My Intro And Another Comparison Advice

Rhialto

Hello everyone,

I've done some basic search (CTRL-F) since the search feature is broken and even if it should be working again later today, I decided to go for my own thread. People have always the choice to read a topic or not and it seems you decided to read this one! :lol:

Ok, I'm new to GC. New to the GPS world with the exception of using the basic yellow eTrex once after Christmas, it was someone else gift but I played with it a little.

Now, it's true that if I buy a GPS in the next weeks it's because I went back here and registered this time after a short visit over a year ago.

After many reads, I think I narrowed down my choice between the eTrex Legend Cx and the GPSMAP 60Cx. I looked at the comparison table on Garmin site but still need some answers.

Other than GC, I need to justify to my girlfriend my impulsive need to get a GPS. I'm not in a rush but after a lot of read and looking at many cache very close where I live and being a boy (boys always like gadgets), you understand why I'd like to proceed soon.

Being budget limited (can't afford the full equip total package), I want to be able to use it for future car trips also. I understand that neither unit talk so I will need a co-pilot to tell me directions sometimes, maybe not. But will both units will guide me easily in any cities or one have an advantage I don't know?

The 60Cx got the new SiRF receiver. Always fun to have the latest technologies but does it justify the higher price alone? Ok, the 60Cx also come with 64MB instead of 32MB so that's also counts but do I really need the 32MB to start? Always time to get a new SD card if needed later.

Batteries will last almost twice longer in the Legend Cx! About batteries, is it recommended to use rechargable like in digital cameras?

That's about it for the comparison, anything to add to lighten me? Both units seems identical except the SiRF and 32MB more for the 60Cx.

On another note, I see MapSource things are very expensive. Is the unit useless if I don't get any? City Navigator and Select differencies? I may look for other solutions.

Thanks

I have a Legend C. HAving more memory will help when you want to load more than one map segement in at a time.

I used my C without City Navigator for a couple of weeks to help me get around town. The base map helped a little. Once I got City Nav I was delighted with the detail with on exception. I travel to a remote location in south Virginia. Many of the roads are missing.

I now would not go back without City Nav. I think I heard that City Select is no longer avail and that City Nav is its replacement.

Good luck with your purchase. You will love it and have fun.

Although it is nice to get the latest and greatest, there is something else you could consider. The Legend C and Vista C prices are coming down because the new units are out now.

These units have 24 MB memory and unless you travel a lot, or live in a densely-populated metropolitan area, you shouldn't need to change the maps for the area you travel through on a normal basis. Changing the maps doesn't take long with the USB connection.

Although you can Geocache with even the simplest of GPSrs, the best thing about these new units is it ability to auto-route with the City Select (or City Navigator) maps installed. That is why I upgraded from the Vista to the Vista C.

I use NiMH batteries in all my stuff. I probably have 20 of them. The best ones I have found are the Energizer 15-minute that I got with a 15-minute charger at Target for $25.00. Only if you are trying to use the GPSr in really cold weather should you need to use Lithium batteries.

One other consideration is the size of the unit. The Legend Cx you are considering is smaller and might be much nicer for hiking. The GPSMap 60Cx is larger. Its screen might be the better choice if you will use it more for auto-routing while driving.

Other than GC, I need to justify to my girlfriend my impulsive need to get a GPS.

Here's what you do....When it's quiet one night.... and she's in a good mood...you ease up behind her...take her around... whisper sweet nothings in her ear....and when she slips around....to tell you how much she loves you.... just take her to the bedroom and forget all about geocaching :wacko:

I have used a Legend for over two years without a map program. I was always able to compare the base map to a Mapquest or Yahoo! map and guesstimate the location of places that I was going to and get close enough that I could at least see the final destination. I was never lost. Well, my GPS was never lost anyway.! :wacko:

With that said, two weeks ago I upgraded to a 60Cx. WOW!!!! Big difference. The size of the unit has not been a factor, however, I did by a Ram mount to hold the unit while driving. I was always able to prop the legend between the windshield and the dash. I did not like the base map in the 60Cx as well as the one in my legend, so that gave me a reason to buy the City Navigator program. Once again, WOW!!! The auto-routing is really cool! I also believe that the sirf chip works wonderfully and is well worth the price from the Legend.

I also use rechargeable batteries as I have several gadgets that all use AA's.

I know that the price difference is definitely something to consider for a new father of twins. (Congratulations!) If there is anyway to save up the money, I would wait to get the 60Cx, even without the mapping program.

Hope this helps.

Thank you all.. on hold for a few months or for springs. Then all should be fine to get the 60Cx. Hope until then I won't get mixed up with other models suggestions reading here and there. :-)

There is a cache 1 block from where I live, I think I'll try to find it without a GPS, should be very easy.

There is a cache 1 block from where I live, I think I'll try to find it without a GPS, should be very easy.

The very first cache I went on, I went without GPS lol - Just knew where it would be from the description of the cache, and it was in the town I live, which is rather small. Had a lot of fun though ;)

I'm looking at upgrading to the 60cs/x (dunno abou the x yet hehe), and saving every penny until I can afford it. I'm currently using an explorist 100. I like Magellan's entry level models MUCH better than Garmin's, but Garmin has better high level models by far.