Best Gps For Geocaching

Frank22

I have an etrex camo and etrex yellow units. They work ok. I have software version 2.20 and 2.14 respectively. A friend has the etrex yellow with software version 3.20. His seems to zero in much better than mine. I'm considering purchasing a new unit. I'm narrowed down to the etrex legend or the GPS60 in my own mind. Does anyone have knowledge of the best unit for geocaching? What unit do you use and how does it perform for you?

Your software version indicates that your old etrex units do not have WAAS capability. Your friend's newer unit has WAAS. As a result, he will generally get better coordinates.

The Legend is hard to beat as a reliable caching unit. It is being discussed in this thread.

The Map60 is pretty new. It has more map memory (24MB vs. 8MB) but fewer waypoints (500 vs. 1000). I would go to garmin.com and bring up the page for the Map60. There should be a link letting you compare other units. Click the Map60 and Legend and see what you think.

http://www.garmin.com/products/comparison.jsp

Your software version indicates that your old etrex units do not have WAAS capability.  Your friend's newer unit has WAAS.  As a result, he will generally get better coordinates.

I have to disagree with your statement regarding WAAS. I leave it turned off since I almost NEVER get a lock on one of those satellites where I live. Now when I cached in Montana it was a different story - I got the sats fine. However, here where I live (Chico, CA) I find that it's a useless battery drain. I just don't seem to ever get a lock on the WAAS sats in this area unless I'm caching up on a canyon rim. I do very well without WAAS and wouldn't let that be a big factor in choosing a unit.

I have only had one GPSr - a GPSMAP 76CS. I love it.

I would definitely go for the 60cs - the compass is really nice to pin point that box and to avoid traveling in circles for extended amounts of time. B)

Also believe that the antenna will give you some better reading especially in tree (or other types of) cover.

Of course there is the price to consider, but if you have the extra dough I wouldn't hesitate a second.

I just ordered a Garmin Venture for my wife. This unit will be for caching only, and does not have map capabilities, but does come with a PC cable to upload waypoints. I probably could have gotten the Legend for just a few bucks more though at Walmart.com, but I'm not to worried about it. I picked the Venure up at amazon.com, for $119 and free shipping. I was going to get just the garmin yellow, but decided not to when I found out the PC cable was ~$30!

I've been using GPS V for almost 4 years now, and I see no need to replace that one. Street maps and auto-routing is VERY nice for getting to the cache area.

Edit: Amazon actually has the Legend for only $4 more, and that's totaly worth it! I should have bought that one, but I didn't even look for it. I guess I could return the Venture and get the Legend. Then again for what it will be used for, the Venture might be better just because it has a longer battery life.

Edited by Vertigo
Your software version indicates that your old etrex units do not have WAAS capability.  Your friend's newer unit has WAAS.  As a result, he will generally get better coordinates.

I have to disagree with your statement regarding WAAS. I leave it turned off since I almost NEVER get a lock on one of those satellites where I live. Now when I cached in Montana it was a different story - I got the sats fine. However, here where I live (Chico, CA) I find that it's a useless battery drain. I just don't seem to ever get a lock on the WAAS sats in this area unless I'm caching up on a canyon rim. I do very well without WAAS and wouldn't let that be a big factor in choosing a unit.

I have only had one GPSr - a GPSMAP 76CS. I love it.

I'm gonna disagree with your disagreement! B)

While WAAS may not generally work for you in your location, and you do alright without it, WAAS corrections do improve the unit's accuracy remarkably. I've had an EPE of 6 feet (2 meters) at 38° latitude. You'll never come anywhere near that close without WAAS corrections.

I just got my GPSMAP60 this morning and I was concerned after reading a lot of posts about it :Having trouble keeping signal, Poor accuracy- jumps around, and unreliable under tree cover. My old GPSr (Explorists 200) had none of these problems, so I was concerned.

I took it out to "Find" some of my caches close to my house that I know have extremely accurate posted coords on GC.COM- this GPSr has AMAZING accuracy and a very sensitive antenna- I love it. It "warm" starts very fast too. The only drawback I can see is you have to pay extra $$$.$$ for the available maps. --havn't tested under tree cover yet.....

I have had a Garmin Map60cs for a couple of months now. It does an excellent job in my opinion of putting you routinely within 10 ft of caches. The screens are excellent in bright sunlight. I turn the WAAS on and leave it on all of the time and still get around 20 hours of use on two AA batteries. You need to be patient when you get real close to a cache and SIT it down or hang it from a tree limb for a few minutes to get the best fix on the cache location. I can't say good bad or otherwise on any other units.

The Legend is hard to beat as a reliable caching unit.

The Legend is easy to beat. You beat it with the Magellan Explorist 210,

The Explorsit 210 has a better reciever, the Explorist has 22MB of Memory compare to 8MB in the legened. The Explorist 210 support auto routing with Map Send direct route, the legend will not autoroute. You can find the Explorst 210 for about $156.00 if you shop around, the Legend you can find for about $144.00. For the extra $12.00, the Explorist 210 is a much better deal.

As far as a Magnetic copmpass in a GPS, they are not all the usefull for finding a cache, if you really want a magnetic compass in a GPS, then go for the Explorist 600, the Ex[plorist 600 uses a triaxial compass so that you do not have to hold the GPS level to get an accurate reading, Garmin does not use a triaxial compass, unless you hold the 60CS, 76CS or any other Garmin GPS with a magnetic compass level you will not get an accurate reading.