Vacation To The Black Hills

VENTUREMAN7/ "A" TEAM"

VENTUREMAN7/ "A" TEAM" We will be taking our Family Vacation to the Black Hills the first Week of June. We will be staying in the Hill City Area for 5 Days. This is our Childrens first trip to S.D (Daughter 12 yrs, Son 9 yrs.) There are so many great Attractions to see in the Black Hills, so we dont know how much time we will have for Geocaching. (Anyone that knows our Family will know we will find time to Cache!!!!) We are interested in about 10-15 GREAT Caches, with a Scenic View , and a nice Hike. Can anyone give their advice for this Area. THANK YOU in Advance!!!! ~VENTUREMAN7~

An area that you might like is the Flume Trail south of Sheridan Lake. If you search on this cache, GCQG6K, and then search for nearby caches you will get about a half dozen that follow the trail. The Flume is something your average tourist might not hear about. Terrain is a little rocky in spots, but "mostly" level.

VENTUREMAN7/ "A" TEAM" Can anyone give their advice for this Area.

IF you don't want spoiled with the beauty of the caches in this area, don't do the first one.

Judy and I have gone to the hills caching on two ocassions and have truly enjoyed the experience. But we like a moderate hike combined with a regular cache in a rural area.

It is so difficult to pick caches because of the quality of most are just spectular. AND that is not an exageration.

But since you asked for specifics: Here is one of our favorites

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...f6-efbef980920b

Enjoy the experience.......

Judy&Dick

I will second the Flume trail as a great family hike and an area with MANY caches around... for that matter the hills are just packed with 'em. I will ask around and see if anyone else our here has some input (We live in Spearfish, SD N 44° 29.145 W 103° 51.128). Hope you enjoy your trip, Hill City is in the middle of it all.

:(

Our family also thinking of taking a vacation to this area this summer.

Hopefully this isn't to off topic. Please contact me via my profile.

We are looking for things (besides geocaching) :-), to keep a 9 year old boy interested.

Any recommendations on lodging, what to do, what to see etc. We plan on seeing Crazy Horse, Mt. Rushmore, the Badlands etc. We would like to find either a cabin/resort type of rental or if they have any resorts built with families and kids in mind. For example here in Ohio we have Great Wolf Lodge, hotel with an indoor water park. Lots of go carts, mini golf, etc. We are looking for some things like that to keep my son occupied. ;)

Thanks in advance.

Eric

If you and your family do not have any disabilities and are in good health, you might enjoy this while visiting:

http://crazyhorse.org/events/volksmarch.shtml, something you can 1 up the Jones on if you time your vacation with the weekend the have it.

A lot of the race track type stuff is located on US-16 just south of Rapid City. Maze, Ranch Amusement Park, Waterslide Park, Bear Country, Reptile Gardens. If you have a week, I suggest you research Spearfish Canyon Lodge south of Spearfish too. Also we have 6 or 7 nice caves to tour around the hills, 2 are managed by the national park service. http://blackhillsattractions.com/ has a list of attactions too.

The kids and I were in Hill City just last weekend and I must say that the best cache I have been to, and one of the neatest places I have seen in a while was 'Gold Mountain Cache'. It is an abandoned gold mine, complete with buildings and shafts (use MUCH caution around these). It is a short, easy drive from Hill City. It is not far off the maintained road, and will give you a unique look back at the true history of the hills.

Next, although its not a cache, I have to say DO NOT miss the Black Hills Institute of Geology, its right on the main street in Hill City. It has full size dinosaur skeletons, fossils, minerals, etc etc...all for free! The kids and I travel this area 10-12 times a year at least and they always want to stop here!!!

Edited by team5150

VENTUREMAN7/ "A" TEAM" Well we made our Vacation

Trip to the Black hills, and I will have to say "We had a GREAT time!!" Our favorite Cache was

"Little Devils Tower" The hike was a Challenge for the Adults, and our 12 year old, our 9 year old

made it look sooo... easy! The View from the top as worth every step that we took!! THANK YOU.

Team Family Affair!!! We were able to do a few other caches while in the area, all were very fun,

and was enjoyed by the whole Family! Anyone thinking of the Black Hills for a Caching adventure,

we give it..... 2 THUMBS UP!!!!