Travel Bugs Sold On Ebay

freespirit1402

Someone is selling activated travelbugs that they bought at a car boot sale on ebay. The item number is 7208155760. As they have toys attatched to the tags they clearly have owners. Have emailed the seller to ask how much to end the listing early but am trying to get as many owners of lost tbs as possible to look so might be able to find the owner. If i win auction will of course replace in local cache and log it.

OK everyone!! :D

Please, no-one else place a bid on this auction, why should someone make a profit from stolen property? I am sure that we would all like the travel bugs back in circulation, let the current high bidder be the person that does it... :D

I can just imagine the log entries when they get back into circulation... :o

Just got home to see rutsons message that they have been successfully retrieved which im glad to hear as i read a message on the cancelled listing stating they were being binned and subsequently fired off another request for their clemency!

froggy i accidentally clicked report and put my answer in the box. so instead of answering you the first time i typed this i reported your post. i have sent another message to the mods explaining my faux pas and apologising, sorry mate

if it helps the report is worded in the exact same words as the message i then added above about reading rutsons reply which may thoroughly confuse the mods

just popped into the brit forum to read their version of this thread too

explained that this morning before the charity donation was made i had emailed the seller requesting a buy it now total. when i got in this evening i didnt read the forums but mailed them again asking about the offer i had made. im assuming they will either ignore it or tell me they sent em to rutson but if they are dodgy that could turn out interesting!

anyways im off to get warm and dry, failed a cache find today-was got by a combination of freezing rain, unfamiliar territory and shoes which as it turned out WERENT waterproof

happy hunting

Edited by freespirit1402
LOL Freespirite, I don't think I've ever been reported before so it will be interesting to see if I get banned, or what else happens. :lol:

Jackie

LOL! Here's what happens, I read it, and think to myself "What is this person talking about?" So I click the link and here we are. No banning, I think it's great that the TB's were recovered. Great job!

I think ebay should be contacted as they don't allow stolen property to be auctioned on the site. That would end the auction and the owners of the bugs could have the seller send his bug/s back.

Jackie

The only problem I see with this is how to explain it ebay. "Well, you see, you leave these things in Tupperware containers in the forest ......"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 30-Dec-05 at 09:34:02 GMT, seller added the following information:

Due to the negative line of questioning from some, i have decided to withdraw these items from the auction. As these items are of no use to me, i shall be dropping them into the nearest bin. I can of course for a price give you the gps for my local waste disposal site.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, so what become of them? Did everyone make the seller so mad that they got thrown away? Did someone buy them outside of ebay?

Edited by Pilerman
Okay, so what become of them? Did everyone make the seller so mad that they got thrown away? Did someone buy them outside of ebay?

Another Link to the UK forum.

Someone managed to buy them outside ebay. They were shipped to that person.

There seems to be some confusion since the tags don't match the ones everyone thought they were? But at least, whichever TBs these are, they're in the hands of a geocacher.

I got a message from someone saying one of my missing TBs was being sold on eBay. However, on checking, it wasn't my TB at all.

What had happened was that a seller was advertising brand new, unregistered, TB tags and had used a copy of the picture of the TB dog tags from the Groundspeak Geocaching.com site. Someone had looked at the picture, mistaken a "1" for a "2" and decoded this as one of my tags.

It's a good job I looked carefully before complaining to eBay, wasn't it? :rolleyes:

After looking closer at the 2 bugs linked above it appears not only were the TB's taken, but the whole cache they were each in. Each last drop of the bug was also the last time each respective cache was found. Looks as though someone just came by and took the entire cache. It's a shame really....I can't believe someone would take the time to steal a cache. I mean really what's the point. Typically there isn't anything of much value in a cache.....except to the owner that bought materials to place it.