acorcoran

Well, as the topic says, I simply wanted to introduce myself. My boss received a new GPSr for Christmas and said he read something about GeoCaching. I've heard about it in the past, but never paid it much attention.

One Friday afternoon he brought a few of us out and we found our first cache. We've gone a total of three times and I'm completely hooked. I think my wife is sick of hearing about it hehe.

Anyway, with the help of the boards, I've narrowed down my GPSr selections to the Legend C or the Vista C. I just need to decide if the compass is worth $50.00 on the Vista, as that appears to be the only difference. (Boss has the Vista C).

Anyway, I've enjoyed placing the caches just as much as finding them. Granted I'm still very new, but have done two caches and hope to get more and more complex/difficult as time progresses.

Just wanted to thank all of you active posters for helping me along my journey and starting a new obsession. I'm sure my wife would enjoy going as well...our first baby is due in April, so it might be a while before we can all go =)

You child (and future children if you plan to have any) will be more likely to like the "regular" caches that usually have kid-oriented items to trade, as opposed to micros, most of which are "log only". It can be a great way to explore new places with the family and get some fresh air and exercise, so enjoy and welcome!

Thank you for all of the warm welcomes. I think that making it a family event or even a nice outing with the wife (with dinner, etc) is a great idea. I figured after the baby is born in April, she won't want to walk around too much, so might try to get a GPSr a bit earlier and bring her on a few simple caches.

Thanks again for the future support group (heh)

Buy the Legend C than buy a good old fashioned compass, that way you have both and most important BACKUP. Always mark your vehicle when you leave it and note the general direction you will be traveling in, reverse it to return by compass. Have fun, it's a great activity, find 10, place one.

I'd get the electonic compass. I've owned a Vista and now a GPSMap60cs and felt it was well worth the extra money. Why?

Because GPS requires that you be moving to know what direction you're moving in (it compares your current position with your last position and assumes you're facing in the direction of travel).

Without the electronic compass, your GPS loses all sense of direction when you slow way down or stop walking (which happens often when you're navigating your way to a cache). The result is that the bearing needle will pivot randomly and you'll end up doing the "drunken bee dance".

With the built in electronic compass, you set the GPSr so that the compass comes on below a certain speed (I use 2 mph). You depend on GPS when you're moving (and the compass doesn't draw against your batteries), then the compass automatically kicks in and keeps the bearing pointed in the right direction when you slow or stop moving. :D