Quickest Wales Counties

DaBeEm

First of all well done on your achievement.

However, I'm not sure of the value of listing quickest Wales counties as a record. Currently the record for UK counties in a day is 27. What you are suggesting is setting up a record for just 12 counties (looking at the marnanel map).

Now if someone were to set up a record for doing all UK counties, then that would be a worthy one.

T

Yesterday i did the 14 in 19 1/2 hours , including my 500th (not logged yet as ive only just got home and want to grab a couple hours sleep before going to winchester late xmas cache bash!).

Perhaps i can claim the first record then? It was i bit slow so shouldnt be too difficult to beat!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counties_of_Wales

The Counties of Wales can variously refer to:

* the 22 prinicipal areas of Wales currently used for local government

* the 8 preserved counties of Wales currently used for ceremonial purposes such as Lord-Lieutenancy

* the 13 traditional counties of Wales

* the 13 administative counties of Wales created by the Local Government Act 1888 and used from 1889 to 1974

* the 8 non-metropolitan counties of Wales created by the Local Government Act 1972 and used from 1974 to 1996

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counties_of_Wales

The Counties of Wales can variously refer to:

* the 22 prinicipal areas of Wales currently used for local government

* the 8 preserved counties of Wales currently used for ceremonial purposes such as Lord-Lieutenancy

* the 13 traditional counties of Wales

* the 13 administative counties of Wales created by the Local Government Act 1888 and used from 1889 to 1974

* the 8 non-metropolitan counties of Wales created by the Local Government Act 1972 and used from 1974 to 1996

hehe, complex innit? I've drawn up my map to cover as many as possible, and will fill in the boundaries as I go. I'm not going for any record attempt though, it's just that colouring the "counties of England and principal areas of Wales and Scotland used for local government" is now a long term project of mine :D

Yesterday i did the 14 in 19 1/2 hours , including my 500th (not logged yet as ive only just got home and want to grab a couple hours sleep before going to winchester late xmas cache bash!).

Perhaps i can claim the first record then? It was i bit slow so shouldnt be too difficult to beat!

From calculation Mongoose and myself completed 23 counties in around 19 hours; 14 of which were completed in 16 hrs.

I personally think congratulations are in order...

In my previous job I often had to go from Wrexham to Cardiff, and I can tell you, Wales is NOT an easy country to traverse - no high speed motorways!!

So - I believe we should allow a new record to be placed on the record (as it were!!)

Well done that man!!

I personally think congratulations are in order...

In my previous job I often had to go from Wrexham to Cardiff, and I can tell you, Wales is NOT an easy country to traverse - no high speed motorways!!

So - I believe we should allow a new record to be placed on the record (as it were!!)

Well done that man!!

Hazel

I do not doubt this is an achievement, it is an enviable number, Well done that man also.

Moote

Sorry just come in on this but I am a bit lost :rolleyes:

so what am I doing?? :(

1 Uk record 23 counties (moote and mongoose 19 hrs )

2 England counties 23 counties(as above)

3 Wales counties 14 (DaBeEm 19.5 hours)

Anybody help clarify and Scotland anybody ?:(

Edited by Deego

Using the 'marnanel' map i identified that there were 14 counties in wales. I believed that as this map was available for cachers to have on their profile page that it would be an accurate representation of the number of counties – now i am not so sure!! Having completed the 14 counties in 19 1/5 hours i wondered if this was a record, as i had not seen any mention of Wales in the UK records - hence my question to clarify this.

Actually - have i got 2 records here? A number and a speed one i.e the most Welsh counties (which can easily be beaten if i got the numbers wrong!) done and one for the most Welsh counties in 24 hours (which can easily be beaten as i was slow and didnt do 24 hours!)?

I'll leave it to someone else to decide on the definitive number of counties – at least i have coloured all the spaces in yellow, whatever it is!

