City Select V6 To V7 Upgrade And Unlocks

porknpoop

Got a Vista C at Xmas and just purchased City Select V6. Will order free upgrade to V7 from Garmin. Several questions----

1- Are the unlocks per each time you load to the PC or by GPSr?

2-The upgrade is on DVD and I don't have a DVD drive. Can I upgrade on a different PC, burn a CD ond then upgrade on my PC?

Too confusing for my non- technical 64 year old brain !!!!!!!

Thanks,

Porknpoop (Happy as a pig in SH--)

To add a little more explanation, the CD doe not hold as much information as the DVD so copying it to a CD won't work. Capacity of your average DVD is around 7 GB versus the 650 MB of a CD.

Installing most DVD readers and or writers is fairly straight forward and basically just replacing the CD reader with the DVD, match it plug for plug. It might not be a bad idea to consider this upgrade with the price of the DVD readers dropping considerably and the fact that more and more software seems to be coming on DVD to avoid having to create 3 or more CDs when 1 DVD will do as nicely.

I ordered City Select 6, received ver 7 dvd. I bought a dvd burner to replace my older (sloooow) cdrom drive. I already have a cdrw drive.

Where did you order the CitySelect from?

The cheapest route is to go direct thru Garmin where I got mine, they ship it free and you pay for the unlock ($50). Had mine for a while and my son got his yesterday.

If you don't have a version to upgrade, I think they list for $149. Gander Mtn (Chicago) has them for $139 but there are cheaper prices on the net.

Edited by baloo&bd
I got the City Select, version 6, from an online merchant that offered it in a package deal with the beanbag automount and cigarette-lighter adapter for about $145.00.

And if you do that, the upgrade is free. However the beanbag mounts tend to not be very useful, they're free this way.

Edited by baloo&bd

I ordered City Select v.6 from Amazon.com for $104.99 (plus shipping) and I received v.7 on DVD! Now, here's a question. I already had CS v.6 and used both unlock codes a year ago. Does v.7 overwrite the v.6 maps on my hard drive, or do I replace them with v.7? And, am I starting fresh with the unlock code business for this new version? My old Map 60C will be using v.7 along with my new 60CX when it gets here.

I ordered City Select v.6 from Amazon.com for $104.99 (plus shipping) and I received v.7 on DVD! Now, here's a question. I already had CS v.6 and used both unlock codes a year ago. Does v.7 overwrite the v.6 maps on my hard drive, or do I replace them with v.7? And, am I starting fresh with the unlock code business for this new version? My old Map 60C will be using v.7 along with my new 60CX when it gets here.

You are not starting fresh with the unlock codes, they are assigned to the untis, not the software.

If I were you, I would return the DVD (if you can) and order it from Garmin. They will send it to you free and if you purchased V6 after (I think) Jun 1 05, the upgrade is free. If not, it will cost you $50 and save you that other $50 for some cool accesories.

You are purchaing the new unlock codes, not the software, so you can get another code for the new GPS, which you would have to do anyway.

I got the City Select, version 6, from an online merchant that offered it in a package deal with the beanbag automount and cigarette-lighter adapter for about $145.00.

And if you do that, the upgrade is free. However the beanbag mounts tend to not be very useful, they're free this way.

I got the navigation kit Miragee mentioned; my kit came with three mounting options - windshield mount; adhesive pads for a more permanent mount; and the bean bag. I use the bean bag the most cause I use it at work and home and is a lot more convenient to move around. Plus, mini-van windshields are very long and away from you - so, using the windshield mount puts the GPS too far away.