Le Quantity

Anthus

I noticed several people have LE versions of their coins. My question is what quantity constitutes a real LE. I see some do an LE with just 50 coins then I see others with 225 or more coins and call it a LE. Is such a high number of coins really a LE?

Well, if we're going to pick nits...

Any coin issue where there are a fixed number of coins and no more will be made is inherently a "limited edition". There are a limited number of coins. End of story. Taken this way, almost all geo-coins are LE. It's just that some editions are more limited than others.

It's rather odd, in my mind to use "limited edition" distinguish the special edition unobtainium coin (50 will be made) from the ordinary pot-metal edition (only 5000 will be made). Both are limited editions. On the other hand, when car-makers use LE, the distinction makes sense because the ordinary edition is not inherently limited to a particular number of cars. They'll make as many plain ones as people will buy. (Of course, there are car manufacturers who will label something that's not really limited as a "limited edition" so there's another side of the same coin...)

I don't see any reason to fix the definition of "LE" to a particular size. "Limited" should not imply a certain size. It merely means that there is a boundary value in play. So long as the edition size is accurately reported to the purchaser, everybody will know what the situation is.

My 2 cents...

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer

Not nit picking. As someone that is relatively new to collecting geocoins, when I come across a coin that is marked or labeled as LE, how do I tell how rare it truly is? At first I was just assuming that if it was an LE then less than 100 were made. But I'm finding out that that's just not the case. The newer coins are easier to track because I am keeping minting quantities in my database as new ones are announced. However, for the older ones, this information is hard to obtain and some people don't state how many were made.

Not nit picking. As someone that is relatively new to collecting geocoins, when I come across a coin that is marked or labeled as LE, how do I tell how rare it truly is? At first I was just assuming that if it was an LE then less than 100 were made. But I'm finding out that that's just not the case. The newer coins are easier to track because I am keeping minting quantities in my database as new ones are announced. However, for the older ones, this information is hard to obtain and some people don't state how many were made.

For me . . . I try to make the LE's no more than 50% of the non LE's or 1/3 of the total. But it could be whatever the person minting them decides. Full disclosure should be the primary rule.

I am not sure if you could say our coin has an LE or not. I do not consider any of them LE's. It is the same exact coin just a different metal, I always thought of LE things as being different than regulars in more than just color or finish.

We made 400 Nickel for selling and 90 Antique Bronze for trading. There are 12 others that are special ones for our use.

By default all Geocoins are essentially LE. However the practice has become that LE is typcially 500 or less of an alternate version* of an Organization coin, and 100 or less of an alternate version of a Personal or Related coin.

That's just my observatoin. Some personal editions that are not LE are 100 and less. Go figure.

*By alternate versin I mean same coin die but different somehow. Color, Numbered, Metal etc.

Edited by Renegade Knight