops off the 'GC' I do that for my export to the GPS as well.

Another tip... for the waypoint comment, I have "%typ1 %con1 (%diff/%terr) %name by %by"

gives me the cache type and container size on the GPS. I'm thinking about incorporating them into the waypoint as well. (%drop2-%typ1%con1)

I use the Smart Name feature of GSAK to get a short version of the cache name, the Type of cache, the Size of the container, and the Difficulty and Terrain of the cache.

That is really handy to have on the GPSr . . . and on Cachemate. It makes searching for the cache much easier. :ph34r:

I find that %smart isn't smart enough for me, plus it adds an extra step to figure the actual waypoint name if I'm trying to tell someone what cache I'm refering to. there are several similar named caches in are areas making smart not as useful.

That is really handy to have on the GPSr . . . and on Cachemate. It makes searching for the cache much easier. :anibad:

I tried the smart name stuff.. just couldn't get it. The waypoint number works so much better. Next time I get my PQs and export to GPS/CMT i'm going to try that drop first 2 letter thing.