New Cache Published > Alert Sent To Mobile Phone

JackiePenn

I just set up notifications of new caches within 25km of home coordinates to be sent to my mobile phone via SMS.

Got 3 Eckington just published as my first testing.

Partial content emails, just enough to make me know there is a new cache up for grabs if I wish to get it, and if I do I can go check my email properly or search geocaching.com from where ever I am.

My mail account inbox is filtered for new cache notifications and it forwards them to my email>sms account at o2 where it get sent out to phone via sms.

Anyone else do/done this ?

Any better way of doing it. Would be nice to get sent a full SMS of details when the caches are simple traditional type. Or include the waypoint rather than cache name which forms part of subject line as well as co-ord.

Maybe I like the FTF rush to much ?

We collect all our email on our phone, so the GC notifications come to us anyway with the rest of our email. The phone only collects mail headers, then we get it to retrieve 10Kb of the email if we're interested in reading it.

Many phones have a POP3 or IMAP4 email client on them these days, but you need to check whether your mobile network will charge you for collecting your emails, or if you have an amount of free data download on the phone. Certainly if you only collect the email headers initially, it's a minimal amount of data.

With Vodafone, they convert our unused SMS allowance into data, so we can happily download email from our phone and surf to the full GC.COM website using the Opera mobile browser, or just use the WAP page version that uses minimal data.

Edited by The Knights who say Ni

Your quick enough as it is Stonefisk! Phones, Waps, e-mails, gosh! I take a phone in case one of us falls down a hole or something and needs help, or the RAC relay as a by-way has just taken the axle off the car!!! You really do want to be super boost fast with FTF's. Could not compete with all that technology. :P:P:)

Your quick enough as it is Stonefisk! Phones, Waps, e-mails, gosh! I take a phone in case one of us falls down a hole or something and needs help, or the RAC relay as a by-way has just taken the axle off the car!!! You really do want to be super boost fast with FTF's. Could not compete with all that technology. :):lol::)

uh oh I 've been busted.

Your quick enough as it is Stonefisk! Phones, Waps, e-mails, gosh! I take a phone in case one of us falls down a hole or something and needs help, or the RAC relay as a by-way has just taken the axle off the car!!! You really do want to be super boost fast with FTF's. Could not compete with all that technology.  :grin:  :lol:  :lol:

uh oh I 've been busted.

So has it helped you go out and get FTF on the three of them today? ;)

Mark :)

Edited by Chaotica_UK
So has it helped you go out and get FTF on the three of them today? :lol:

Mark :lol:

ah I see they where yours ;)

Slightly out of my comfort range, so I didn't bother or I would have gone for them last night :)

I also had cache maintenance and setting to do today and tomorrow and not an infinite fuel budget. :grin:

So has it helped you go out and get FTF on the three of them today?  :lol:

Mark  :lol:

ah I see they where yours ;)

Slightly out of my comfort range, so I didn't bother or I would have gone for them last night :)

I also had cache maintenance and setting to do today and tomorrow and not an infinite fuel budget. :grin:

I did wonder if you were talking about the same ones when you opened the thread yesterday

I know what you mean about the fuel budget, gotta keep it in perspective!

Im sure I will do a day trip in your direction sometime soon. Need to clear up all the Gowenhouse ones near me first. lol.

Mark :D