Underwater/scuba Caches?

li_kao

I've been an avid diver since I was a wee bairn and strapped on my first tank when I lived on St. Thomas. I'm very interested in how geocaching and SCUBA might play well together. Does anyone have any experience with underwater caches, or any guidance with creating/placing one?

I've done a few. Ammocans are still the best underwater containers. Just fill them with scuba related gear or other items that can get wet and flood it to keep it on the bottom (an anchor is a good idea also). Items like spare orings, mask straps, slates, dive charts etc are great scuba swag.

The trick seems to be getting the coords right. A ziplocked gps so you can take a reading on the surface before submerging is key, unless it's a boat dive.

Another method is to make it a Multi. Coords are for the shoreline entry point, then a compass heading for x number of yards.

This summer we did a cache that was a memorable and a fun one that cosisted of a shallow water dive. We tried it without much gear and didn't have a lot of luck. I bought some fins and mask and away we went again. my two sons were with me when we found it. The cache was a multi cache with the first stage under water (coordinates were painted on a 2x3 sign) and this led to a 2nd stage about three miles down the lake up in the woods. The water on the first stage was usally about 6-7 feet deep but with unusal rains it was about 9-10 feet deep. The lake was Lake Hickory in North Carolina. Like I said it was a most unique cache. Here is the waypoint so you can check it out. GCPWK1 and the name of the cache is "Party at the Sandbar". Ace3

Thanks to all of you who responded! I greatly appreciate it. It seems that one of the caches listed in the SCUBA bookmark list that was provided is at a nearby lake that's popular for people who are doing their checkout dives. I might have to check that out when I get back from Honduras.

Happy New Year to you all!