E600 Owners Would You Still Pay The Extra Money

I have decidebd to buy either the new Magellan explorist 500 or 600. I would like to know from current owners if you would still spend the extra money to get the baro., alt, and compass? Most of what I have read from owners says the baro. and alt don't work that well.

So is the extra money worth it to only get a compass that probably doesn't work as well as one bought from an outdoors shop?

We have used ours for only a little while, but the altimeter seems to be fairly accurate, and while I am not a weatherman the abrometer falling each time has accurately predicted rain coming in. (We have had some spankin' rain lately too!) THAT is why we got the 600. I like the color screen, SD card, PC upload ans all that, but this last year we went camping/hunting and the weather reports via Yahoo weather (cell phone) were NOT accurate based on the rain we waded through, so the GPS barometer will hopefully assist in a little more realistic view of rain in the forecast...

Oh, and I got it brand new on eBay from a seller, with the SD card and TOPO 3-D map software (a help) for about the same price as the 500 by itself from a retail store...

Edited by Zzyzx Road

I have the 500. I always carry a compass. It is accurate, better at taking bearings, and a back up to your GPSr.

I have tested the accuracy of elevation and cannot see how barametric can be an improvement. I have compared the computed elevation shown on screen, to the elevation on the Topo 3d installed, to the elevation of benchmarks to the elevation from the waypoint loaded to Topo! on my PC. The computed position elevation is very accurate, often within 10 feet, usually within 25 feet and never more than 50 feet. How accurate do you need?

Good answers to all. Hey weakfish- just stick your forehead on one side of a car battery and that plate in your head will be polarized. Than all you have to do is float your head in a toilet bowl and the let the earths magnetic field turn your forehead in the correct postition to tell you north. I believe the science behind this is 100% accurate. Well maybe your forehead would point south. I'll get back to you on that. Hope that helps.

I have decidebd to buy either the new Magellan explorist 500 or 600. I would like to know from current owners if you would still spend the extra money to get the baro., alt, and compass? Most of what I have read from owners says the baro. and alt don't work that well.

So is the extra money worth it to only get a compass that probably doesn't work as well as one bought from an outdoors shop?

I like mine, but be warned that the temp sensor is inside the unit, so it's sensitive to sun light and body heat

Newegg has a deal on them http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16858108019

:lol:

Yes i would, yes yes yes.

The compass itself is worth the extra costs. I can stand still and the built in compass will point in the right direction! No more walking in decreasing circles to find the cache.

Do I sense JohnnyVegas enlightening us about the cost-effectiveness of good baseplate compasses? :D