San Diego Cache Events

TFTC

I just saw a posting on another site, cacheaddicts.org , about the next Big Bear Bash! It is scheduled for August 16th, 2008. I will be camping up there again like last year and head up there the 15th, Friday. We had fun and suspect another SoCal Geocachers 4x4 fun on the Saturday and maybe Sunday.

Lots to see and explore.

TA

Edited by Team Adelos
I just saw a posting on another site, cacheaddicts.org , about the next Big Bear Bash! It is scheduled for August 16th, 2008. I will be camping up there again like last year and head up there the 15th, Friday. We had fun and suspect another SoCal Geocachers 4x4 fun on the Saturday and maybe Sunday.

Lots to see and explore.

TA

I had a lot of fun last year. This year I'd like to hike up Sugarloaf Mountain. Gold Mountain last year was fun!

I assume everyone will be going again this year, haven't seen many RSVP's from San Diego.

What hotel has been designated the "Official San Diego contingent hotel"?? The Yuma Cabana again?

http://www.yumacabana.com/

9 Feb 08 Warm Up For The Yuma Event #5 by S*W*A*G (GC17TXR)

10 Feb 08 Yuma Event #5 by S*W*A*G (GC17TN2)

Last person to RSVP - Wins jaredloser for the weekend. :P;);):):)

Yuma, Yuma Cabana....we will be there!!

I assume everyone will be going again this year, haven't seen many RSVP's from San Diego.

What hotel has been designated the "Official San Diego contingent hotel"?? The Yuma Cabana again?

http://www.yumacabana.com/

9 Feb 08 Warm Up For The Yuma Event #5 by S*W*A*G (GC17TXR)

10 Feb 08 Yuma Event #5 by S*W*A*G (GC17TN2)

Last person to RSVP - Wins jaredloser for the weekend. :P;);):):)

Yuma, Yuma Cabana....we will be there!!

Team Fatman,Fattboy and me will be at the Motel 6.

I think Windymatters and Lionhouse will be there too.

Sounds like Party time in Yuma this weekend 0002019D.gif

For anyone going out along old US 80, for instance to the Yuma event, I have created 6 different "cache along a route" paths for US 80 from San Diego to Yuma. They are locked onto 80 rather than I-8 in case people want to narrow the pockets queries closer to the old road (so as not to miss areas such as in Jacumba and El Centro-Holtville).

The easiest way to find them is with a Keyword search for "US 80."

Let me tell you, Google Earth did not want to let me have a route on old 80, so I had to build these out of a lot of small routes and manually spice the files together. What a pain. I wish Google Earth had an "avoid highways" feature like Google Maps.

In the future, there may be a cache series along old 80 placed by members of the California Historic Highway 80 board. I'm not the only cacher on the board. We may do an event someday too.

Parsa

Do you have an idea of a start time and total miles for the day?

I'm in for hiking. I wouldn't be able to keep up on my push-bike.

GreasePot

Is anyone going to be out hiking and caching this weekend?

Yep, I do!!! I'm planning on all the new caches in MTRP on the North side of 52 on Sunday. Anybody want to come??? Either hike or (push?) bike - I'm good for both.

GreasePot

Yep, I do!!! I'm planning on all the new caches in MTRP on the North side of 52 on Sunday. Anybody want to come??? Either hike or (push?) bike - I'm good for both.

I want to start no later than 8 in the morning - it'll be an all day hike. Roundtrip - I'm guessing 7+ miles in hilly terrain. Start from Mast blvd trailhead.

These are the caches (in planned order) for a total of 14:

Another Hill, Another Cache - GC1931Q

Qualitative Materiel Development Objective - GC1999Z

Kimchee - GC1999F

Economic Order Quantity - GC1998Y

A Cache Too Far? - GC1998M

Take Cover! - GC19989

Urgent Priority - GC1997W

Rest Stop for Old People - GC198AG

The Last Star? - GC1931Y

Farther Than The Farthest Star - GC1932B

I Need Water - GC1932M

Borderline - GC1984F

Cup of GI Joe - GC1932Q

MTRP 2006 Cache War - Harmon's Trail of Tears - GC1932V

GreasePot

I want to start no later than 8 in the morning - it'll be an all day hike. Roundtrip - I'm guessing 7+ miles in hilly terrain. Start from Mast blvd trailhead.

