Findability Question

seekandu

Good question. I found the "landmark" location that I placed the cache at on the aerial image fom lostoutdoors, it was sufficient in resolution and detail to be accurate. I then "pinpointed" it to retreive the coords. Obviously this would be impossible in dense canopy but it worked in this case. The coords have been verified by another party and were right on. Now that I have a GPSr I often work backwards from this method to verify coords.

I was just about to ask the same question...haven't been able to afford a GPS yet. My girlfriend and I are just getting started...found our first two today and are working on the third using only Google Earth and our general knowledge of the area (how little we actually knew). We're lucky so far because Chicagoland is a reasonably high-res area in Google Earth. I'll also take snapshots in G.E. and put the picture on my PSP to take with to compare landmarks on the go. It's great so far except that the PSP's screen is totally crippled by the tiniest bit of sunlight...I have to duck under my coat to view it outside. I definitely intend on getting a handheld GPS though...I've wanted one ever since I discovered G.E. and even moreso now. It'll make simple directions like "go 270 meters south" a LOT simpler.

Started 2 weeks ago, 22 found so far without GPS. I think it's possibly more fun without GPS because it requires such accurate map reading skills, and quite often some good guess work. There are some caches however that I do not think are possible without GPS. Multi caches are a problem though when you don't know the grid reference. Does anyone know a program to convert between latitude/longitude and grid references? (GB)

Started 2 weeks ago, 22 found so far without GPS. I think it's possibly more fun without GPS because it requires such accurate map reading skills, and quite often some good guess work. There are some caches however that I do not think are possible without GPS. Multi caches are a problem though when you don't know the grid reference. Does anyone know a program to convert between latitude/longitude and grid references? (GB)

Don't laugh. The easiest way is to use your GPS... :grin:

I do believe that most Topo Map Software can convirt as well.

Hello, i'm new. My question is, do i have to have a GPS to Geocache, or can i use a map and compass? I have recently purchased a Silva ranger 515 CL, would this be sufficient?

Finding a cache without a GPS is fun, gives you bragging rights and saves you the cost of the GPS. The GPS can make it easier but is by no means required.

If you can read a map the compass itself isn't even needed. (For most caches...)

Edited by Renegade Knight