Convince Me To Buy A 60cx Instead Of A 60c!

I'm ready to upgrade from my Garmin Vista and was all set to buy a Garmin 60c. Then I learn about the new improved 60cx. I don't need the 60cs because I think that I've used the electronic compass maybe twice on my Vista and have never used the altimeter. I like the idea of the expandable memory of the x series but the piddly 24mb of memory of my Vista has never really been a problem. Shopping around I see that I can get a 60c for around $100 less than the 60cx. Should I spend the extra dough? :unsure:

In addition to the memory expansion card, there's also the more sensitive SirFIII chipset. So you may start having regrets anytime you have reception problems.

My suspicion is that Garmin is applying such a hard line on keeping prices high for the 60 cx/csx models so their dealers can get rid of any surplus 60c/cs inventory. If that's true then holding onto your Vista for a bit longer could let you buy a 60cs for a more reasonable price.

Another consideration is whether you would normally take a laptop along on any extended trips. If you do so then the value of memory expansion is greatly reduced compared to those who would take a tour of Europe for example without access to a laptop or other PC to load new maps along the way.

I was in the same position you are. I was just about to order the 60cs. I didn't really care about the expandable memory. But then I began to read about the SirFIII chipset and what I do care about more than any other feature is reception. And from everything I've read from reviews to actual user experiences the reception of the 60cx with the new chipset is MUCH better than the 60c. That alone is worth the extra $100.