Kimchee - GC1999F

Take Cover! - GC19989

The Last Star? - GC1931Y

I Need Water - GC1932M

Borderline - GC1984F

Cup of GI Joe - GC1932Q

I talked with ThePolarBear and I am hoping to start this loop around 6am on Sunday morning. Anyone interested in a nice bright and early wake up call?

GreasePot

Kimchee - GC1999F

Take Cover! - GC19989

The Last Star? - GC1931Y

I Need Water - GC1932M

Borderline - GC1984F

Cup of GI Joe - GC1932Q

I talked with ThePolarBear and I am hoping to start this loop around 6am on Sunday morning. Anyone interested in a nice bright and early wake up call?

There could be one problem with 6 am start - the gate to Mast blvd parking lot does not open that early (at least not in the past). Does anybody know when the gate opens?

GreasePot

Kimchee - GC1999F

Take Cover! - GC19989

The Last Star? - GC1931Y

I Need Water - GC1932M

Borderline - GC1984F

Cup of GI Joe - GC1932Q

There could be one problem with 6 am start - the gate to Mast blvd parking lot does not open that early (at least not in the past). Does anybody know when the gate opens?

Early-birds park outside the gate where the southbound-52 offramp joins Mast Blvd.

GreasePot

Kimchee - GC1999F

Take Cover! - GC19989

The Last Star? - GC1931Y

I Need Water - GC1932M

Borderline - GC1984F

Cup of GI Joe - GC1932Q

Early-birds park outside the gate where the southbound-52 offramp joins Mast Blvd.

That is where I always park. Don't think that gate has ever been open for me :lol:

GreasePot

Kimchee - GC1999F

Take Cover! - GC19989

The Last Star? - GC1931Y

I Need Water - GC1932M

Borderline - GC1984F

Cup of GI Joe - GC1932Q

That is where I always park. Don't think that gate has ever been open for me :lol:

The slithering part of us has tentative plans on being out there Saturday morning. Should I become food for a hungry mountain lion, or in some other way become incapacitated, and you find my chomped and scattered bones while caching, please notify my NOK. She will likely enjoy spending the insurance money :wub:

GreasePot

Kimchee - GC1999F

Take Cover! - GC19989

The Last Star? - GC1931Y

I Need Water - GC1932M

Borderline - GC1984F

Cup of GI Joe - GC1932Q

The slithering part of us has tentative plans on being out there Saturday morning. Should I become food for a hungry mountain lion, or in some other way become incapacitated, and you find my chomped and scattered bones while caching, please notify my NOK. She will likely enjoy spending the insurance money :wub:

That means the FTF prize on your corpse would be a free GPSR! mmmmmmmmmmm

The slithering part of us has tentative plans on being out there Saturday morning. Should I become food for a hungry mountain lion, or in some other way become incapacitated, and you find my chomped and scattered bones while caching, please notify my NOK. She will likely enjoy spending the insurance money :lol:

I expect that I will be out there on Saturday morning (OK, Saturday early-afternoon -- what is it with this "start at 6am business"??? Don't you people know that mornings are for sleeping?) Anyway, I wanted to suggest to Snake that he can increase the chances of a successful recovery (of the remains) by ensuring that there is plenty of good swag available for the finders...

The slithering part of us has tentative plans on being out there Saturday morning. Should I become food for a hungry mountain lion, or in some other way become incapacitated, and you find my chomped and scattered bones while caching, please notify my NOK. She will likely enjoy spending the insurance money :lol:

I expect that I will be out there on Saturday morning (OK, Saturday early-afternoon -- what is it with this "start at 6am business"??? Don't you people know that mornings are for sleeping?) Anyway, I wanted to suggest to Snake that he can increase the chances of a successful recovery (of the remains) by ensuring that there is plenty of good swag available for the finders...

