Cache Inventory

grp318

I currently have 4-5 cache containers ready to be set out in the world. I would like to fill my caches with nice, things so people leave saying "wow that was worth it". I have ordered travel bugs, and a handful of geocoins to make it fun. I want quality in my caches. What would you like to in a good cache?

Greg

This is a common question, but some of the best responses I've heard are basically the same. A few goodies for the kids and anything you would like to have for yourself. If you put it in there and are thinking to yourself "I should get one of those for myself" then you've done good! Usually a quick trip to the outdoors and sports section of your local Wallyworld or sports center will inspire a few ideas. :anicute:

I rarely trade...in fact nowadays I rarely even carry trade items unless my kid is with me. To me, it's all about the sights I see on the journey to the pine tree or guard rail in the corner of the parking lot behind the store.

I would say if you'd like to see it in a cache, then it's a good trade item. If it's a lower-terrain cache and you think a 6 year old would like to see it, then it's a good trade item.

Edited by ThePropers

I want quality in my caches. What would you like to in a good cache?

The trick is to find something that you like, that someone may find useful- and that you can buy in bulk.

I picked up a case of little league baseballs at a local sporting goods place - and I put a new one (still wrapped in plastic) in every cache I set out (provided space allows) and I have been on site at one of my caches when a boy of about 7 opened the can to find the ball - and he thought it was sooooo coooool :anicute: The effective cost on the ball was about ninety-five cents.

Periodic checks at the Dollar Store can pay off - but you have to make 10 trips there to find one day where something is worthwhile as swag. I did pick up a bunch of the "hard style" sunglass cases - thinking that they make good crush proof protection for your glasses while in your daypack. :wub:

One idea that I also stumbled on this week was this: I spend plenty of money at HTO on this hobby and for every $100 you spend they give you a $5 rebate. Most of the time I end up misplacing the dang things - so I took some of my un-used rebates and put them on gift cards - and plan to use them as FTF prizes in caches that I set up in the near future.

Istopped by a local batting cage and puchased $20.00 worth of tokens. Think its 20 balls per token. I labeled them since the other cages in the area take a different token.

Walgreens has alot of fun items rightnow for spring priced at .99 like critters that hang off plant containers, mini windsocks, easter stamps in the shape of eggs.

Dollar store nearby has great dog toys, foldable water bowls, clip-on watches good for belts and packs, I wrapped small breakable nicknacks in bubblewrap for something different as well.

I like to find anything that isnt Mctoy, theres plenty of that already out there.

I prefer to grab my swag from the local hardware store. I can often times find stuff on sale that goes very quickly. You can tell if people like your stuff by looking back at some of the last caches you've placed items in and see if people have taken it (provided they put it in the log). Some recent items that have gone well are small pliers, small adjustable wrenches, magnetic tape measure that sticks to your refrig, etc. Kids toys are harder because all little kids these days have too much McD's crap at home already. I prefer (and my Son would agree) to place small compass, whistles, glow sticks, etc. It pertains more to Geocaching and usually gets picked over the McD's toys. Best advice is like you've read before, place items you would like to get yourself and always leave a cache better than you found it.

Joe

I try and theme the stuff I initially place in a cache. One I had was full of various patches I had collected. Space, police, athletic any kind of patch. Another I filled with magnets. I think the best thing I have found so far ,kid wise, are these little action figures called Heroclix. They are pieces to a game you can play and all the figures are of all the comic book heroes. Spiderman, Superman, You name it , they are there, they even have the villians. You can go to any comic store and they either sell them in the box or loose for about a dollar a piece. I even made two caches based off these figures. I get great comments on the figures and have seen that they are usually taken by the next finder of that cache I left them in.

But I applaud you in placing well thought out caches with nice stuff. I figure you only place a few caches, so why not spend a little and make the stuff inside good. BRAVO!

I prefer to grab my swag from the local hardware store. I can often times find stuff on sale that goes very quickly. You can tell if people like your stuff by looking back at some of the last caches you've placed items in and see if people have taken it (provided they put it in the log). Some recent items that have gone well are small pliers, small adjustable wrenches, magnetic tape measure that sticks to your refrig, etc. Kids toys are harder because all little kids these days have too much McD's crap at home already. I prefer (and my Son would agree) to place small compass, whistles, glow sticks, etc. It pertains more to Geocaching and usually gets picked over the McD's toys. Best advice is like you've read before, place items you would like to get yourself and always leave a cache better than you found it.

Joe

I agree about the compases and stuff and would like to add that mini glowstichs are cool to put in small caches. People are usually suprised when they open up that wal-mart micrto and fing a free glowstick!

I don't know if I agree about the tools. It sounds like an issue waiting to happen when some kid takes them. Just need to be careful. :rolleyes: