Shopping For A Pda

I have begun shopping for my first PDA. I am becoming overwhelmed with all the options and information available on the different models. Reading manufacturer claims and specs is one thing, but I'd like to get fellow cachers' opinions on the use of these devices "in the field".

First of all I'd like a new model. I personally don't want anything used, that's just me. I'm only planning on using the device for paperless caching and possibly jotting personal notes, but not much else. So, I'm not concerned with MP3 capability, WiFi, etc. I've narrowed down my choice to a Palm model because once again it is primarily for caching and if I understand correctly I need a Palm for cachemate to work.

Anyway, I am thinking about purchasing the Palm Z22 or Tungsten E2 model. The Tungsten E2 has more memory and has a slot for SD, etc. while the Z22 does not. If anyone has experience with these models I would appreciate your feedback. Also, if someone has other recommendations I am open to that as well. Thanks!

Steve

First of all I'd like a new model. I personally don't want anything used, that's just me. I'm only planning on using the device for paperless caching and possibly jotting personal notes, but not much else.

Keep in mind that PDAs are not like GPS units - they are not built for the outdoors. CacheMate will do fine with most any model. My recommendation is to keep it cheap - you won't cry as much when something happens to it. That's the major advantage of used, but then that's your choice.

I recently purchased a new Tungsten E2. My thoughts were the same as yours, I wanted a "new" Palm device to use for paperless caches. I have already used it several times and couldn't be happier with it. When I bought mine last week, Palm was offering a free 128 MB memeory card. I'll be using my new E2 for a lot more than I originally thought....................

My outfit:

Z22

Cachemate

GSAK

Delorme Streets Handheld 2006

Palm Air Case

The air case is nice and rugged, and I have had no issues with it.

Note that the Z22 does not have a serial port (only USB) which prevents you from directly conencting the GPSr to it (for position updates on mapping sofwtare).

The above set up has worked very nicely for me. No paper, and with Streets I can find my way around unfamiliar cities without bringing my laptop.

I obtained a Palm Z22 used it with cachemate for a few weeks.

The display is small due to it's compact size, I also found it more difficult to use due to the size. My eyes ain't what they used to be (A.A.R.P member)

This unit has an internal rechargeable battery, which will wear down after XX? hours of use requiring recharging.

I traded 007 for his palm IIIxe, it' jumbo size suits me better.

Both units have plenty of memory for Geocache use. This unit uses 2 AAA batteries

which can be replaced in the field if needed.

I am tempted to recommend the cheaper units for rugged outdoor use.

If you drop use lose a $40.00 IIIxe or $30.00 m105 it would be easier to swallow than a more expensive palm or pocket pc.

Be sure to check ebay. There are many NIB (new in box) palms out there preloaded with the Palm O/S V 4.0. and most come with the hot-sync cable or cradle. I purchased our IIIxe from one of the ebay sellers that had 5 or 6 units listed, all of his were NIB. We spent $52.00 with shipping & Ins.

They seem to sell in the $40.00-$50.00 range

Good luck & Welcome to the Paperless Frontier! :ph34r:

Hi,

I am using an employer supplied Blackberry (I protect it in a case and in my backpack on the trail), which is a super paperless unit. It does some other things too - like it is a cell phone and it can also access the 'net if I have forgotten to download somewhere I am. You need MobiPocket Reader to download all the data, but then it is like havng a computer right along with you.

Edited by flyfishNS
. . .  I am tempted to recommend the cheaper units for rugged outdoor use. If you drop use lose a $40.00 IIIxe or $30.00 m105 it would be easier to swallow than a more expensive palm or pocket pc.

Be sure to check ebay. There are many NIB (new in box) palms out there preloaded with the Palm O/S V 4.0. and most come with the hot-sync cable or cradle. I purchased our IIIxe from one of the ebay sellers that had 5 or 6 units listed, all of his were NIB. We spent $52.00 with shipping & Ins.

They seem to sell in the $40.00-$50.00 range . . .

I agree. Many times you can get "new, old stock" on eBay. I have a Palm M500 and its monochrome screen is much easier to read in bright sunlight than the color models, which also have a smaller screen.

Whatever you get, invest in a hard case so this doesn't happen. :huh:

Any hard case recommendations for a Palm IIIxe? I'm having a heck of a time finding a hard case for the III series, since they're kinda old. Haven't checked eBay yet. I only spent $10.50 on the thing, but still want to protect it. Any good cases out there that won't cost much more than what I paid for the PDA itself? Spending $30 for a case in my situation doesn't really make much sense.

I'm not sure about that particular model, but I found some nice neoprene cases that fit the Palm M500 at the 99-cent store for 99-cents. :huh:

I got the hard case for my Palm M500 at BigLots! in a package with a travel-size HotSync cable, some screen protectors, and some extra styli for $15.00.

Thank you all for the replies and suggestions! ;) It looks like it will be a while before I decide on anything definite. The price of a used item definitely sounds appealing, but I will continue to do research on new models as well until I come to a final decision. It seems like shopping for a GPSr was much easier :rolleyes: Anyway, I'm still thinking about the Tungsten E2. I'm searching for reviews at the moment.

Steve

I Just ordered a Palm IIIx off Amazon for $34.00. According to the seller it's brand new OEM boxed. I looked at lot of Palms before getting this. I decided on this one because since I was ONLY going to use it for caching, I didn't want to spend a lot of money and also I liked the fact that it uses AAA batteries that can be easily changed while caching.