Travel Bugs Hotels

The Cheese Eaters

Well because, actually, I look at some caches ( TB Hotels ) and I am impressed on how much TB's there is, I count them all there always seems to be 11, just a coincidence maybe ?

There is a maximum number of bugs that will displayed on the cache page, although there could be more than that number in the cache itself.

When there are more bugs than the maximum-displayable number, the list will end with "more... (includes history)". If you click on that, you will see every bug that is currently or ever has been in the cache. In that case, I think that the only way to tell which ones are currerntly in it is to look at the "Location" column. For a cache that has seen hundreds of bugs, that can be a tedious process.

Followup: it looks like the maximum number of bugs that will show on a cache page is 20, based on event caches like this one and this one.

It's hard to find hotels with that many, but here's one with 14 and here's one with 19, so it looks like it was just a coincidence that you saw several with exactly 11.

(Those TB counts may vary by the time you actually click on those links.)

(edit: more typos than my typo-tolerance threshold allowed)

Edited by the hermit crabs
If you click on that, you will see every bug that is currently or ever has been in the cache

I dont think that is right. I believe it only shows bugs that are currently in the cache!

Nope. Try it and see. (That's why it says "includes history" after the "more..." link.)

Edit: Here's an example. This archived event currently has 176 bugs still listed in it. Only 20 of them show on the cache page. If you click the "more..." link, it lists 315 bugs: the 176 that are still in it, plus the 139 that have already moved on.

Edited by the hermit crabs

Sometimes Travel Bug Hotels work well. There is one somewhat close to the San Diego airport so if a bug wants to fly, a person can take the TB down there and someone can grab it before taking off on their trip.

However, there are other locations where Travel Bug Hotels are a terrible idea. There is one near me that is five miles off a secondary highway at the end of a dead end road. :laughing:

I have rescued bugs and coins from that cache several times because they were just sitting there with no cachers to free them . . .

I have rescued bugs and coins from that cache several times because they were just sitting there with no cachers to free them . . .

Well thank you making it work just fine! :laughing:

What's the purpose of a bug hotel? I thought they were MEANT to travel?

The point of a hotel is to provide an easy drop off point for people limited from hitting any other nearby caches while they are traveling.

Not a bad idea.............(editorial removed)

I have one. It just "opened" up. I made it for when I go to events I have a place to put all the bugs that no one seems to want. My intentions are to let them sit in the cache for about a week and then if no one picks them up, I will move them on my next big caching trip.

Well thank you making it work just fine! :mad:

. . .

Uh . . . some of those bugs I rescued had been in there for eight months . . . :laughing:

That is not a very good Travel Bug Hotel . . .

Well thank you making it work just fine! :laughing:

. . .

Uh . . . some of those bugs I rescued had been in there for eight months . . . :mad:

I know. I'm just saying there is always a good person willing to go take care of a ...less than good situation.

Well thank you making it work just fine! :blink:

. . .

Uh . . . some of those bugs I rescued had been in there for eight months . . . :unsure:

I know. I'm just saying there is always a good person willing to go take care of a ...less than good situation.

Thanks for the information everyone

Hehe lots of quotes :lol: