Wheelchair Accessible Caches In San Diego

"Can't Believe I Had To Come Here" is wheelchair accessible, but is best accessed on the weekend or after 6:00 p.m. when the parking lot isn't so full.

It isn't big enough for a T.B. however. :o

Since that is one of my caches, I know it is accessible. Offhand, I can't think of any others that are for sure "wheelchair accessible," however, I would check out the "Homer" and "Tranquility" caches. Many of those are wheelchair accessible.

Have a good time during your visit. <_<

Hi Folks,

I shall be in San Diego in about 10 days time for a stay of about 10 days for conferences and so on. I am a wheelchair user and am wondering if anyone can suggest any caches I could / should do please?

I don't mind doing virts, but have some bugs to drop while I am out there.

Many thanks,

Dorsetgal & GeoDog

Where are your conferences going to be held?

How far are you up to traveling once you are here?

Hi Folks,

I shall be in San Diego in about 10 days time for a stay of about 10 days for conferences and so on. I am a wheelchair user and am wondering if anyone can suggest any caches I could / should do please?

I don't mind doing virts, but have some bugs to drop while I am out there.

Many thanks,

Dorsetgal & GeoDog

Quite honestly, wheelchair accessible caches haven't been on my radar. It not that there aren't wheelchairs in San Diego, it just hasn't come up. Excuses aside, its something we (the SD gang) should get going.

We're doing a good job of bookmarking other types of caches, now we need to bookmark wheelchair accessible caches and work on placing some new ones. What do you say San Diego?

A bookmark list is a good idea, but would have to be maintained, and is likely to be outdated rapidly. However, wheelchair accessibility is a setable cache attribute. So, how about everybody update the attributes on the caches you own to indicate if the cache can be accessed by a wheelchair? Then anybody (well, subscribers, which everybody should be anyway) can run a pocket query to seek them out.

Only one of my caches, Big Stone Lodge, is accessible, but my quick PQ shows a fair amount nearby.

-Tony

I do have some caches available to wheelchairs. Look up #12, Tuna View of San Diego, A Bridge not too far and Century plant caches. The last two are a mile apart about five miles north of the Town and Country, right next to I-805.

The Tuna view cache takes an average of three hours to complete, but does give you some great views of San Diego.

Edited by nscaler
A bookmark list is a good idea, but would have to be maintained, and is likely to be outdated rapidly. However, wheelchair accessibility is a setable cache attribute. So, how about everybody update the attributes on the caches you own to indicate if the cache can be accessed by a wheelchair?

<snip>

Now there's a good solution!

What about in the city itself? Any suggestions please?

Also, might not be possible, but I would love to find one benchmark (logo lout alert)!!!!

The list idea sounds great for the future, and of course if I manage any caches you'll get first hand recommendations by return :unsure:

I have done a lot of caching in London, and always let the cache owner know that I have completed it by wheelchair and sometimes advise alternate ways to get access to the cache.

Sometimes it is tricky being a w/c user, stop too long and some kind person willl ask if I need help, thankfully GeoDog provides a useful distraction! ... and yes he is coming too!

Keep the suggestions coming please ...

I haven't completed it, but I think Chalk La Strada is accessible, too.

The ones NOT to do:

Any by the DAK girls. They usually like to crawl into tunnels, etc. :unsure: Or around hilly forests. They're excellent caches, tho. Sorry.

How far can you reach from your wheelchair? Do you use some sort of grabber or is your grabber on 4 legs? :anibad: How rough can the terrain be? As you can probably tell, we don't have much experience with wheelchairs.

Maybe contact Bunthorne. His wife used a wheelchair in her later months.

Many thanks for the suggestions, I can grab from the chair and yes Mr 4 Paws helps too :unsure:

Occasionally, I have been known to get on the ground and crawl, but that runs the risk of muggles coming to my rescue!

In Salzburg last autumn I was trying for micro on a bridge, one person tried to stop me as they thought I was about to jump and someone else offered me money before I reluctantly had to abandon! :anibad:

If this one is back in action, I believe it is wheelchair accessible.

Even if it isn't back, that area is very interesting. The "trees" along the walkway are fascinating.

I just moved this cache to the newspaper bins near the other end of the ship, but I forgot to get the new coordinates. Duh. I'll have it going again soon.

Gaslamp and Aloe Virtualis at the zoo are accessible.

D

OK, of my caches which are both wheelchair and public transport accessible, there are a paltry few:

Lifeguard Lookup (virtual)

Water Water Everywhere (and a cache, you'd think?) (mystery)

Point Loma Lights (virtual)

Take Me Out to the Ballgame (puzzle, and being baseball-related I don't suppose a British lass would solve it without lots of effort)

We really should make an effort to be more wheelchair-friendly around here, shouldn't we? At least to mark whether the cache is accessible or not.... New Year's Resolution everyone?

If this one is back in action, I believe it is wheelchair accessible.

Even if it isn't back, that area is very interesting. The "trees" along the walkway are fascinating.

I just moved this cache to the newspaper bins near the other end of the ship, but I forgot to get the new coordinates. Duh. I'll have it going again soon.

Gaslamp and Aloe Virtualis at the zoo are accessible.

D

The Star is back in action!

D!