Getting Cache Info On Vacation

TEAM DBS

We like to Geocache while we travel :P ... It is difficult for us campers sometimes to get on the internet and find caches to look for :lol: ... I try to get some ready for us before we leave on a camping trip but often we change plans and go a different way ...IS there available a CD we can put in our laptop with all the geocaches on it or a BOOK with USA caches listed in it ? Thanks ! BOB :D (TEAM DBS )

I don't know if a cd is available (it would be very tough to keep current with new caches available weekely at least) but if you have a premium membership and a program like easygps or GSAk (which I use) is a great way to get a bunch of caches in a wide area without being online. I currently run pocket queries for all the places I regularly visit, and when I go on vacation I run one for that destination also.

so rather than general cd use pocket queries (GC premium membership) and easygps (free) or GSAK(shareware) to collect and manage waypoints on your gps.

bwmick

I can't really answer those questions, but a resource that you can use while traveling is local public libraries. Most of them have computers that have internet access, so you can look things up while you're in the area. You'll probably want to have a notebook or pad of paper to write cache descriptions, hints, etc in; as most libraries either won't let you print, or charge a 'per page' fee.

Hope this helps!

There are enough caches they new ones are added, and ones ones archived daily. That and ones that are relocated a short distance or have the coords 'adjusted' a CD or book would quickly become outdated. Not for every cache of course, but why search for things that you have no idea if its there or been found recently??

As meantioned, put your laptop to use. try sucking down a bunch of PQs and store them in GSAK and hope that week or two old info is still accurate. You could also try for an internet connection at public library, or if you have a wireless card find a place to connect. Some states now have wireless access in the rest stops.

As meantioned, put your laptop to use. try sucking down a bunch of PQs and store them in GSAK and hope that week or two old info is still accurate. You could also try for an internet connection at public library, or if you have a wireless card find a place to connect. Some states now have wireless access in the rest stops.

That's what I did when I went on vacation last month. Ran PQs for the places I was heading, printed out the condensed html from GSAK. Had one cache DNF due to muggles, but overall it worked quite well.

I was just sure to have the PQ run and printed the night before I left to keep the info as current as possible.

We like to Geocache while we travel ;) ... It is difficult for us campers sometimes to get on the internet and find caches to look for :anitongue: ... I try to get some ready for us before we leave on a camping trip but often we change plans and go a different way ...IS there available a CD we can put in our laptop with all the geocaches on it or a BOOK with USA caches listed in it ? Thanks ! BOB ;) (TEAM DBS )

Thanks Everyone ! you have given me a bunch of good ideas ! :) Bob

TEAM DBS

If you have wireless on your PC, you can check out the hotels that advertise free wireless.  A lot of them are available to anyone sitting in their car in the parking lot.

Many hotels that offer free internet access will have some security log-in requirements. I recently stayed at one that you had to use the hotel's fax number as the security code.

I usually stay in Holiday-Inns. Some of them have CAT-5 connections, but most have wireless connections, which do not have any security codes to gain access. They are also usually strong enough signals that you can receive them from outside of the hotels.

Also, many Coffee-Shops (Starbuck's in particular) will provide you free-internet access if you make a purchase with them. So, start with a great cup of coffee and your wireless-enabled PC, and plan your geocaching for the day. :anitongue: