Bug Repellent & Deet

Just another 2 cents worth but theres another new product out that I've had execellent results with on mosquitoes. You'll have to google it as I don't have the web site handy. It's called Bugband, its deet free, it contains Geraniol

Can't find anything on the web about this, except regurgitations of the compay's own press release. The only studies on it that I can find were performed by the same group that developed it. I'll wait until there's some objective outside studies.

Just another 2 cents worth but theres another new product out that I've had execellent results with on mosquitoes. You'll have to google it as I don't have the web site handy. It's called Bugband, its deet free, it contains Geraniol

Can't find anything on the web about this, except regurgitations of the compay's own press release. The only studies on it that I can find were performed by the same group that developed it. I'll wait until there's some objective outside studies.

Never heard of it until now. Their own literature seems to be a bit of an exaggeration. They claim it is more effective than DEET, but also equated DEET to cintronella as far as effectiveness. There really is no comparison between DEET and citronella, so you have to wonder about their methods.

But I did find this review in Backpacker online. According to them it does work, but doesn't last very long:

BugBand Geraniol Insect Repellent

Don't let the lemon-fresh scent fool you; this natural repellent works wonders if you apply it diligently. The plant extract geraniol, an alternative to deet, fends off mosquitoes and other biting pests as well as deet-based products do-for about 2 hours. Repeated application can get annoying, but the paper napkin-sized towelettes pack well and they can be stored in a zipper-lock bag for future applications.

Ok, don't yell if this has been asked before. However, has anyone ever considered using dog flea/tick collars? I assume these could be carried or worn around the ankles. Is there a reason this won't work?

Number one, they are toxic. Number two, it would stop the fleas from biting your ankles. The rest of you won't be protected.

Ok, don't yell if this has been asked before. However, has anyone ever considered using dog flea/tick collars? I assume these could be carried or worn around the ankles. Is there a reason this won't work?

Number one, they are toxic. Number two, it would stop the fleas from biting your ankles. The rest of you won't be protected.

Ok, this begs another question. If they only would protect my ankles, how do they protect the whole dog, and not just the dog's head and neck?

Aren't they toxic for dogs?

I was thinking that if I had to spend a romantic night in a tent in the woods with my sweetie-pie, would I rather her be wearing

1) deet 2) soy oil 3) chocolate syrup ? :):):)

If there are bears around I'd be wearing the Deet ...

Good point! Do bears like Soy Beans? What do you use for bear repellant?

I'm with Briansnat--with all the dread illnesses carried by bugs, I'm using the most effective repellent I can get, and that's still DEET. One bout of an insect-borne disease will have far more effect on your health and longevity than exposure to DEET.

What you say is very true. But on the other hand, how many people died from west nile virus last year? How many died from the common flu?

I agree that insect borne diseases are important to think about. And as I said, I often use deet myself. But I also use alternatives now'n'then, for the pleasantness reasons stated above. It's important to be concerned about insect borne diseases, true. But it's also important to live a ... errr "pleasantly smelling" life at times. So sometimes I choose to forgo the histeria about a mere handful of incidents of insect borne disease. Did you get flu shots last fall? Thousands of people in the US die from the common flu each year. Yet most of us don't bother with the shots. (I don't ... Perhaps I should).

How many people wore silly dust masks to protect themselves from SARS during that craze?

Of course, if you're gonna be tromping through the underbrush in a known tick infested area in the North East US which has lots of lime disease... Then use deet. It's all a judgement call. Just don't get too paranoid about things like the asian bird flu... And space aliens form venus with mind control rays or flouride in the water to spread comunism...

Ok, this begs another question. If they only would protect my ankles, how do they protect the whole dog, and not just the dog's head and neck?

Aren't they toxic for dogs?

They really don't protect the whole dog. If you've ever owned one you know. I've found fleas happily dwelling in the back half of my dog even though it was wearing a flea collar.

And yes in some cases they can be toxic for dogs (many vets do not recommend their extended use) , but much more so for humans. Moisture can suddenly release large amounts of the active ingredient (a variety of pesticides depending on brand) from the collar. Dogs don't sweat the way humans do. The pesticides in flea collars are not approved for human use. Now you put one on a person and he's out hiking and sweating, so these pesticides are leaching from the collar and being absorbed into the skin. Hmmmm. Nah, I think I'll stick with a proven safe and effective repellent like DEET.

Edited by briansnat

These wrist band products containing several different formulations have proven in tests to be basically useless. The study previously mentioned included one or more of them.

I also think I've seen tests of Geraniol that showed it to be of poor effectiveness.

Part of the problem is that insect repellants don't actually repell insects. Rather, they mask the things about your body that attract them to you.

A wrist band with almost anything, including deet, will only mask a tiny portion of the tasty smells your whole body is giving off.

These wrist band products containing several different formulations have proven in tests to be basically useless. The study previously mentioned included one or more of them.

I also think I've seen tests of Geraniol that showed it to be of poor effectiveness.

Part of the problem is that insect repellants don't actually repell insects. Rather, they mask the things about your body that attract them to you.

A wrist band with almost anything, including deet, will only mask a tiny portion of the tasty smells your whole body is giving off.

As I understand it, Bugband is a liquid applied to the skin. Not a wrist band.

Edit: I looked at their website and it comes in a liquid, a gel and a wrist band. I agree with Headybrew. Everything I've read has shown wrist bands to be ineffective.

Edited by briansnat

A long time ago, I read that taking "extra" doses of vitamin E will keep the mosquito off your body. Does anyone do this?

I am a skeptic about most things. But I did try this once. It's only anecdotal evidence from a sample of one (me) but it does include a control group...

I read this years ago, a few months before departing on a trip to central america with 7 other people, packed in two vehicles and headed for malaria teritory.

I started taking Vitamin E (was it E or B? uhh... better check...) a month before the trip. You need to take large doses. several times the RDA.

Well, it worked fantastically! All 7 of my tripmates were slathering themselves with various chemicals. (including deet). And all 7 of them compalined constantly about the incessant bug bites. Some were scratching big red holes intot there arms and ankles.

I waited to apply the chemicals untill I felt I needed it... And for most of the trip, I never did. I only counted 2 or three bites that I was aware of getting, while everyone else complained. Still, when I hit the panama canal zone, I used the chemicals. Malaria is bad stuff!

This is, of course, anecdotal evidence. So don't take my word for it. Try it yourself. If anyone knows of an actual study published by a credible journal about this, I'd love to see it.

I haven't tried it since then, since it takes so much planning and consistency to take it every day and start a month before you need it. And even vitamins can be bad for you in too large a dose. Also, I have no idea if it protects againts a broad range or insects, or only the mosquitos and such. Or if maybe it was just my particular smell that central american bugs dont' like...

if so, I wish north american bugs felt the same way... :)

Some soldiers of the British army have somehow discovered that an effective repellent against the very common flying/biting insects such as midges is a branded skin cream called Avon Skin-so-soft.

I'm surprised the manufacturers haven't yet produced a midge repellent cream based on what ever ingredient in that stuff repels midges because most mosquito repellent creams simply don't work against the very common Scottish highland midges.

Some soldiers of the British army have somehow discovered that an effective repellent against the very common flying/biting insects such as midges is a branded skin cream called Avon Skin-so-soft.

I'm surprised the manufacturers haven't yet produced a midge repellent cream based on what ever ingredient in that stuff repels midges because most mosquito repellent creams simply don't work against the very common Scottish highland midges.

Studies have shown Skin-so-soft is about as effective as distilled water.

Yeah that's vitimin B you are thinking of. Garlic capsules help too.

I don't know if any studies have been done confirming garlic's effectiveness, but from my observation it seems to. I take garlic capsules daily and during bug season I'm relatively untouched by skeeters, while people around me are getting swarmed. Same with ticks. I'll walk through a field with others and they will have ticks all over and I may get one or two.

I've used a product called Sawyer's controlled release for several years with much success. It contains DEET which is encapsulated in a protein that is not absorbable by skin. Rather than being absorbed by the body, it sits on top of the skin and protects from bug bites. I've purchased this product from EMS (eastern mountain sports). I've also soaked my clothes in pymethrin which keeps the ticks off through several washings. Its a pretty heavy duty chemical however. My uncle swears by the vitamin E method. I've yet to try it myself.

Redtail

Could you provide a link to that study?

Studies I have seen indicated that it did have some effectiveness, but just not for very long.

