Copy Travel Bug Tag

scaw

Ive had an email saying a cache one of my Travel Bugs was in has been muggled and there is nothing left of it so my TB has gone to :anicute: what needs to be done to release the copy do i just attatch it to something and let it loose again or do i need to notifie someone?

My EU coin has vanished too not having a good caching time at the mo :wub:

Ive had an email saying a cache one of my Travel Bugs was in has been muggled and there is nothing left of it so my TB has gone to :anicute: what needs to be done to release the copy do i just attatch it to something and let it loose again or do i need to notifie someone?

My EU coin has vanished too not having a good caching time at the mo :wub:

Funny you should just mention this now - i have just given one of my MIA bugs a new identity, using the copy tag, although slightly different to your case as i have also put it up for adoption by another cacher to replace one of their bugs that i lost on the way to a cache!

Information

Yes, attach the copy tag to something and set it on it's way. Remember to grab the TB before you re-place it elsewhere

Important

Don't delete the original logs, it usually upsets :anicute:

If I were to do this, I would NOT release the original copy tag as it's the only "proof" you have of being the owner. Laminate a copy tag with the number on it. Keep the Copy Metal Tag safe.

Just a thought!

Oss!

I don't see any problem with releasing the copy tag - we've had to do that twice.

We always try to place them near where they went missing, though it's not possible for everyone (sometimes this means waiting a year or two before we can replace them in the right place). I would never delete previous logs.

I don't see the scenario where you need to prove ownership - you have the power over editing the TBs page and the logs if need be. The only issue would be if someone were able to log in as you...

I agree that the laminated tag may be the third line of defence if you didn't want to send the TB to the graveyard. We have one TB on its third incarnation but that's because it was detached from its elephant for some reason!

If you do release the copy tag, make sure that you keep a note of the tracking number, so that when the copy tag goes missing, you can re-release it again with a laminated tag! B)

I was going to say that myself, but then thought I remembered that the tracking numbers for bugs and coins show up on the bug/coin page when the owner is logged in, so in thery, you don't need to keep a record. I think this was a new change when they updated GC.com earlier this year... Is this right?

Dave

Sorry to hear your TB and EU coin has gone missing, it really sucks when a cache gets muggled and your TB or coin was in it at the time. B) But what is worse is when the cache has not been muggled, is still well hidden but your TB, coin still vanishes into the ether. Now that has really p*ssed me off!! B)B)

I think i will make a laminate TB and hang on to the copy just in case.

Is this allowed though will it not fall into the virtual catagory?

I have done this when one of my TB's got put into a new cache that was being placed. The new cache was put onto the roof of a vehicle and went missing during the journey. well you wouldn't expect it to still be there once you arrive at the location.

the person was full of apologies and even offered to buy me a new TB tag, but I just emailed a new sheet to him and he laminated the new sheet and it is now on it's travels again. (The TB was a sheet of lamintaed paper, it is now the same but with a picture of TB tags on it)

If you do release the copy tag, make sure that you keep a note of the tracking number, so that when the copy tag goes missing, you can re-release it again with a laminated tag! :)

I was going to say that myself, but then thought I remembered that the tracking numbers for bugs and coins show up on the bug/coin page when the owner is logged in, so in thery, you don't need to keep a record. I think this was a new change when they updated GC.com earlier this year... Is this right?

Dave

I would still keep a note of the tracking number, just in case Groundspeak change the layout again, and yes it was an update on earlier this year.