How thoughtful of you, James. I will likely be carrying my new Colorado 300, if that will help. I will try to have some cash with me as well, and perhaps a large plastic bag to assist with the CITO of the remains.

How thoughtful of you, James. I will likely be carrying my new Colorado 300, if that will help. I will try to have some cash with me as well, and perhaps a large plastic bag to assist with the CITO of the remains.

Dibs on the Colorado!!! :wub:

Dibs on the Colorado!!! :)

It only counts if you find him before I do... :)

The slithering part of us has tentative plans on being out there Saturday morning. Should I become food for a hungry mountain lion, or in some other way become incapacitated, and you find my chomped and scattered bones while caching, please notify my NOK. She will likely enjoy spending the insurance money :)

What a compassionate lot! :lol:

The slithering part of us has tentative plans on being out there Saturday morning. Should I become food for a hungry mountain lion, or in some other way become incapacitated, and you find my chomped and scattered bones while caching, please notify my NOK. She will likely enjoy spending the insurance money :)

James, are you going by yourself? In that case you probably should heed your own advice and bring some good swag for us to collect - ehm.. I mean CITO. :) Don't forget to pack the CITO bag :)

James, are you going by yourself? In that case you probably should heed your own advice and bring some good swag for us to collect - ehm.. I mean CITO. :) Don't forget to pack the CITO bag :)

More often than not, I am solo when venturing into MTRP. I always have some sort of container suitable for CITO but as far as swag goes, it's luck of the draw -- sometimes good, sometimes not. (It depends to some degree upon whose remains I find in my travels.)

You are right, though. I probably should follow my own advice! :) In the meantime, listen to what I say, not what I do...

More often than not, I am solo when venturing into MTRP. I always have some sort of container suitable for CITO but as far as swag goes, it's luck of the draw -- sometimes good, sometimes not. (It depends to some degree upon whose remains I find in my travels.)

You are right, though. I probably should follow my own advice! :) In the meantime, listen to what I say, not what I do...

That settles it - if we find the Colorado and the cash we'll CITO the area for Snake's remains and we'll make an immediate courtesy call to NOK. :)

However, if James goes out with empty pockets I guess we'll have to leave him there - hey, we got caches to find. Well, we can mark the area as a POI and notify authorities after we log our finds. Of course, if he happens to carry some good swag it will be a different story... :):):)

We're going to try to make it at 6 am on Sunday. How long is this rain supposed to last? I didn't even know it was going to rain--I thought it was summer already!

Sunday: Abundant sunshine. Highs in the low 70s and lows in the low 40s.

O please! I don't want t' hear about you seesies cancelling out an MTRP hike due to a light mist.

da14c96e-af9e-453f-991a-b19b53463442.jpg

See story on "This just in ...."

Edited by SD Rowdies

GreasePot

You guys make sure you take care of our Greasepot while she is out there. I want to make sure she gets back here to do all the off road caches I have planned for this summer.

BTW: I see that she did El Cajon mountain the other day. Note quite a 14er, but a major accomplishment none the less.

RocketMan

We're going to try to make it at 6 am on Sunday. How long is this rain supposed to last? I didn't even know it was going to rain--I thought it was summer already!

Yesterday while on a hilltop near Crest Splashette and I saw spring wildflowers in bloom.

Shelby and I are going to try to get up early Sunday :ph34r: and head out to MTRP, also Superdave, Tdbean, and a few more, DAbeave, Canadiangirl and a couple more ????......... sorry :( I cant remember all the names Dave had told me Thur. night :P

Chris / TEAM DUCKIT

Yesterday while on a hilltop near Crest Splashette and I saw spring wildflowers in bloom.

Shelby and I are going to try to get up early Sunday :( and head out to MTRP, also Superdave, Tdbean, and a few more, DAbeave, Canadiangirl and a couple more ????......... sorry :P I cant remember all the names Dave had told me Thur. night :ph34r:

Chris / TEAM DUCKIT

Be careful out there in the wilds beyond MTRP ... hold hands and look both ways before crossing streams.

