Garmin 60csx Vs Magellan Xl Pro Cons

This is my first post in this forum but I have been tracking this forum for awhile now. I have found lots of information regarding software/hardware but it hasn't seemed to help.

This thread is NOT meant to start any flames, I'd only hope it will help me in making a decision.

I have been debating between the Garmin 60CSx and the Magellan XL for over a month.

The device will be used mostly for geocaching,however listing PRO's or Con's for Navagation will be helpful.

What I thought would help me in making a decision is if owners of both GPS could list 5 Pro's of why they love their GPS and 5 reasons that they don't. Or list what you can for Pro's/Con's and the type of GPS you have.

Thanks for any help...

SheBee's Adventure :)

If by navigation you include using the GPS to autoroute in your car, read this thread. It points out the advantages of Garmin's autorouting over Magellan's. The advantage the XL would offer is the larger, easier to see screen.

Garmin's customer support is looking a lot better these days than Magellan's, too.

The explorist line has a better file management system, allowing for hierarchal organization of multiple waypoint files.

[i have been debating between the Garmin 60CSx and the Magellan XL for over a month.

The device will be used mostly for geocaching,however listing PRO's or Con's for Navagation will be helpful.

What I thought would help me in making a decision is if owners of both GPS could list 5 Pro's of why they love their GPS and 5 reasons that they don't. Or list what you can for Pro's/Con's and the type of GPS you have.]

This is a bump to get more replies..Thanks

What I'm looking for is a response to this effect

Example ONLY(this doesn't reflect a true statement of the NUVI)

NUVI 350

PRO

accuracy

accepts many waypoints

small

file storage

big screen

CONS

customer support

few updates to firmware

hardware malfunctions

inacurate maps

I wish it had more choices of screens

Thanks again

I have a friend who owns three Magallans, all of which became "paperweights." One was less than a year old, covered by the Extended Warranty, and it took him weeks to get Magellan Customer Support to help him. :P

He bought the new Garmin GPSMap60CSx . . .

Do a Search of these Forums for Garmin Customer Support. They are great about fixing or replacing units if problems develop.

OK I've owned (briefly) both units. My first GPS was an Explorist 210, but I [thought] I wanted to larger size of the XL. I immediately regretted it. I really wanted the Garmin GPSMap 60CSx but I wasn't sure I wanted to crack $400 for one and I could pick up the XL for much less. 2 days later I bought the 60CSx

Here are the problems I had with the Magellan:

1. Too big

2. It takes to much time to acquire satellites, almost 2 minutes.

3. Without the backlight the display was too hard to read

4. Takes 4 AA batteries

Things I like about the Garmin

1. Easy to see without the backlight

2. I like the geocaching found function

3. Auto-routing

4. Satellite acquisition is almost instantaneous

I remembered a couple of other biggies

The Magellan documentation sucks. Just a fe pages in english along with 50 additional pages in every other language. You have to go to their website and download the manual.

The Garmin came with an awsome manual that covered every aspect of the unit, and you can get supplemental information online but it's not required.

Garmin Pro's continued

user interface - very straightforward

Magellan Pro's continued

expandable memory - great feature

HEY WAIT - the Garmin has that too! Here's the revised text:

Magellan Pro's continued

expandable memory - great feature

I just got back from a 2500 mile trip in which I used as best I could my new XL. I don't know how to geocache and probably never will, but the Xl is no where near as good as my old Garmin for back tracking. It often tells me that it doesn't have enough waypoints to back track. I haven't figured out why. Sometimes it does fine palcing waypoints. Back tracking on my Lengend was magical, but back tracking on the XL is for computer nerds. My advice- don't buy a Magellan. I will say that the batteries held up to 15 hours with the light on 95% of the time. Like already stated you can't read the thing unless the light is on. I'm sorry I bought it.

Edited by ram1000

I am not a expert by any means but I have owened both GPSR's.

I started with a Garmin Vista C and wanted more of a screen so I got the XL before a did a lot of research.

The XL

Customer Service is non existant, I sent 3 e-mail's about the extra mapsend cd included with the XL, after 2 weeks I got a reply the simply stated I need a DVD player to read it. Simple instructions on the cd cover would have solved this problem before it became one.

4 AA batteries make this a heavy piece to carry around.

You have enough time to make coffee waiting for it to get a fix on sattilites.

The large size makes it hard to find a pocket big enough to carry it in.

The base map has very little detail and leaves out a lot of smaller state routes as well as small towns.

It's not a one handed operation with the buttons at the top and the screen at the bottom.

Even with the 3 axis compass you still needed to be moving to get a fix on direction.

I know there was other things I didnt like but it was time to move on.

I did like the big screen. But it wasent enough to keep me from returning mine before the 30 day return policy was up.

I then took the money and got the 60csx and havent looked back.

The 60CSX is every thing the XL is not.

I can live with the slightly smaller screen.

Your milage may vary and Kids dont try this at home.

Even with the 3 axis compass you still needed to be moving to get a fix on direction.

There is alot of good information about the Garmin units and the Explorist units on www.gpsinformation.net

Oh, and the Explorist XL - it does not have a 3-axis compass. I wanted to double check so I sent email to the writer of the review for the XL (on gpsinformation.net) and he confirmed that it is pretty much a larger version of the Explorist 500.

Buy a 60CSx, it's a chunk of change but well worth it.

I have the new Map60Cx, and it has been nice.

* 10,000 point active tracklog

* Excellent Trip computer screen

* New Custom POI feature, and can load thousands into the GPS.

Have seen and touched the eXplorist, but will stay away, until there is

an improvement in the firmware of those GPS units.

A comparable GPS has not been mentioned, is the Lowrance Expedition C, and it is a good one with a high resolution screen at 320x240 pixels, and it has a 10,000 trackpoint active tracklog.

Edited by GOT GPS?

Thanks to all who have replied.

I have already read all the info I could find on GPSINFO.net and have followed these forums and others for 2months.

I was curious about people who owned them and what their opions were.

I have always owned GARMINS GPS V and a NUVI 350(for driving purposes ONLY)

I do like the file system on the Magellan that's what really drew me to the product. The big screen is nice but having small hands, I also found it to be bulky.

Customer support is a big issue also,firmware updates and other items that have been posted many times throughout this forum.

I planned on going with the Garmin 60CSx but I just wanted to see if I was missing anything...about both products.

:) Now I'm happy I will be purchasing my Garmin 60CSx soon

Good luck to others who may be in the same decision pattern...

I just bought a 60csx last week. All I can say is Wow! Awesome performance, great interface, great size, well designed for geocaching, works great in the car, antenna picks up 10 satellites in the in the middle of my house, makes my geocaching friends jealous, washes the dishes (OK, slight exaggeration). It's a little pricey, yet with all the software and maps, its still cheaper than a decent GPS for the car.