Who Coined This Saying?

hobbycache

I'm stumped and need some help.

Does anyone know who made up this saying -

"I use multi-billion dollar military satellites to find tupperware hidden in the woods."

I've asked the guy on eBay selling the shirts and he doesn't know - there's also a few selling shirts with that saying on Cafe Press website. Asked birdsong-n-bud since he has it as his forum sig., but he said he didn't make it up either. Everyone seems to have seen it once and liked it -- No one seems to know who coined the phrase. Anyone know?

:D:P:P

I'm wondering because I'd like to make up some t-shirts with that saying and my own design, but don't want to use anything without permission.

Thanks for your help.

After a quick check in the forums....

There are so many variations of that I wouldn't worry about it.

"I use multi-million dollar military satellites to find ..."

"Testing billion dollar satellite systems"

"I use multi-billion dollar military satellites to find McToys."

etc. etc.

I wouldn't say it was invented (or coined), I would gather that it evolved into that form.

Edited by Moose Mob
It is possible that I might have originated this, maybe. To be sure you cover your bases, please send me a money order for $1000 for every instance of usage you employ. Thank you for your support.

LOL!! :rolleyes:

Seriously, thanks for your help. It just seems like so many geocaching things become "community property" - and others find a way to profit. I don't want to steal someone else's idea, if there is AN originator.

If its not copyrighted, don't worry about it. You're good to go.

I've searched the web a lot looking for any copyrights concerning this. Haven't come up with any, obviously. Maybe I don't know all the right places to look - but I'm doing my best to be thorough.

I wouldn't sweat it. Like Moose Mob suggested, I think it is 'groupthink' or some other dotcom buzzword.

If you do make them for selling, be sure you read up on groundspeaks conditions on advertising in cache pages or the forums.

Other than that, I'd just have fun if I were you, and print out what you think you can sell.

I'm still waiting for those money orders, btw

BTW the first forum reference that I could find that was close was here

I concur with Brian. Other early references are here, and here (quoting Discover magazine).

But the first use that is very close to the current quote as made famous on T-shirts is, I believe, by Zartimus in this post on December 10, 2002:

I've assimilated 3 or 4 friends and now they are starting to do the same. If this was a wacky pyramid scheme of some sort when would I be receiving my free trip to Disneyland?

Now that Xmas is upon us and there seems to be a myriad of parties to go too, I eventually turn the conversation to geocaching.

"What"?

"geocaching"

"What the hell's that?"

"You use billions of dollars of US military hardware for free to search for tupperware hidden in the woods"

"Oh"..

We all have funny stories of stuff that happened to us while geocaching, they make for good party discussion.

And a little further back in June 2002

There appears to be an echo in this thread. :rolleyes:

There appears to be an echo in this thread. :lol:

I must have missed that one when checking. Thanks for catching that.

I'm so glad you don't have a life and you have the time to research every angle of every post to make sure we all get everything exactly right every time. :P

Thanks for all your input and researching in the forums. I didn't find out much more than my research had already turned up, but I feel a lot better about this now that there more than me coming to the same conclusion.

Think I'll go ahead and get on with my plans.

Jhwk

briansnat

Team RedHawk

The Leprechauns

Moose Mob

New England n00b

Thanks for your help. I'll email you when I get these shirts made and send you a free one!

Happy Caching! :rolleyes::lol::P

Edited by hobbycache