Sorry just come in on this but I am a bit lost :rolleyes:

so what am I doing?? :(

1 Uk record 23 counties (moote and mongoose 19 hrs )

2 England counties 23 counties(as above)

3 Wales counties 14 (DaBeEm 19.5 hours)

Anybody help clarify and Scotland anybody ?:(

Dunno Deego

I would like to claim the record for the most caches placed in Warrington Town centre which at present stands at 1 :(

No to be serious the If you can clarify this welsh record then why not add it to the HoF

My quote on 19hrs etc was just a comparison

Moote

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that I think any new records on the list should be roughly as hard as the ones already there.

T

500 miles around Wales (not forgetting getting too and from wales) single handed in 19 1/2 hours, with no one to help find, log, prepare for next etc etc is easier than a team doing 24 hours in one city, where tasks etc can be split? When youve done it you let me know!

I would like to claim the record for the most caches placed in Warrington Town centre which at present stands at 1 :rolleyes:

Moote

I know you are joking on this, but i just think that Wales and Scotland can have stand alone records. - if London can have records set in then so should they.

Another point - my record was single handed - no shared driving, finding, logging etc, bound to slow me down!

500 miles around Wales (not forgetting getting too and from wales) single handed in 19 1/2 hours, with no one to help find, log, prepare for next etc etc is easier than a team doing 24 hours in one city, where tasks etc can be split? When youve done it you let me know!

Sounds like a fair achievement to me. Get it in the record books.

I can't see anything wrong in having Welsh and Scottish speed records. It's all relative anyway, as next week there will be a different amount of caches everywhere. These "so many caches in a day" records will never be on a level playing field. But fun nonethless.

For the record, DaBeEm, you started the thread in a discussion forum, so you shouldn't really get angry if people voice an opinion which doesn't agree with yours. Especially if the majority agree with you.

As it is, most do agree and the only discussion AFAICS is what the record should be. As there is some discussion on definition of how many Wales counties there is, my opinion is that it should be 'The most Welsh counties in 24 hours'.

Does this seem fair?

T

where tasks etc can be split?

what exactly are you accusing us of?

I am not accusing you of anything, merely pointing out that i felt that what i had done no less warranted a record than other records, as you appeared to originally suggest, and that mine was acheived with no assistance.

where tasks etc can be split?

what exactly are you accusing us of?

I am not accusing you of anything, merely pointing out that i felt that what i had done no less warranted a record than other records, as you appeared to originally suggest, and that mine was acheived with no assistance.

It appeared that you were suggesting that we had split up to find caches, which for the record was not the case.

Also for the record, I personally did all the planning for our 24 hour stint, and was there at every cache. Driving was irrelevant as it was all done without a car, mostly on foot as it was a baking hot summer day and the tube was too warm to travel on.

T

Using the 'marnanel' map i identified that there were 14 counties in wales.

Lets get this correct, the 'marnanel' map is not correct, it has lumped several counties together in Wales and England.

Now I know you all moaned last time I added this link but here is the counties map of the UK right from the OS site. BTW it is free for all to use in so make yourself a copy.

Moote

outlineb.gif

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that I think any new records on the list should be roughly as hard as the ones already there.

T

Who fancies doing Wales this weekend?

Thanks Moote, now i know where i have to go back to! - Swansea, Bridgend, Rhonnda, Newport, Torphaen, Blaenau Gwent, Methyr Tydfil and Cardiff, as I did Neath, Vale of Glamorgan and Caerphilly in the southern 3 sections. At least they are all in the south!! Stuey says he is waiting for a cache to be placed in Blaenau Gwent - surely if the county contains no cache then the total number achievable, at least at present, is only 21.

Anyway all records have to start somewhere - 14 should be easy to beat then!

So to clarify <_<

Wales Record (22 counties) current record 14 in 19.5 hrs DaBeEm

Scottish record (?? counties ) current record ??? uknown ???

English record ( ?? counties) Current record Mong and Moote 27

UK Record (??? counties) current record Mong and Moote 27

UK Record can be England Scotland Wales or mix of all????

