Geocoin Mileage

Checker111

This is a nubee question. I was not sure if I should post it here on in the 'Getting Started' section.

I see this entry in many GeoCaches, 'Just putting miles on my GeoCoin'.

I don't under stand what that means and how to do it.

I found a coin at a cache, so now I have a coin. What do I do with it?

This is what I think. To 'put miles on this coin', I should drop it in a cache online, but not physically put it there. Then retrieve it back, so I can continue to find caches and log it in each one I find. Is that this means? I am I supposed to keep this coin for myself and just log miles on it, or should it be placed in another cache and say goodbye to it?

Thanks in advance. checker111

I have a coin that I activated on my one year anniversary. I log it into and out of each cache or event I go to for the purpose of seeing just how many miles (as the Crowe flies :D ) I will log this year of caching. I wish I had done that for my first year of caching as I logged 800 caches in 9 states. :)

You will need to get your own coin and activate it for yourself.

CF30

Edited by Crowesfeat30

If you found a coin in a cache then you need to place it physicly in another cache. It is not yours to keep. You treat it just like a travel bug.

When people put "just getting mileage" it means they own the coin and they visited a cache and want to get mileage on the geocoin the they bought and paid for......They keep the coin in their personal collection.

Others place their coins in a cache so that it can travel from cache to cache not for someone to keep.......Take the coin and drop it off physicly in another cache.

You record it in GC.com just as you would a TB.

It looks like you found a traveling Maryland coin. It is just like a Travel Bug. It should be physically dropped into another cache to continue it's journey. The logs you are seeing are probably people's own personal coins. Some people carry a coin or Travel Bug with them and then log it in and out of coins to track mileage and see where they have been. Hope this helps.

Friv

I have a coin that I activated on my one year anniversary. I log it into and out of each cache or event I go to for the purpose of seeing just how many miles (as the Crowe flies :D ) I will log this year of caching. I wish I had done that for my first year of caching as I logged 800 caches in 9 states. :)

You will need to get your own coin and activate it for yourself.

CF30

I am wanting to do this for my 2 year, but didn't know if it was a good idea with the "virtual" log thing going on right now. I mean it would visit each cache with me but not stay.

Hey, a Maryland coin! :)

Thanks for asking about that, my friend Snurt would appreciate it if you kept it moving. You can see from the page you logged it on that it's meant to be kept moving.

If you'd like to purchase a coin of your own (of many types) there are a bunch of options, then you could do with it as you wish.

I am wanting to do this for my 2 year, but didn't know if it was a good idea with the "virtual" log thing going on right now. I mean it would visit each cache with me but not stay.

Like the Puppies said, a virtual coin would be one you hopped around from cache to cache just to add miles, such as logging it into a cache in your neighborhood park, then a cache in China, then to Germany, etc., just for mileage. That or leaving the number on the cache page for others to log and move as they please is bad.

Logging it into caches you've visited (or events for others to log) doesn't appear to be the issue.