Buying My First Gps Unit

wzilla

I can only offer my opinion regarding the GPSmap 60C, what I use. I also have the streets software for it (helps a lot but not mandatory). Pretty easy to use as far as I am concerned, I use it alot for getting around town, although I know my way, it is nice to see what route it thinks I should take. I have used a basic etrex, GPS72 and a GPS60 (basic model). All have worked fine for my needs.

Is the electronic compass good and worth the money? Does the barometric altimeter get used?

The compass works great and useful. You have to decide if its worth the money. A $10 handheld will work equally well, if not better. For me the altimeter is more of a curiousity thing. I haven't had a NEED for it, but sometimes like to see how much I've climbed over a hike.

My vote is for the Legend Cx. My wife and I have one each and love them. With the Mapsource CS software they autoroute and with a bigger card get quite an area onboard. We use ours for geocaching mainly. I find it great for it's small size yet the screen is big enough when driving. Of the ones you've picked the Legend Cx is the one. More expensive units will be even better (have bigger screens etc) but I can't sayenough good things about my Cx

Hi, All

im a newbe going to buy my first gps unit

wold like your help

Im looking at

Garmin eTrex Vista

Garmin GPSMAP 60

Garmin Legend Cx

I would like to know what you think is the best for a newbe

thanks wzilla (bill) :ph34r:

Thank you all

I think im going to get the GPSMAP 60c or the GPSMAP 60csx

I will see how my next check gose

then I will buy one of the two :D

Thank Bill

I'd go for the Legend Cx. I personally don;t have any experience with that unit, but I do have the Vista Cx, and enjoy it very much so. The expandable memory is great, and so is the reception. As for the barometer, it is a fun thing to have. Not completely necessary, I admit but fun to look at elevation plots. AS for the electronic compass, it wotks well, but it does need tobe calibrated. But I'm just a gadget-head. I like tech-toys.

[Thank you all

then I will buy one of the two :D

Thank Bill

I've found my new Garmin 60CSx to be outstanding. No buyers remorse in any sense of the term.

Hi, All

wold like your help

Im looking at

Garmin eTrex Vista

Garmin GPSMAP 60

Garmin Legend Cx

thanks wzilla (bill) :tired:

Well All I could not wait

So I got the Etrex Legend plus the mapsource US topo software

[Thank you all

then I will buy one of the two :huh:

Thank Bill

I've found my new Garmin 60CSx to be outstanding. No buyers remorse in any sense of the term.

I've had my 60CSx for a week now and really like it. The compass feature is great for geocaching and the auto routing going to work today was easy to follow. I was able to load both the San Diego and LA regions from the City Streets software with a little room to spare. I may invest in a bigger SD card though for topo maps.

Enjoy!

[Thank you all

then I will buy one of the two :huh:

Thank Bill

I've had my 60CSx for a week now and really like it. The compass feature is great for geocaching and the auto routing going to work today was easy to follow. I was able to load both the San Diego and LA regions from the City Streets software with a little room to spare. I may invest in a bigger SD card though for topo maps.

Enjoy!

well good news

I got the Garmin eTrex Legend

bad news

don't like it dose not work well in woods

taking it back

Good news I got the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx

LOVE IT works great

thats why im taking the legend back

Not sure if you;d like any more choices but I personally like my Lowrance iFinder. Its not a super popular brand but it works great. Comes with an easy mode for beginners and an advanced mode once you get used to it.

The Lowrance does indeed have features found in units costing twice as much or more. However, I got a Lowrance Go2 for Christmas, and before February was over, I'd exchanged my second one 'cause they quit working. Stick with the good name brands, so far my Garmin is serving me well.

Hi, All

wold like your help

Im looking at

Garmin eTrex Vista

Garmin GPSMAP 60

Garmin Legend Cx

thanks wzilla (bill) :(

Have had my Garmin GPSmap 60CSx for a few weeks now, and even if it is a fairly expensive toy, it is truly a technological marvel. Do not regret I got the CSx version that has got altimeter and compass. At least the compass is very usefil when Geocaching.

In addition to maps, I ended up buying a 512MB microSD card, and will be buying mounting brackets for both my bike and my car.

Best regards,

Kjell Are

Have had my Garmin GPSmap 60CSx for a few weeks now, and even if it is a fairly expensive toy, it is truly a technological marvel. Do not regret I got the CSx version that has got altimeter and compass. At least the compass is very usefil when Geocaching.

In addition to maps, I ended up buying a 512MB microSD card, and will be buying mounting brackets for both my bike and my car.

Best regards,

Kjell Are

Cool

good stuff

Hi, All

wold like your help

Im looking at

Garmin eTrex Vista

Garmin GPSMAP 60

Garmin Legend Cx

thanks wzilla (bill) :)

hi im in same boat as you but am looking at the magellan explorist 400 and 600 anyone out there that can advise if either is right for rookie geocacher