Leg Protection Against Snake Bite

I occassionally use gaiters which I hate 'cause they make my feet hot. I can only imagine the snake gaiters will be even hotter. Hence, I use a collapsible hiking stick ($11 at Walmart) that I carry in my backpack; it's better than nothing at all.

I always wear shorts..don't have any longs, and am frequently wading alone thro' vegetation in the Tropics.

I can't carry a heavy pair of canvas trousers, (cycling)..any ideas please. I have seen quite a few cobras crossing tracks, but it's the one's I don't see that worry me.

Yesterday I was walking through a very green, grassy area where I didn't think about snakes at all . . . not the way I do when I'm climbing around on a rock pile.

I heard this deep rattling sound :ph34r: long before I saw the rattlesnake slither off under a huge jade plant.

Like Chuy, I use my walking stick. On the remainder of that hike, I had it out in front of me, tapping the ground, the way a blind person uses their white cane.

Good Stuff, I'm going to try to make some.

Any herpotologist ??? know what thickness shim steel is

needed to blunt an attack ?

Against what? What area, what snakes?

Metal is rarely used. For rattlers, 1000 Denier Cordura is common - also known as "viper cloth".

personally, I wouldn't make it and depend upon it. Unless you have the equipment or handling experience to test it repeatedly...

Edited by Adrenalynn
:D I work for a company in the U.S. that makes snake chaps,and personally went with the owner to the Miami Serpentarium for testing, that is one of the most interesting places I've ever been. If you are interested, e-mail me off list for our website. :D Edited by 57chevy

:D I work for a company in the U.S. that makes snake chaps,and personally went with the owner to the Miami Serpentarium for testing, that is one of the most interesting places I've ever been. If you are interested, e-mail me off list for our website. :D

Hey 'Chevy,

That's pretty cool! I've been to the Miami Serpentarium half a dozen times. Neat place!

Were they doing strike testing during your stay? I love to shoot strike tests... A real challenge. :D

Please feel free to drop me an email. My boots are getting pretty ragged, and I'm contemplating buying new boots in the immediate future. I'd also love to talk with some rep about how geocaching differs from hunting, and knowing both snakes and caching - what I'd love to see in a boot. Gotta admit the market size is there...

My current favorite is the Rocky Outback 4500 Ladies

The nato-style rapid lace is nice, as are the speed locks at the ankle and calf. But it's a HEAVY boot for light hiking...

For those questioning above: Cordura 1000 _should_ stop a cobra. They tend to strike higher, though, so a higher chap is also necessary. Careful if you go full-chaps as they tend to be very stiff and hard to move in. If I were in cobra country and worried about bites, I'd probably go a 3/4 chap with Cordura 1000 over polycarb. But I'm not a designer. Don't know if Chevy's company does outside-US stuff, but he might be the better one to comment.