To be clear here, I'm talking about the original skin-so-soft. It wasn't untill later that avon added intentional repellants to it.

In my experience... And again this is just my anecdotal evidence...

Years ago when skin-so-soft first came out and the rumor spread that it repelled bugs, I used it. And it worked wonders against mosquitos and black flies. (the two biggest annoyances in the great state o' Maine)

Avon tried to do downplay that useage, but so many people bought it for that purpose that they eventually gave up and actually added chemical repellents to it. Probably because they couldn't claim it was effective unless they used an FDA approved "active ingredient".

Skin-So-Soft

Avon (New York, New York) Skin-So-Soft bath oil received considerable media attention several years ago when some consumers reported it to be effective as a mosquito repellent. When tested under laboratory conditions against Aedes aegypti mosquitoes, this product's effective half-life was 30 minutes. Against Aedes albopictus, Skin-So-Soft oil provided 40 minutes of protection from bites, a duration 10 times less than that of 12.5% DEET [46]. It has been proposed that the limited mosquito repellent effect of Skin-So-Soft oil could be caused by its fragrance or the presence of diisopropyl adipate and benzophenone in the formulation, both of which have some repellent activity [40]. Avon now markets products under the Skin-So-Soft label that contain an EPA-recognized repellent (Table 5).

http://www.annals.org/cgi/content/full/128/11/931

The above study has lots of interesting info about Deet, Permethrin, etc. I was looking for info on Vitamin B. There is one reference in this study which says it is not effective. But I'd like to know how much was taken and for how long, etc. Many said Skin So Soft was not effectve either.

Another thing to consider is what species the said effectiveness applies to. An excellent mosquito repellent may not be a good tick repellent...

Also, if something is pleasant and effective for a short time, one may preferr to reapply it often, rather than choose one that is unpleasant but effective much longer. It's all a choice.

Edited by headybrew

I've used skin-so-soft as a flea dip. Works great. As for the skeetos, I stick with DEET. Deep Woods or Sportsman OFF! and you're safe for awhile. Proven safe for over 50 years. I just stay away from the 100% stuff.

edit: To clarify, I dipped my DOG, not myself.

Edited by Marcie/Eric

I've used skin-so-soft as a flea dip. Works great. As for the skeetos, I stick with DEET. Deep Woods or Sportsman OFF! and you're safe for awhile. Proven safe for over 50 years. I just stay away from the 100% stuff.

edit: To clarify, I dipped my DOG, not myself.

So you're saying that between the two of you, your dog is the one who has soft skin and smells good?

:lol:

Could you provide a link to that study?

Studies I have seen indicated that it did have some effectiveness, but just not for very long.

Here ya' go. Effectiveness ranges from 3 to 10 minutes. In my book, that's about as effective as distilled water. Actually, I'd rather have the distilled water. At least I'd be hydrated. ;)

BTW, the study also says... There is no scientific evidence that eating garlic, vitamins, onions, or any other food will make a person repellent to mosquitoes. The attractant level of each individual to biting arthropods is based on a complex interaction of many chemical and visual signals. Certain foods in certain individuals may effect their individual attractiveness to biting arthropods, for better or for worse.

Here ya' go. Effectiveness ranges from 3 to 10 minutes. In my book, that's about as effective as distilled water. Actually, I'd rather have the distilled water. At least I'd be hydrated. :(

Hmmm. The study I mentioned said 40 minutes. (still not as good as deet) I guess that's basically saying, Y(study's)MMV. ;)

BTW, the study also says... There is no scientific evidence that eating garlic, vitamins, onions, or any other food will make a person repellent to mosquitoes. The attractant level of each individual to biting arthropods is based on a complex interaction of many chemical and visual signals. Certain foods in certain individuals may effect their individual attractiveness to biting arthropods, for better or for worse.

So I guess that's saying Y(body's)MMV. ;)

I, being a skeptic myself, got ahold of a couple BugBandz last summer. I am in a Lyme Disease Hot Zone, and the skeeter is the state bird. The BugBandz worked well for me, my kids and my bride. I am trying to find a case of them for this season. The active chemical it uses is mixed with inert compounds for the band, it is also a gel which works well and pellets for animal bedding, playgrounds, etc. I love em. But then, its just me.