Beeth ... did I mention beeth? ... and thnaketh and cougarth.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Shelby and I are going to try to get up early Sunday :mad: and head out to MTRP, also Superdave, Tdbean, and a few more, DAbeave, Canadiangirl and a couple more ????......... sorry :D I cant remember all the names Dave had told me Thur. night :mad:

Chris / TEAM DUCKIT

:blink: Chris: Since you didn't invite me I put another one out for you...so you have to walk farther... :mad:

Edited by jahoadi and john

Shelby and I are going to try to get up early Sunday :mad: and head out to MTRP, also Superdave, Tdbean, and a few more, DAbeave, Canadiangirl and a couple more ????......... sorry :D I cant remember all the names Dave had told me Thur. night :mad:

Chris / TEAM DUCKIT

Jodi come on the more the Merryurrrrrrr!

Chris

:blink: Chris: Since you didn't invite me I put another one out for you...so you have to walk farther... :mad:

To all of you that are showing up at 6 am tomorrow - jahoadi and john placed 3 more caches in the area and as of now the FTF's are still up for grabs!!!

This is Why We Recycle! GC19DV4

Another Rest Stop for Old Folks GC19DVK

Santee Views GC19DVC

See you all at 6 am!!!

Have a great time out there at 0'Dark thirty.

I'm going to go on Tuesday. It seems like the war isn't over - and somebody will probably drop more tomorrow....

GreasePot

I know what the " + " means when PolarBear says 7+ miles. It means 5 1/2 miles. Wow 12.5 miles today. It was the work out I was needing. Thanks for the fun and the beautiful scenery!

Yea, I looked at him funny when he said we would be out all day, sun up to sun down, and only do 8 miles=). Thanks for tagging along it was great having you girls along for the adventure in the mist!

Dibs on the Colorado!!! :P
It only counts if you find him before I do... :P

James, are you going by yourself? In that case you probably should heed your own advice and bring some good swag for us to collect - ehm.. I mean CITO. :P Don't forget to pack the CITO bag :)

You are right, though. I probably should follow my own advice! B) In the meantime, listen to what I say, not what I do...

That settles it - if we find the Colorado and the cash we'll CITO the area for Snake's remains and we'll make an immediate courtesy call to NOK. B)

However, if James goes out with empty pockets I guess we'll have to leave him there - hey, we got caches to find. Well, we can mark the area as a POI and notify authorities after we log our finds. Of course, if he happens to carry some good swag it will be a different story... :):o:o

I was caching out on the North Forty of MTRP today and I found the "Dragging the Body Back" TB in Santee Views. Apparently, in Texas, people will actually carry your body on the back of a horse for 600 miles without any need for nice swag and/or a Garmin Colorado to seal the deal.

Just another thing I will never understand about Texans, I guess...

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer

Dibs on the Colorado!!! :P
It only counts if you find him before I do... :P

James, are you going by yourself? In that case you probably should heed your own advice and bring some good swag for us to collect - ehm.. I mean CITO. :) Don't forget to pack the CITO bag :P

You are right, though. I probably should follow my own advice! B) In the meantime, listen to what I say, not what I do...

That settles it - if we find the Colorado and the cash we'll CITO the area for Snake's remains and we'll make an immediate courtesy call to NOK. B)

However, if James goes out with empty pockets I guess we'll have to leave him there - hey, we got caches to find. Well, we can mark the area as a POI and notify authorities after we log our finds. Of course, if he happens to carry some good swag it will be a different story... :):o:o

I was caching out on the North Forty of MTRP today and I found the "Dragging the Body Back" TB in Santee Views. Apparently, in Texas, people will actually carry your body on the back of a horse for 600 miles without any need for nice swag and/or a Garmin Colorado to seal the deal.

Just another thing I will never understand about Texans, I guess...

Watch "Lonesome Dove" again and see what a Texan will do when his partner dies.