Cache Types

Moote

This is what I understand of 3 cache types, I'm putting this into my words so that it is clear?

Traditional

The published coordinates (the ones at the top of the page) are the location of the cache, no other information is required to complete the cache as the coordinates stand you next to the thing. Admittedly it might not be visible, or easy to find, but it is there.

Multi

Published coordinates take you to a starting location, from there cache you find the cache usually in one of two ways:

• 1. The given coordinates take you to the start, where you find a container that takes you onto the next and the next until you reach the final container with the cache log etc, or

• 2. The given coordinates take you to the start, then you follow a series of questions / answer (about the location'(s)) to determine subsequent locations, until you reach the final location where there is a container with the cache log etc.

Puzzle

These you usually have to work something out at home or pick up a series of clues from other caches, the published coordinates are NOT the coordinates for the cache but somewhere in a rough proximity.

In essence, is this correct? If so why do I see so many caches that should be a puzzle/mystery cache listed as Multi or Traditional. I could name 10 off the top of my head that are wrong.

Moote

In essence, is this correct?  If so why do I see so many caches that should be a puzzle/mystery cache listed as Multi or Traditional.  I could name 10 off the top of my head that are wrong.

Moote

Why not just let me or Eckington know about them and we'll correct any that are incorrectly assigned?

A quiet e-mail can work wonders!

Edited by Lactodorum
In essence, is this correct?  If so why do I see so many caches that should be a puzzle/mystery cache listed as Multi or Traditional.  I could name 10 off the top of my head that are wrong.

Moote

Why not just let me or Eckington know about them and we'll correct any that are incorrectly assigned?

A quiet e-mail can work wonders!

....you beat me to it, boss <_<

Well, if you have a look at the geocaching.com description of cache types here you will see that some caches could well fit into either the multi or puzzle category.

I normally find that reading the cache description on the page makes it quite clear what to expect, no real need to worry about which icon is at the top.

I don't read it that way, I read it that a Multi-Cache (offset Cache), all the information is available on site in the form of questions that can be answered by finding a location with the GPS, or the next piece of hidden Tupperware. You should not require any further aid like internet or a book whilst on site.

Multi-Cache (offset Cache)

A multi-cache ("multiple") involves two or more locations, the final location being a physical container. There are many variations, but most multi-caches have a hint to find the second cache, and the second cache has hints to the third, and so on. An offset cache (where you go to a location and get hints to the actual cache) is considered a multi-cache.

Mystery or puzzle caches, this is clear that the published coordinates are completely bogus, if you go to the coordinates it will lead you nowhere

Mystery or puzzle caches

The “catch-all” of cache types, this form of cache can involve complicated puzzles you will first need to solve to determine the coordinates. The only commonality of this cache type is that the coordinates listed are not of the actual cache location but a general reference point, such as a nearby parking location. Due to the increasing creativity of geocaching this becomes the staging ground for new and unique challenges.

Therefore a Multi-Cache (offset Cache) has to have an initial set of defined coordinates and a Mystery or puzzle caches do not have these. Also the Multi-Cache (offset Cache) all the information should be available on site, the only thing other than your GPSr that might be needed is a list of questions for on site answering.

I can see why people might be confused but to me it is clear.

Moote

Edited by Moote
Well, if you have a look at the geocaching.com description of cache types here you will see that some caches could well fit into either the multi or puzzle category.

I normally find that reading the cache description on the page makes it quite clear what to expect, no real need to worry about which icon is at the top.

I don't read it that way, I read it that a Multi-Cache (offset Cache), all the information is available on site in the form of questions that can be answered by finding a location with the GPS, or the next piece of hidden Tupperware. You should not require any further aid like internet or a book whilst on site.

A multi-cache ("multiple") involves two or more locations, the final location being a physical container. There are many variations, but most multi-caches have a hint to find the second cache, and the second cache has hints to the third, and so on. An offset cache (where you go to a location and get hints to the actual cache) is considered a multi-cache.

Mystery or puzzle caches, this is clear that the published coordinates are completely bogus, if you go to the coordinates it will lead you nowhere

Mystery or puzzle caches

The “catch-all” of cache types, this form of cache can involve complicated puzzles you will first need to solve to determine the coordinates. The only commonality of this cache type is that the coordinates listed are not of the actual cache location but a general reference point, such as a nearby parking location. Due to the increasing creativity of geocaching this becomes the staging ground for new and unique challenges.

Therefore a Multi-Cache (offset Cache) has to have an initial set of defined coordinates and a Mystery or puzzle caches do not have these. Also the Multi-Cache (offset Cache) all the information should be available on site, the only thing other than your GPSr that might be needed is a list of questions for on site answering.

