Blastomycosis Alert

Here's a wake up call from the northwoods of Wisconsin that I found in a Merrill, WI. newspaper. This city is located about 150 miles east of MSP, Minn. Part of the news article reports, "What started out as simple cold-like symptoms ended a Merrill 16-year-old's life only hours after Tristan "Gracie Lou" Muenchow was finally diagnosed with blastomycosis, an uncommon but potentially serious fungal infection. A dozen others in Lincoln County have reportedly been diagnosed this year, including nine in the Merrill area. Blastomycosis is caused by inhalation of spores from a fungus found in soil and rotting wood. It is not contagious. The illness may cause acute lung infection with symptoms such as fever, dry cough, chest pain and weight loss, and a persistent cough associated with the production of thick sputum. Other symptoms include muscle aches, night sweats, coughing up blood, shortness of breath and chest tightness. It is very treatable with early diagnosis. On average it takes three weeks to several months after being exposed before symptoms occur. Gracie Lou began treatment for pneumonia Feb. 6. A week later the Merrill High School junior was taken to the emergency room and airlifted to Marshfield. She died Valentine's Day. Her father, Steven, 37, also is battling the illness. A community presentation will be offered by the Lincoln Health Department Thursday, March 16, at 1 and 7 p.m., at Merrill City Hall. For more information, call 536-0307".

I don't want to get anyone paranoid, but this story is very true. Maybe washing your hands or taking a shower if you have time after coming in from geocaching may be a good idea? I plan on sending this on to Geocaching.com for their thoughts. Hiding caches inside dead logs or rotting out stumps might not be as great of an idea anymore?? The condition is not that common, but Google up "blastomycosis" and read up on it if you're concerned. Please spread the word. Thanks!

I'm a physician in Milwaukee and I will tell you that blasto is primarily an inhailed organism that rarely causes problems. Washing hands, although always a good idea, would not likely offer any protection.

This is a freak incident and I would not change any current routines. It is very unfortunate, but likely those patients were somehow predisposed to this infection.

Get out and enjoy the outdoors!

Have to echo what has been said above. Sounds like a freak accident to me. Also, given that it is an inhaled fungi (even given in the article) doesn't sound like hand washing/showering is going to add much protection (although if you smell, your family will thank you for it anyways...)