Warts On Pq If Your Finds

just B0B

The new Pocket Query feature allowing you to get a PQ of your finds once a week is unavailabe to users whose ISP filters .zip files.

Need the option of selecting file format (i.e. full file, not zipped) or the option of specifying and alternate email address for the PQ.

As it is now, I have to change my email address under my profile so I can receive the PQ, then change it back to my normal account. If I forget to change addresses, I have to wait a week to get it right.

How about a fix for this problem?

The new Pocket Query feature allowing you to get a PQ of your finds once a week is unavailabe to users whose ISP filters .zip files.

Need the option of selecting file format (i.e. full file, not zipped) or the option of specifying and alternate email address for the PQ.

As it is now, I have to change my email address under my profile so I can receive the PQ, then change it back to my normal account. If I forget to change addresses, I have to wait a week to get it right.

I recommend getting an ISP that does not filter ZIP files.

Need a g-mail invite?

Doesn't GMail filter ZIP files as well?

Mine come in just fine. Perhaps it's an optional filter set someplace?

It may be worth looking into SPAM filters or other optional settings.

If you set your account up (regarldless of your ISP or e-mail system) then you should make sure that you are not limiting yourself.

I woiuld look for setting that say "block attachments" or "only allow attachments from these sources".

Although possible, I have serious doubts that any commercial ISP will globally block ZIP files. They are far too common.

Edited by Moose Mob

It is hard to believe that any ISP today would filter ZIP files. The advantages are as great for them as the end user. I would check to see if there is an optional filter that either you or the ISP has set, intentional or unintentional.

My remailer thought they were doing me a favor by simply turning on their new SPAM filter feature without letting me know. Whenb i went to the configuration page it was a simple check mark to turn it off and start getting ALL my emails again.

. . . the option of specifying and alternate email address for the PQ.

I would like to request this . . . once again.

All my PQs come through my regular ISP. My email addrss for GC.com is my Yahoo! address.

I would really like to get the All Finds PQ delivered to the same address as all my other PQs.

Couldn't this be implemented somehow . . . ?

Nope. Not if you have a ton of finds already and travel around a bit. For me to get all my finds from the past week I would have to run 4 to 6 PQs because they are geographically dispersed in an area where I have already cached a lot and where the caches are plentiful. I am hoping for an "All of my finds from the past 7 days" option.

(I think Jeremy has already put this request on the to-do list, but I might be mistaken).

I am hoping for an "All of my finds from the past 7 days" option.

Wouldn't checking both "I have found" and "Found in the last 7 days" accomplish what you want?

Edit: Upon further thought, I can see it wouldn't work. Caches I found 2 years ago and were found last week by that Hynr dude would be returned. That's obviously not the same as "All of my finds from the past 7 days." :lol:

Edited by Lil Devil

As it is now, I have to change my email address under my profile so I can receive the PQ, then change it back to my normal account.  If I forget to change addresses, I have to wait a week to get it right.

I recommend getting an ISP that does not filter ZIP files.

Need a g-mail invite?

I work for an agency which shall remain nameless for purposes of this discussion. The agency does indeed block "Zip" files. They also block access to open mail systems such as yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc.

I use my agency email account because instant notifications and all other mail are forwarded to my Blackberry 24/7. I find this to be quite useful, for obvious reasons.

Sure, I can run the query somewhere other than work, and hopefully I will remember to burn off a little bandwidth at gc.com swapping email accounts (and doing the account validation hokie pokie each time) but it seems like it would make good sense to offer a little bit of flexibility to the feature instead. :o

You should talk to your IT guys. There's no reason to block zip files...they aren't dangerous by themselves. My IT department blocks exe files, but if we really need to get one they tell us to have them zipped before they are sent.

Groundspeak could just offer the requested options rather than leaving numerous users in the position of inventing their own cumbersome work-arounds or suggesting that users launch lose - lose battles with corporate IT policy makers. :mad:

You should talk to your IT guys. There's no reason to block zip files...they aren't dangerous by themselves. My IT department blocks exe files, but if we really need to get one they tell us to have them zipped before they are sent.

Oh yeah. I can see that happening: :mad: "Hi, I need you to drop your fanatical overprotection of the company's IT infrastructre so that I can play on company time". :) These IT folks are typically pretty sharp and anticipate that some novice in your company (not you, of course) is going to release something out of an unsolicited zip file.

I too have overfanatical IT folks to deal with at work, and have tried to convince them that filtering out zip files is nonsense in a climate where every incoming e-mail attachement is already scanned at least twice before it is parked on my hard drive. My solution is to have my own e-mail address through an ISP that I contract with. This allows me to set the e-mail filters the way I want.

The blocking software (even updated) can be buggy, so more simplistic rules (like blocking all ZIPs and EXEs) can be more reliable.

Just the other day we found malware which got through. EXE inside a ZIP file (which is still supposed to be scanned), but it had a long name with extra periods inside the ZIP file.

It's quite common for corporate networks to block incoming ZIP files, as these days they are the most popular format for worms which spread by e-mail. ZIP files are hard to scan because you have to cope with passwords, multiple-level ZIPs, denial of service attacks (zip a 100GB file down to 10K with four levels of ZIP, then send it and watch the receiving server collapse under the file size), etc.

On our network, we don't normally block them, but if we're having a particularly bad virus day and our A-V company hasn't got us the updates yet, we can do it. I think we've done it twice in the last two years.

However, any ISP which does it for individual customers without even giving them the option, will lose a lot of customers.