Sport Or Game

sport    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (spôrt, sprt)

n.

a  Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

b A particular form of this activity.

2  An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.

3  An active pastime; recreation.

It falls into the 3rd definition of the word sport.

And the first and second. Geocaching involves physical exertion, skill and is governed by a set of customs and if you want to see a competetion, place a cache and watch the FTF rush.

Edited by briansnat
sport    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (spôrt, sprt)

n.

a  Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

b A particular form of this activity.

2  An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.

3  An active pastime; recreation.

It falls into the 3rd definition of the word sport.

That #3 is a pretty broad definition. Sport of gardening, sport of cabinetmaking, sport of traveling, sport of hiking, sport of birding, sport of wine tasting, sport of walking the dog, sport of shopping, sport of bar hopping, and I'm not even going to get started on all the "collegiate sports" that went on in the old frat house a bunch of years ago.... ESPN needs about 15 more channels....

That's why the first definition is the ONLY one of note.

Good thing we have the world authority on dictionary usage here then. I'm still waiting for a published definition of "sport" that geocaching doesn't fit into.

"... governed by a set of rules or customs."

Those don't exist for geocaching. Everytime someone breaks what we all believe to be a custom (or rule), the general response is "Everybody plays their own game", which then reinforces that there are no actual rules or customs that govern this activity.

Edited by dogbreathcanada

Good thing we have the world authority on dictionary usage here then. I'm still waiting for a published definition of "sport" that geocaching doesn't fit into.

Those don't exist for geocaching. Everytime someone breaks what we all believe to be a custom (or rule), the general response is "Everybody plays their own game", which then reinforces that there are no actual rules or customs that govern this activity.

Incorrect once again. When a custom or rule is broken there are ususally many posts critical of the act and a handful who respond with the "play your own game".

But lets make believe you are right. It can be argued that that in and of itself is a custom.

Alright, now this is obviously a troll. No one could be seriously making this argument. You go from "don't exist" to "we all believe" to "no actual" in two sentences. I think it is self-evident that whether all the rules are enforced at all times by all people has no effect on whether something is a sport or not. Since there are no actual customs I'm sure you wouldn't mind if I plucked all your caches and rehid them as my own, eh? Hey, I'm just "playing my own game". Not!

While it may only be a legend, in 1823 a schoolboy name William Webb Ellis picked up the soccer ball and ran with it, thus breaking the rules and playing his own game. Nowdays both soccer and rugby are sports.

but we've not considered the deeper aspect....

surely it's a religion? don't you end up praying to higher beings, known as satellites, for a better signal to help find the cache?

you have to have faith that the signal will hold, that there is still a cache where you are looking etc.

if you are good you get the reward of some little trinket.

can't offer immortality or even an afterlife so it's more a lifestyle religion as opposed to be good and get rewarded later.... :anitongue: