Google Earth & Kml - Wow!

Guitar4Him

If you haven't tried Google Earth with the KML addition, you're missing out on an incredible tool. I find it so useful to look around an area and see where caches are located. In a matter of seconds, you can hover over an area and see the population density of caches in that area. It's wonderful for finding new areas to put into your caching plans. For serious geocachers, this is a "must-have".

You don't have to be a premium member to use the KML feature, if I recall. But everyone needs to remember, the KML file has an intentional random error. The cache show in the approximate location on the map but don't use these coordinates for searching for caches. Premium member can request a GPX file via Pocket Queries and display this in Google Earth to see the accurate cache locations.

Premium member can request a GPX file via Pocket Queries and display this in Google Earth to see the accurate cache locations.

How?

How what? Request the Pocket Query GPX file? Or get that GPX file into GoogleEarth?

To get the GPX file, look on the right side of your account page. You'll see Premium Features and under that will be a link to Build Pocket Querys. Set the search terms as you want them and the GPX file will be emailed to you shortly.

To get the file into Google Earth, unzip the file and open Google Earth.

On the left side of the screen you'll see the Places Window. Scroll down to the bottom of the Places Window and you will see the Temporary Places folder.

Now, just drag and drop your GPX file into that Temporary Places folder.

Sheesh....now I'll never get anything done....I've been using GE for a while now and did not know you could get accurate views by dragging in the GPX files. Awesome!

Same here. Good thing I'm stuck at my desk for the next 3 hours anyway :)

I forgot how to stop the tour from zooming in and out at every turn. I just want stay at the same zoom level and follow the purple line. Can someone help?

The positioning of caches in GE/KML is not as accurate as I would like it.  It's a useful tool, but it's not going to enable you to leave your GPSr at home.  I have looked at a few of my caches, and they seem to be quite a distance from where they belong.

As I posted above

... the KML file has an intentional random error. The cache shows in the approximate location on the map but don't use these coordinates for searching for caches.

To see the cache locations accurately in GE, request a GPX file with a pocket query and drag the file to GE.

The KML file has a limit of 199 views per day. That's usually more than enough, but does anyone know if it is possible to increase the limit?

Is the 199 view limit a restriction of GE or Groundspeak?

It's a Groundspeak restriction. You can change the refresh on the Network KML file so you can refresh on demand instead. That way every slight adjustment won't add views you don't need.

The KML file has a limit of 199 views per day.  That's usually more than enough, but does anyone know if it is possible to increase the limit?

That limit only applies to the Groundspeak plugin.

The custom views that you create via GPX file have no limits.

The KML file has a limit of 199 views per day.  That's usually more than enough, but does anyone know if it is possible to increase the limit?

It's a Groundspeak restriction. You can change the refresh on the Network KML file so you can refresh on demand instead. That way every slight adjustment won't add views you don't need.

I never came across an explanation in the forums about how to do this, so I'll explain. It took me a couple of minutes to figure out how, and I only figured it out today, so correct me if anything is wrong.

In the legend on the left side of the screen, right-click on Geocaching Network KML. Then click Edit. In the dialogue box that appears, check the box for Refresh Parameters. Some more options will appear below. Under View-Based Refresh, click the When drop-down list and change it from After Camera Stops to On Request. Click OK.

Now you can zoom in and out on one area as many times as you want without using up your views. When you pan to another area and want to refresh the caches on the map, right-click Geocaching Network KML and click Refresh.

No more using up a few page views just because you wanted to pan and zoom in on one cache.

Or you could just uncheck the "Geocaching Network KML" box until you want to see them.

Yeah, I've been unchecking the box each time. Using a 'view' each time I moved the map is a pain, so I uncheck the box, move the map, recheck the box, etc.

I didn't realize the ability to change the refresh rate was there-- that should do the trick. Thanks much for the help, guys!

I never tried using the GPX file either but that sounds like a good solution for planning local routes. Now if there were only a mobile version of GE... :lol:

Is it possible to add a documentation page below the download link with all this info in it?

Resurrecting this thread may be a good way for me to get Google Earth running with the kml file I downloaded from Geocaching.com.

I downloaded the kml file and copied it into Google Earth where the other kml file was. When started, Goodle Earth did not automatically recognize that it was there. I went to file - open - and opened the kml file.

It then appeared in my Temporary Places menu as "Geocaching Network KML" on the left hand side but, below it was another check box that said "Account not validated".

I can use Google Earth normally but when I check the Geocaching Network KML box it zooms automatically to Seattle Washington and won't move from there.

How do I get this to work? I am a premium member of Geocaching.com. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

While we're on GE....

Does anyone know a way to make the icons smaller? Like the icons in ArchaeologyMan's image above, they're too big for the scale of the picture. I'd like them to appear as smaller dots when the screen is zoomed all the way in. I have the radio button set for 'small'. but am hoping there is a workaround?

I forgot how to stop the tour from zooming in and out at every turn. I just want stay at the same zoom level and follow the purple line. Can someone help?

I'd love to know too. :laughing:

If I understand your question correctly, when you map a course and hit play, it's a choppy movement that pops up and down to each of the turns, rather than a smooth running of the entire course at the same level.

If I'm understanding you correctly... then what I have found, is that it does that after you have mapped a route and then done something else before hitting play (ie. clicked on a geocache, or turn marker). The fix that I've found is to remap the route, then hit play.

For some reason the smooth run only works if there has been nothing done in between mapping the route and hitting the play button.

Resurrecting this thread may be a good way for me to get Google Earth running with the kml file I downloaded from Geocaching.com.

I downloaded the kml file and copied it into Google Earth where the other kml file was. When started, Goodle Earth did not automatically recognize that it was there. I went to file - open - and opened the kml file.

It then appeared in my Temporary Places menu as "Geocaching Network KML" on the left hand side but, below it was another check box that said "Account not validated".

I can use Google Earth normally but when I check the Geocaching Network KML box it zooms automatically to Seattle Washington and won't move from there.

How do I get this to work? I am a premium member of Geocaching.com. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

All you should have to do is go to your My Account Details page on geocaching.com and click Download Geocache Browser in Google Earth. It sounds like you already know how to get there. In Firefox and IE, a box appears asking if you want to open GeocachingNetowrkKML.kml or save it. Choose Open. Google Earth should launch automatically and Geocaching Network KML will appear on the left side of the screen under Temporary Places. Zoom into an area, and if there are less than 150 caches in the map extent, cache icons will appear. When you exit Google Earth, it will ask if you want to save items in your Temporary Places folder. Say yes. This will allow you to view the Geocaching.com KML by simply opening Google Earth. You won't have to click the link on your My Account Details page anymore.