Travel Bug Tag Along.. Ethics?

Mr. Grimm

Ok, here is a question... What are the ethics of attaching a tag-along / hitchhiker to someones travel bug? Like say add a small tag/charm to the travel bug chain to go along for the ride... Nothing permanent, and no defacing of the Bug or the original hitchhiker.

Grimm-

Usually it should be ok. Just contact the owner and ask. I started a wire bike in Boston last year, was contacted by a finder and asked if he could make a rider for it. I said sure and it looks cool, the cacher attacted a picture. You can see Ride A Bike Mike and judge for your self (6 digit code removed by moderator). When in doubt...contact the owner. I personally think it is cool when travel bugs evolve. Dragonfly

Edited by Eartha

I personally think it is cool when travel bugs evolve.

I do too -- we've found a few that had evolved from their original forms, and it always seemed to make them more interesting. We found a talking "Larry Boy" (a Veggie Tales character) that had had a similar (but silent) toy attached to it somewhere in its travels, and having the two of them together made it easier to come up with a fun series of pictures for our log for the bug.

And one of ours, Sherlock Hound (a Snoopy figurine dressed as Sherlock Holmes, with a magnifying glass) was modified with the addition of a mini flashlight. I didn't know about it until I read a log for it that said:

"Wonder what kind of clues we'll uncover with this classy detective. After a complete examination 4 year old star exclaimed, "Mommy! Wow! The flashlight can turn on!"

I had no idea what they were talking about, and went back and looked at some of the pictures that had been posted for it, and indeed a little working flashlight had been clipped to it somewhere along the way. And it made a four-year-old's day. :huh:

Later, someone even added a new battery to the flashlight when the old one died.

(But you never know... some owners might not be happy...)

You can see Ride A Bike Mike and judge for your self (xxxxxx).
You should never divulge the secret Tracking Number of a Travel Bug in a post or in a log.

You should edit your post, within 24 hours if you can, or have it edited by a moderator if later,

so as to remove that number, and replace it with the Reference Number.

Thank you,

I may be old fashioned; but, I always thought a 'hitchhiker' was picked up at the discretion of the vehicle owner. I have a problem just 'jumping in the car' as it goes by, whether the vehicle owner likes it or not. Obviously the 'hitchhiker' has to present him/herself appropriately enough to encourage the driver to offer the ride.

I certainly wouldn't assume you're going to get a free ride, without the owner's consent.

I don't believe it would be 'ethical' to mess with someone else's travel bug, unless you had express permission from the owner.

- or am I really that 'old-fashioned'?

I may be old fashioned; but, I always thought a 'hitchhiker' was picked up at the discretion of the vehicle owner. I have a problem just 'jumping in the car' as it goes by, whether the vehicle owner likes it or not. Obviously the 'hitchhiker' has to present him/herself appropriately enough to encourage the driver to offer the ride.

I certainly wouldn't assume you're going to get a free ride, without the owner's consent.

I don't believe it would be 'ethical' to mess with someone else's travel bug, unless you had express permission from the owner.

- or am I really that 'old-fashioned'?

I guess it depends on who is the "vehicle owner" in your analogy. You make it sound like it would be the TB owner, but I'd tend to think that the person who fills that role would be the cacher who picks the bug up. The TB is the original hitchhiker; the cacher is the "vehicle owner" who agrees to give the TB a ride. It's kind of like if a farmer picks up a hitchhiker in his pickup truck, but says "You'll have to ride in the back with the chickens, if that's okay with you." This new hitchhiker that the OP wants to tag along with the original hitchhiker (the TB) is just one of the chickens.

I have been toying with the idea of adding a little tag to each TB I find. Something along the lines of "This TB was found and moved by ZackJones". What I need to decide is what kind of tag should I create - a small dog tag or wooden nickel perhaps...I guess I need to hit google and do a little searching.

I have been toying with the idea of adding a little tag to each TB I find. Something along the lines of "This TB was found and moved by ZackJones". What I need to decide is what kind of tag should I create - a small dog tag or wooden nickel perhaps...I guess I need to hit google and do a little searching.
If you do add something to a TB,

don't make it something with your name, unless that is the goal of the TB.

Tbs have personality of their own, and if something is tagged along,

it should ehnhance its personality, but not detract from it.

Thank you,

If you do add something to a TB, don't make it something with your name, unless that is the goal of the TB.

Tbs have personality of their own, and if something is tagged along, it should enhance its personality, but not detract from it.

Thank you,

Good point. I did find a place yesterday that makes small tags but upon 2nd thought I doubt I'll do anything. It would be interesting to do a poll to see how TB owners feel about this practice. I think the general consensus is to ask permission first and if you get the OK then add the tag, otherwise don't add anything.

Something like this maybe? I figure if the owner doesn't like it they can contact the current holder and have it removed. It wouldn't hurt my feelings. Most owners I've talked to like the idea. - 57'

f353d864-5b73-45ca-8ac2-d40d029ac5a6.jpg

Something like this maybe? I figure if the owner doesn't like it they can contact the current holder and have it removed. It wouldn't hurt my feelings. Most owners I've talked to like the idea. - 57'

[image Removed]

Yes, though I was considering a small round one that read something like

"This TB was moved by ZackJones" or whatever would fit on the tag.