How Long

codeman3

The answer will vary depending on who you are dealing with. In general, the State Forests tend to take longer than the State Parks. This is because you are dealing with a district office, which can be 50 miles away or more, rather than Ranger Joe who you just shook hands with at the park office. A delay of six or ten weeks can be very frustrating!

Speed will also vary depending on whether the DCNR person is already familiar with the process. If there are already 8 geocaches in that State Forest, expect the paperwork to go through faster than if it's a small state park who had never heard of geocaching until you decided to hide the first one there.

The results of the required Biodiversity Inventory check can also hold you up. If you are unlucky enough to have placed your cache next to an area where rare ferns are growing (this isn't publicized anyplace, mind you), then extra review may be required, and you may be asked to move your cache. (That actually happened to me once with a cache I hid under my player account!)

Sometimes you will get an instant approval, especially if you talked on the phone in advance to the responsible person. Fax the application, explain exactly where the cache will go, have them start the inventory check, then stop by on the following Friday to pick up your sticker, finish the paperwork and place the cache. More often, two visits will be required -- one for planning and saying hello and scouting your location, and a second to wrap up the process.

Overall I would say that a week or so is an average waiting time.

So, that is my summary based on watching this policy for several hundred caches where I have been the cache reviewer, and for four caches that I have personally hidden. If others have specific experiences, I would hope they would post, too. It would also help everyone to know which park or forest you're talking about.

That's actually the PA Department of Conservation and Natural Resources

My DCNR hide went very smoothly. I did stop by and speak to the Manager first.

Exchanged a few emails. Gave him the opportunity to review a draft of the Cache Page.

Hope you are lucky enough to work with a DCNR Manager as good as our local one.

Tick....tick.....tick.....tick.....tick.

Hope that helps :antenna:

They will contact you (soon I hope) and will want to visit each of the locations with you. Or if you have marked them they can go out when they have a minute. Once they have checked your location/s they will mail you a geocache sticker for your ammo can. Be prepared to move a location if it is near somthing they to not want disturbed. But if you get your sticker then you are good to go and can submit the cache to your local geocaching reviewer.

Good luck :antenna:

:):D:D I have gotten my approvel from DCNR :) but, :) now ,after 2 weeks of waiting I have to sign the form, send it back, have the Assistant District Forester sign it, then, I'll have my cahe ready to go.

Anyway I was just wandering what would be faster driving up there to the cache (at my cabin 3 1/2 hours away) and handing them the form in person, or mailing it again. I mean if i do take it up myself will he sign it and give me the sticker all in one time? or will I have to wait untill hes "avaliable"?

thanks for listening :D

Hello,

I merged together your three separate threads about this cache. It makes it easier to follow the story of what you're trying to get done with your cache permit.

I am glad to hear that the DCNR has approved your cache! Yes, I would definitely make an appointment to see the official.

When submitting your cache page, be sure to mention in the cache description that you have a cabin in the area, and that you visit regularly. This is important under the section of the listing guidelines regarding vacation caches/caches beyond your maintainable distance.

Good news on the approval. I would go up myself. That's just me.

A nice thing about the DCNR here in the Rothrock area is that they give out nice big Geocaching stickers to put on your ammo cans. FREE. :):)

I know your cache is about 50 minutes away from where I am. Let me know when the final final final approval has been made.

HolyCowboys