I need to sort the counties count out later (I should be working :ph34r: )

Are we getting clearer ? when we sort it I will link the record to the rules

So to clarify <_<

Wales Record (22 counties) current record 14 in 19.5 hrs DaBeEm

Scottish record  (?? counties ) current record ??? uknown ???

English record ( ?? counties) Current record Mong and Moote  27

UK Record  (??? counties) current record Mong and Moote 27

UK Record can be  England Scotland Wales or mix of all????

I need to sort the counties count out later (I should be working :ph34r: )

Are we getting clearer ? when we sort it I will link the record to the rules

English counties = 47

Most in UK in 24 = 27

Most in England = 27

Think that does it for England and UK

Edited by Moote

Just to stir the pot a bit, aren't these actually two seperate types of record?

'Mong and Moote' (available for weddings christenings and bahmitzvahs) ahve the record for most UK (england) caches in 24 hours.

Dave has got all the welsh counties (discuss) in a short time. Or are we saying this is just most welsh counties in a 24 hour period?

If I went out and did one cache in every UK county and it took me, say 45 hours, is that a new record? Quickest complete set of counties. I am not trying to argue with anybody here, just thinking out loud. Anyhow, I am sure the 'Three Emms' will be along to bag this record as well, asap.

Whilst we are on the topic of records I'd like to claim the record for the most FTF's in a day - this is on topic as they were found in Wales! 36_1_33.gif

Cache Card Series by Happy Landins

I thoroughly recommend the series by the way. 36_1_34.gif

Cheers!

Seasider

P.S I am not a numbers man! 4_18_5.gif

P.P.S There is no category in the records page for most FTF's overall! 36_11_22.gif

Edited by Seasider
Just to stir the pot a bit, aren't these actually two seperate types of record?

'Mong and Moote' (available for weddings christenings and bahmitzvahs) ahve the record for most UK (england) caches in 24 hours.

Dave has got all the welsh counties (discuss) in a short time. Or are we saying this is just most welsh counties in a 24 hour period?

If I went out and did one cache in every UK county and it took me, say 45 hours, is that a new record? Quickest complete set of counties.

This point is similar to one of my previous posts -

''Actually - have i got 2 records here? A number and a speed one i.e the most Welsh counties (which can easily be beaten if i got the numbers wrong!) done and one for the most Welsh counties in 24 hours (which can easily be beaten as i was slow and didnt do 24 hours!)?''

As it may not be possible to complete all counties in any one country in 24 hours (particularly England), perhaps the records should be

1.Most counties in each UK country - (as long as completed in one trip)

2.Most counties in 24 hours in each country

and also

3, most counties in UK, which could be mixed countries (again as long as completed in one trip)

this is probably the same as Deegos suggestion, but my help in clarification!

so - 2 records for me - most in 24 hours and most in Wales

3 records for M & M - most in 24 hours and most in england, and most in UK

1.Most counties in each UK country - (as long as completed in one trip)

2.Most counties in 24 hours in each country

I would say these are the same thing depending on your definition of a trip.

not if it takes longer than 24 hours to visit the counties, as it probably would to do for the 47 in england, say over a weekend or more

not if it takes longer than 24 hours to visit the counties, as it probably would to do for the 47 in england, say over a weekend or more

Yes, but ALL counties is a different record.

IMO counties in a trip and counties in 24 hours are too closely linked.

IF someone managed to do ALL counties in more than 24 hours, then that would be a new record, but as things stand they are the same.

When the records page was first started, and Seasider got the 24 hour record, there were calls from some quarters for other time periods, for example, "Well, I got the most in 12 hours" and "so-and-so got the most in 48 hours" etc.

It was decided at that point that 24 hours and a week would be the standard, or it would make a mockery of the whole thing, and allow someone to grab several records in one mission. As far as I can see, the 24 hours is the 'speed' record, and the 7 days is the 'sustained effort' one.

I don't see why number of counties should be any different to numbers of caches.

Why on earth can't you be happy with the record you got, instead of suggesting ludicrous new ones?

T