How Do I Properly Log This?

YpsiChris

Hellos. I'm fairly new to here, and this is my first posting. I went out today because I found a cache on the site that was placed just today, and got to where I figured the cache would be, and didn't see it. It was a micro and, I haven't had any experience with them, so I don't know where I could find it. I know it was there though, because I passed someone who had found it right before (didn't say anything, but he did say something to me in the log). Anywho, I didn't mark it as DNF because, well, I know it's there, and didn't want to make it sound like it might be missing. So I put 'note' instead. Still didn't count as a 'Found', so I figured that it would be ok. Is it? Thanks for any advice you all can give.

Chris in Ypsilanti/YpsiChris

Anywho, I didn't mark it as DNF because, well, I know it's there, and didn't want to make it sound like it might be missing.

Chris in Ypsilanti/YpsiChris

I would log it as a DNF. You searched and did not find it. I would only post a note if for some reason I could not search or my search was interrupted. The owner won't think it is actually missing until s/he get several DNFs. They will probably just sit back and grin at there great hiding skills.

You are new at this and it will take some experience to get your cache finding skills in tune. I DNFs a couple of easy micros my first few times out. A DNF is not a bad thing....it is now a challenge for my next caching trip. Welcome to the sport.

Posting a DNF does not mean it may be missing. It only means you looked for it and didn't find it. Nothing more.

Loggin a DNF is appropriate. Definately logging a "Found It" would be inappropriate. Notes are really for something other than a successful or unsuccessful attemp. A lot of people will accept a note for a DNF, though.

Posting a DNF does not mean it may be missing. It only means you looked for it and didn't find it. Nothing more.

Loggin a DNF is appropriate. Definately logging a "Found It" would be inappropriate. Notes are really for something other than a successful or unsuccessful attemp. A lot of people will accept a note for a DNF, though.

That about sums it up. I use a DNF if the cache got the best of me. I use a note of something stopped me from looking further. Usually I run out of daylight.

DNF. You made the effort you deserve the recognition. Looking and not finding is all part of the game.

Edit: Yeah I've looked for a cache that turn out to be missing. I waited until it was replaced and went back to sign the log. Kind of a pride thing with me, that way I know I found the cache and my name is in the logbook.

Edited by BlueDeuce

DNF. You made the effort you deserve the recognition. Looking and not finding is all part of the game.

Edit: Yeah I've looked for a cache that turn out to be missing. I waited until it was replaced and went back to sign the log. Kind of a pride thing with me, that way I know I found the cache and my name is in the logbook.

I would have went back for my find except that I was already over 2000 miles away. I am sure that I will be back there though and I will visit the site again. There were 3 of us in a row that DNF the cache since it was muggled.

When it comes to my caches a DNF is a clue. Nothing more. On an easy cache painted bright orange in the middle of an open field after a 2 mile hike a DNF tells me it's probably gone. If it's a challenging hide that stumps people who I know how to find a cache and others with a thousand hides under their belt and a newbiew can't find it...I don't sweat it so much.

When it comes to my caches a DNF is a clue. Nothing more. On an easy cache painted bright orange in the middle of an open field after a 2 mile hike a DNF tells me it's probably gone. If it's a challenging hide that stumps people who I know how to find a cache and others with a thousand hides under their belt and a newbiew can't find it...I don't sweat it so much.

What RK said.

I have one near home that took three tries to actually log it. First try was a true DNF - I did not find it and I logged it that way but included the fact that terrain held me back. Second try got me semi-success. I found it but couldn't physically get to it. I could see it out on the ledge over a deep ravine, but being alone and not having any safety rope kept me from actually touching it or logging it. I don't count a find unless I actually sign the log in the cache. This attempt would qualify as a Note if I were to log it. Third try was with backup! Complete success! We got the cache, signed the log and then logged it as a "FIND".

I logged three DNFs today. One, I'm pretty sure is missing. GPS pointed at the tree. Tree had a wire attached to it. There was nothing on the other end of the wire. One appears to be under a bridge. The water was too high and too cold for me to search there. Third one we just did not find. Oh, well.

On the other had, I got a DNF notice on one of mine this week. It had not bee logged since October, which was surprising. Off we went to check on it. It was definitely missing. We replaced it. If the people who did not find it since October had reportd the DNF, we would have replaced it much sooner!

DNF means I went, I looked, I did not find.

Nothing more, nothing less.

If I see a DNF on one of my caches I don't worry too much, if I see three I will check on it.

These are rules of thumb, what a cacher puts in a DNF log may make a difference.

I use notes for logs that don't fit a find or did not find.

Like the time I checked on another cachers cache for him, or responding publicly to other cachers logs.

Just my thoughts.