The Most Extreme Cache In The World?

Thomas&Lisa

There's one that is over 1.4 miles underwater at the bottom of the ocean near a hydrothermal vent...  GCG822.  I guess the owner used a Russian Mir submersible to put it there.  It's been there for over three years - no one's found it yet  ;)  I'd love to have the opportunity to try for that one!

Don't assume that cache exists. I also wonder if it has been maintained and verified as still there...I doubt it. In addition, the owner has found only one cache in 3 years and hasn't been on the site for over 6 months.

Cone Z in Antarctica is the most extreme cache I know of that has had finders and is maintained.

Salvelinus

From what I can see, the Rainbow Hydrothermal Vents cache (GCG822) *is* a real cache.

There is a note from the owner:

"Amended 5/06/05:

For the record, this geocache is real, and can be found. Most years Deep Ocean Expeditions (www.deepoceanexpeditions.com) takes people down to these vents, and you can go too! It is done as a cooperation between eco-tourism and extremophile research. Scientific study of high temperature bacteria and anaerobic life forms are subsidised by taking tourists to the vents. I have visited them twice myself. With 10-30 people visiting a year, I presume one will be a geocacher like me... sooner or later!"

And for the FTF, there is a TB waiting B)

I wish I was rich! :)