Terrachahing?

Thrak

I've heard of Terracaching. Does anybody do that? Is it the same as Geocaching or what? Pros???  Cons???  Thoughts or info???  Flames???

That's like walking into a GM plant making inquiries about Ford's.

edited because they are better than Yugo's

El Diablo

Edited by El Diablo

Sheesh...... I just wondered what it was all about. So shoot me for being a n00b. :huh:

I can't see that it could be much competition to this site since I don't hear much about it. Guess I can go look for myself. Just wanted some thoughts on the subject and I seem to be getting them. Sorry to get folks riled up.

Edited by Thrak

I'm not sure it's banned, but as Mopar stated, it seems like bad form.

Edit: responding to the edit.

Nobody riled up on this side of this keyboard. I tyhink you ask a valid question. Not sure where the right place would be for you to get a good well rounded answer though.

Edited by Moose Mob

Some of the best hikers/Geocachers in this area have caches listed on GC.com. They also have some very challenging caches, like on the top of desert peaks, listed on Terracaching.com.

In this area, there are very few Terracaches compared to Geocaches. It is a different site, but not really a "competitor" to this one.

Sheesh...... I just wondered what it was all about. So shoot me for being a n00b. :unsure:

I can't see that it could be much competition to this site since I don't hear much about it. Guess I can go look for myself. Just wanted some thoughts on the subject and I seem to be getting them. Sorry to get folks riled up.

Several hundred finds and almost 1000 forum posts is not a noob!! :anibad:

If I remember right, your find count puts ya in the top 10% of all geocachers.

But that's besides the point. Nobody here is riled up, it's just kinda bad form to use resources that company A is paying to provide you, to discuss company B. Especially when company B has their own forums.

You got responses from the half-dozen forum junkies who preemptively declare GC.com the best site ever and didn't even take 20 seconds to read your post and notice that a question like "is it the same thing as geocaching" means you don't know anything about Terracaching.

If GPSax rang in to tell you about how you should e-mail AngryKid (the owner of Terracaching.com)...then you would have finished the full GC.com-fanboy gauntlet.

Now, to answer your question(s): Terracaching is another site that lists geocaches. It is the same activity as what's housed here at Geocaching.com run by different people. They use a different system of approval for their listings and also keep a score/tally for your efforts in the game (seperate scores for hiding/finding and the cache gets a find-score and user rating evaluation by the site users too). This results in some awarding that also keep the game fun with a hint of competition.

You should really check it out for yourself at http://www.terracaching.com though to see if it interests you. Quite a few people geocache using both sites for their different approaches to the game.

You got responses from the half-dozen forum junkies who preemptively declare GC.com the best site ever

Funny, you must be reading the TC.forums instead of this one. I scroll up in this thread and don't see a single post that is even remotely like what you claim.

Nobody here is riled up, it's just kinda bad form to use resources that company A is paying to provide you, to discuss company B. Especially when company B has their own forums.

Bad form? In the context of Company A ("...is it the same as geocaching...")? Hardly.

If you went to a McDonalds-based forum and said "I just heard about a Whopper. Is the Whopper the same thing as a Big'n'Tasty?", that's hardly bad form. Most people start from what they know and try to understand new ideas in that frame of reference (even if the Big'n'Tasty could be considered a late entry substitute for the more established Whopper).

You got responses from the half-dozen forum junkies who preemptively declare GC.com the best site ever

Funny, you must be reading the TC.forums instead of this one. I scroll up in this thread and don't see a single post that is even remotely like what you claim.

Funny...you've forgotten how to read for comprehension. I didn't say any of it happened in this topic, just that the quippy and non-responsive posts Thrak got were the results of a common mindset in these forums that sees the word "Terracaching" and pounces on the utterer out of principle rather than respond with any utility.

You got responses from the half-dozen forum junkies who preemptively declare GC.com the best site ever and didn't even take 20 seconds to read your post and notice that a question like "is it the same thing as geocaching" means you don't know anything about Terracaching.

If GPSax rang in to tell you about how you should e-mail AngryKid (the owner of Terracaching.com)...then you would have finished the full GC.com-fanboy gauntlet.

Oh please. I'm a terracacher too. :unsure:

This thread belongs over there. NOT here.

I think it was the "Is it the same as Geocaching or what?" that, at least for me, made it less than an honest question.

Excuse me for reading into it.

Edit: Sorry, I take that back, I think it was the whole dam question.

Edited by BlueDeuce

The honest questions belong here, the flames over there. :unsure:

I'm sure there are people that can, and are willing, to provide assessments of both sites, however as Moose Mob pointed out, it would be difficult to figure out exactly how biased (or unbiased) those responses are.

It appears Thrak asked an honest question. If you don't have a real answer, please refrain from the thread. "If you want to praise or criticize, give examples as to why it is good or bad, general attacks on a person or idea will not be tolerated."

Thanks.