What Is A Muggler?

lostandfound4

Some people get muggles wrong and call it mugglers.

"Watch out there are mugglers around" So it could be that as well.

You're right that muggler is wrong. Here's how I think it came about.

The original term was "muggle". Later, people started to refer to caches that had been stolen or vandalized as having been "muggled". People who heard the term "muggled", but were unfamiliar with the original "muggle", assumed that the people who "muggled" must therefor be "mugglers".

You're right that muggler is wrong. Here's how I think it came about.

The original term was "muggle". Later, people started to refer to caches that had been stolen or vandalized as having been "muggled". People who heard the term "muggled", but were unfamiliar with the original "muggle", assumed that the people who "muggled" must therefor be "mugglers".

I like RKs other response as well.

Early on in the sport someone wanted to have a name for the those people who would see you wandering around staring at a GPSr while searching for the cache and wondered what you were doing. The word muggle was suggested. This word was taken from the Harry Potter books where it refers to an ordinary person who isn't a wizard.

Sometime muggles find caches accidently. Usually they just sign the log but sometimes they take the cache. Perhaps the muggle is the gardener or groundskeeper and thinks they are removing trash, or perhaps some kids found a hidden treasure and take it. Soon caches that went missing were said to have been muggled.

But, as in Harry Potter, they are evil wizards. On a few occasions, there have been people that use the GC.com website and GPSr to find caches and remove them. Sometime they are land managers who are removing caches placed without permission but in other cases they are simply maggots.

Other than maggot there is no (accepted) term for muggles the remove a cache either due to ignorance or in some official capacity. Perhaps as RK suggests, muggler could be used here.

But, as in Harry Potter, they are evil wizards.

Ok, not to be picky here, but the original context of muggle in Harry Potter is a non magical person, not a evil wizard.

To stay on topic, Muggle => a non geocacher

I had to read that twice too. He meant cache mugglers.

But, as in Harry Potter, they are evil wizards.

Ok, not to be picky here, but the original context of muggle in Harry Potter is a non magical person, not a evil wizard.

To stay on topic, Muggle => a non geocacher

I had to read that twice too. He meant cache mugglers.

I meant to point out that cache maggots, unlike muggles, know about geocaching and are likely to be using a GPSr to find the caches they steal or loot.