City Select Or City Navigator?

data wise, the two are virtually the same. In fact they are so similar, that v7 is the last version of City Select that will be produced, and City Navigator will be the road mapping product for Garmin Handhelds. The biggest difference is, in V7, City navigator map segments are very large--1 or 2 segments per state, whereas the City Select map segments are about 30 miles square.

If you want routable road maps, either will work, and if you have a large data card in you 60cx, map segment size should not be an issue. If you want offroad, then you will need Topo.

The biggest difference is, in V7, City navigator map segments are very large--1 or 2 segments per state, whereas the City Select map segments are about 30 miles square.

What is the average/approx. size of a City Navigator segment? I have a VistaC with 24MB of memory. Does anyone know if they new version of CN coming out will have smaller, larger or the same size segments? TIA!

North America City Navigator v7 DVD contains 111 maps, "average*" map size 13.84 MB, 1,536.3 MB total. A few maps sets are larger than 24 MB and will not load in units such as the Legend C and Vista C (Raleigh section of North Carolina is 24.3MB's, Southern Missouri is 24.2MB's, and Southern Ontario Canada is 25.3 MB's

from gpsnow.com

The biggest difference is, in V7, City navigator map segments are very large--1 or 2 segments per state, whereas the City Select map segments are about 30 miles square.

What is the average/approx. size of a City Navigator segment? I have a VistaC with 24MB of memory. Does anyone know if they new version of CN coming out will have smaller, larger or the same size segments? TIA!

Many users here have written to Garmin about this issue. According to their responses, but with no official documentation, v8 of City Navigator will have smaller map segments, similar to the size of City Select V7 segments.

Garmin typically releases new versions of their mapping software in June or July.

Dirtdobbertwo

go with the City navigator v7 you will not be sorry I also have the 60Cx I put a 512 MB card in mine I have loaded CA. AZ. COL. UT. NEV. NM. TEX. OKL. AR. on the 512card & used only 359MB of space on the card. Back to the CN it show you your loc & gas stations close to that loc. food, shoping centers, hosp. parks groc. stores flower shops, dry cleaners, you name it it is there to a point??? if you are being routed to a loc. following the path it tells you to go ,& for what ever reasons you cant go that way road block Rec. what ever is says turn left but you go right, your gps will recalculate. & it will draw another route for you to follow :lol: it has so many different features, it is the best :lol:

DUCKIT

Edited by duckit
Dirtdobbertwo

go with the City navigator v7 you will not be sorry I also have the 60Cx I put a 512 MB card in mine I have loaded CA. AZ. COL. UT. NEV. NM. TEX. OKL. AR. on the 512card & used only 359MB of space on the card. Back to the CN it show you your loc & gas stations close to that loc. food, shoping centers, hosp. parks groc. stores flower shops, dry cleaners, you name it it is there to a point??? if you are being routed to a loc. following the path it tells you to go ,& for what ever reasons you cant go that way road block Rec. what ever is says turn left but you go right, your gps will recalculate. & it will draw another route for you to follow :lol: it has so many different features, it is the best :lol:

DUCKIT

City Select will do the same. As I said, the two are very similar, data wise. If storage space is not an issue, City Nav is great.

Here is a response I received from Garmin when asking about compatibility of City Select and the new x models. Not that they explained why but nice to know about a ner version of City Nav.

For streetnavigation the recommended is City Select which will be fully replaced byCity Navigator later this summer when the next version is released. But

forright now either one will be fine.

Is there a (free) upgrade path between CS v7 to CN v8? In other words, if I buy CS7 now, will I be able to get a free upgrade to CN8 whenever it comes out?

Probably not. Garmin's policy in the past is that they set some nominal announcement date for the new release that's earlier than the actual availability. Anyone unlocking the previous version before that announcement date gets a free upgrade. Others can upgrade but have to pay to get the unlock code to let them use it.

E.g. last summer Garmin specified June 1st as the announcement date for v7 although AIRC the actual software shipments weren't until late July or August. So anyone who first unlocked version 6 on or after June 1st could get the upgrade and an unlock code for it free of charge.

So I'd expect that if you buy CS7 now you'd have to pay an upgrade fee to get CN8 sometime this summer.

Personally, I'd still go with CS even if you have expandable memory. The smaller map segments are much more customizable. The large segments in City Navigater may require you to download entire regions you are not interested in just to get a tiny portion of it on your unit. CN is too Magellan-like in that aspect.

Edited by briansnat

As a new user with a VistaC I was VERY confused about the differences between City Navigator and Streets. It turns out that if you try to upload several of the maps WITH the routing info then they are too big for the VistaC. They would upload with the Cx, of course, but that came out just after I got my VistaC (of course!)

I'm negotiating with Garmin right now to see what, if anything, they will do to honor their advertising that the City Navigator v7 is compatable wih the VistaC. In the state that it is in right now that "compatability" is a lie, the maps with the routing info will not upload to the VistaC and the maps without the routing are not useable for routing AT ALL on the VistaC. Even if you pre-compute the route in Mapselect, the VistaC will not honor the route and recomputes its own terrible route.

I'm not happy right now ... the VistaC is a very nice unit but they have made a major blunder with the maps and related software.

Bill W

I'm negotiating with Garmin right now to see what, if anything, they will do to honor their advertising that the City Navigator v7 is compatable wih the VistaC.

Where do they advertise such compatibility? The little compatibility window at:

http://www.garmin.com/cartography/

indicates that CitySelect-NA is compatible with the VistaC, but *not* CityNavigator-NA. Of course it does list the GPS V as being compatible with CN-NA and that's an even worse fit, with only 19 MB of downloadable map memory.

I agree that Garmin messed up in prematurely indicating that CitySelect-NA was being dropped without apparently realizing at first that the current version of CityNavigator is not a suitable substitute for several of their GPS receivers.