Moote

Here are the important bits, as I see it

Multi cache:

"There are many variations, but most multi-caches have a hint to find the second cache"

Puzzle:

"The only commonality of this cache type is that the coordinates listed are not of the actual cache location but a general reference point, such as a nearby parking location."

Based on this I don't know where your statements:

"Therefore a Multi-Cache (offset Cache) has to have an initial set of defined coordinates"

and

"Also the Multi-Cache (offset Cache) all the information should be available on site"

get their basis from, as this isn't specified by the guidelines.

Mystery or puzzle caches

Moote

Here are the important bits, as I see it

Multi cache:

"There are many variations, but most multi-caches have a hint to find the second cache"

Puzzle:

"The only commonality of this cache type is that the coordinates listed are not of the actual cache location but a general reference point, such as a nearby parking location."

Based on this I don't know where your statements:

"Therefore a Multi-Cache (offset Cache) has to have an initial set of defined coordinates"

and

"Also the Multi-Cache (offset Cache) all the information should be available on site"

get their basis from, as this isn't specified by the guidelines.

I think that this covers what you are aiming at.

Mystery or puzzle caches

The “catch-all” of cache types

So should I turn up at a cache I see flash up on TomTom, and I think lets get that and it is marked traditional but reading the GPXSonar page it has a quiz for the coords; totally nothing to do with info on site. Or a listed Multi that has again a quiz or complex puzzle. If you are in doubt then it is more than likely a Puzzle / Mystery cache.

As you pointed out

Multi cache:

Hint does not mean a quiz or complex puzzle, It could mean looking at a date on a building (which your GPS has brought you to) to determine the next set of coordinate though. This is on site work not something that requires more kit than usual.

Moote

Edited by Moote

Maybe

Ahhh yes, BUT...

What about Puzzle caches that the coordinates DO take you next to the cache, but then you have to try and work out how to get into the cache - like This one belonging to Pieman???

Hmmm you see I'd say it IS a puzzle because you don't just walk up to the coordinates, hunt around a bit, find a butty box open it and Voila!

Mystery or puzzle caches

The “catch-all” of cache types

But it also could be classed as a traditional just like Cut Down Cache

Edited by Moote
Moote is strictly right that the cache HazelS mentioned could be classed as a Traditional. I class it, and similar ones of mine, as puzzles so that people who are just looking for a straightforward find don't get mislead.

Pieman

I agree with that completely, and I congratulate you as it does make it better that the Puzzle / Mystery is used as a catch all in this case, as in reality it is not just a walk up and open the box.

I attempted a cache recently though which was listed as traditional and it clearly was not, a few days later I had a similar issue. Both caches were that spur of the moment, "Oh look at that just popped up on TomTom, it's a trad I've not done, lets go for it" and neither were.

In honesty I have no issue with your cache the way it is listed as it is a puzzle at the end, but if it was listed as a trad I still would have no issue as I can find the box without any additional help. That maybe a grey area but I feel that the argument either way is as balanced.

Moote

I attempted a cache recently though which was listed as traditional and it clearly was not, a few days later I had a similar issue. Both caches were that spur of the moment, "Oh look at that just popped up on TomTom, it's a trad I've not done, lets go for it" and neither were.

Don't tell the world, tell the reviewers.

The world can't help, only the reviewers can (and we are happy to).

I attempted a cache recently though which was listed as traditional and it clearly was not, a few days later I had a similar issue.  Both caches were that spur of the moment, "Oh look at that just popped up on TomTom, it's a trad I've not done, lets go for it" and neither were. 

Don't tell the world, tell the reviewers.

The world can't help, only the reviewers can (and we are happy to).

Mr Lactodorum sir

But it is just looks like people need some advice, I know that your job as a reviewer is not easy but spreading the work swhould increase the esae for you.

I will post you a mail with some caches in soon

Moote

As you pointed out

Multi cache:

Hint does not mean a quiz or complex puzzle, It could mean looking at a date on a building (which your GPS has brought you to) to determine the next set of coordinate though.

I think you kind of missed the point I was trying to get across. Just because the guidelines say *most* have a hint, doesn't mean the cache type is reserved exclusively for those which do. Hence preceding this statement with "There are many variations"

With guidelines which are not very strict and open to personal interpretation I don't think anyone can really go charging in saying loads of people have labelled their caches wrongly. I agree that the definition of a traditional is quite clear, but the difference between a multi and a puzzle can be a very grey area.

Simple solution is to read the cache page before you go looking eh? ;)