Proposal For>>>historic Forts Of North America

This category would be for 'Historic Forts' from 'New Amsterdam' (N.Y.) to Alcatraz Island (CA.)

Here are only 3 States from hundreds....

North Dekota--Fort Abraham Lincoln...1872

Arizona---------Fort Apache...................1870

Wyoming-------Fort Laramie.................1834

..to the '2nd Fort' established in the new 'Lousiana Purchase'..Fort Ozage..1808

Note:The National Park Service also designates Fort Osage as a certified site of the Santa Fe and Lewis and Clark National Historic Trails

Fort%20O-Militia%20large.jpg

tayleast.gif

Fort Taylor Key West.

DT-21.jpg

Fort Jefferson..1846...Dry Tortolas...South of Key West..

Generally, I think there are two types of fortifications: permanent and field ones.

Permanent ones are usually of great strength, erected in times of peace as a defence against attacks. It is meant to defend cities, border outposts, sea or river coasts, and trading centres. Permanent fortifications include walls, castles, forts and fortresses.

Field fortifications are constructed hastily in time of wars. They include trenches, foxholes, weapon emplacements, mine fields, breastwork made of logs, mud walls etc. and obstacles such as barbed wire.

You also could have a variable for kid type forts i.e. Lean-to's, dome forts, snow-trench forts, table forts etc

or these kind for a variables like the gamers have"

Chokepoint Forts

These kinds of forts are some of the more obvious ones. They exist in order to prevent access between two points of a continent a

Zone of Control Forts

These forts are designed to assert control over a particular region on the battlefield.

Stealing Forts

What these are designed for is to steal something from the enemy...

Culture Bomb Forts

These are forts placed with the intent of flipping an opposing Country

Offensive Forts

While these forts can be used as ZoC or Chokepoint Forts, their primary purpose is in stealing culture and roads/RRs from the enemy.

Would old fort sites that have nothing on it any more also be considered? I can think of 4 places in 3 states that are interesting sites, but have no ruins, only a grassy field and a sign about them. No doubt there are many more such places.

Those would be the type I would primarily be interested in. Anyone can locate an existing or restored fort with some tourist info and signs etc. But finding a location just by using your GPSr with reported coords from research, isn't that what we are really about anyway?

I think that is something we should consider before going "waypoint crazy". I believe many waypoints while very interesting are easily located and well known using well published information, but what makes a wayapoint interesting to me is that that one should need to rely primarily on a GPSr or orienteering skills to locate it.

Edited by Bill & Tammy
Would old fort sites that have nothing on it any more also be considered? I can think of 4 places in 3 states that are interesting sites, but have no ruins, only a grassy field and a sign about them. No doubt there are many more such places.

Sounds like something for a ruins category. I'm thinking for this one it should be more of a category for existing forts. Thoughts?

so we have 2 categories:

1)Ruins of Forts--would be obvious from ruins--or documented with some sort of signage or posted 'research'?

2)Current forts--military, recreational, and abandoned (but not ruinous?).

would military forts not be in the military installation category?

and there should be a specification as to if it is open to the public (a park), the construction is just 'asthetic'

what makes a wayapoint interesting to me is that that one should need to rely primarily on a GPSr or orienteering skills to locate it.

This is a 'Waymarking Category' with logs and with details, at which point you then decide if you like to visit one physically or if you like to find and log your own 'Waymark' under a specific category unlike 'Geocaching'

These sites do not belong under 'Historic Forts' They can be found or listed under 'Historic Things' (like California or Georgia Historic Markers'' a separate category.

Historic forts are cool. What kind of variables would you use in this category?

Date established (date)

Kind of Fort? (not sure the kinds of forts there are)

In service? (yes/no)

...With variables and drop downs ..the are a number of possibilities

.Some were constructed for territorial defence, some on occupied land and others to protect shipping routes.

There are--Military Forts-Outposts...Trading Forts-Defensive Fortification Forts...Land or Sea Fortifications.

Block or Brick or Sod (Adobe) Fortifications...

Stockade Forts

Star Forts

Polygonal Forts

Compound Forts

and even Castles.

There are Forts that are:.. restored--partially rebuild or in ruins

Access...Restricted-Public-Tours-Admission and hours of operation

Date when constructed/destroyed/rebuild

I think the variables should look something like theis

Permanent:

Castles

walls

Stockades

Fortresses.

Field fortifications:

trenches,

foxholes,

weapon emplacement forts

mine fields

breastwork made of logs

mud walls

obstacles such as barbed wire.

Block or Brick or Sod (Adobe) Fortifications...

Restored Forts:

restored

partially rebuilt

ruins

Any of these could have further variables:

Star Forts

Polygonal Forts

Compound Forts

Access...

Restricted-

Public-Tours-Admission and hours of operation

Date when constructed/destroyed/rebuilt

And then kid type forts:

Lean-to's

dome forts

snow-trench forts

table forts

These sites do not belong under 'Historic Forts' They can be found or listed under 'Historic Things' (like California or Georgia Historic Markers'' a separate category.

Actually the ones I know of are 2 state historic parks that once had a fort, no state historic marker, the grounds of a church building currently, that once had a fort and now only has a stone memorial with a plaque put up by some local group (again not a state historic marker) and the site of an old fort that has no marker whatsoever on it. I only know that one because of some archaeological work I once did on it. How would those fit in the category of historic things as you suggest?

Edited by Tsegi Mike and Desert Viking

One of my farourite 'Forts' ---The 16th Century 'Fort Carré' on the Côte d'Azur in Southern France.

17069.jpg17prison.jpg

A prison next to the kitchen, in the right picture and being imprisoned and starved next to cooking smells was a form of torture much relished by the French Army

archmuseum.jpg

Fort Carré

The 16th-century Fort Carré is a massive, star-shaped fortress on a promontory overlooking the Port Vauban. Napoléon was imprisoned in the Fort Carré.

Historic Forts of North America,----- Restored or Ruins of Historic Forts----

Would like to change above proposal to --

"Historic Forts or Restored Historic Forts" after reading discussions in previous forums.

Edited by Jake39
The Blue Quasar Posted Mar 4 2006, 12:29 PM

I can't wait to Waymark some of our great forts... like Fort George and Fort Erie and Fort Mississauga in the Niagara Region of Canada

StagsRoar Posted Mar 3 2006, 06:51 PM

I'm surprised this category has not already been listed - it should be!!! :)