New Feature To Help Travel Bugs?

budd-rdc

At the bottom of the logging page, there's already a list of Travel Bugs one can drop off.

How about a list of Travel Bugs already in the cache (with links), listed on the top of the page somewhere? I think this will make it easier for people to log them out of a cache.

I often do not look at the main cache pages when I log finds. This means I have to type in the TB code TWICE (once to search for TB's page, and again to actually log the TB). By adding this feature, most people will just have to type in the code once to log it.

I foresee problems where there are lots and lots of TBs in a cache, especially event caches. This can be solved by limiting the number of TBs to be listed, then providing a "more..." link at the bottom of the list to open up a new page with a complete list of TBs.

Edited by budd-rdc

Please explain how what you are describing is any different from how the cache pages presently display travel bugs? I've always just clicked on the link on the right hand side of the cache page to take me to the page for the TB I picked up.

EDIT: Never mind. You want it on the *log* page. That seems like a lot of fuss for something that's already there on the cache page.

Edited by The Leprechauns
Please explain how what you are describing is any different from how the cache pages presently display travel bugs?  I've always just clicked on the link on the right hand side of the cache page to take me to the page for the TB I picked up.

EDIT:  Never mind.  You want it on the *log* page.  That seems like a lot of fuss for something that's already there on the cache page.

I see complaints of people (especially newbies) who seem to have trouble logging out TBs from caches they have visited. I've sent e-mails to a few of them, and even explaining the process seems a bit of a hassle.

Personally, I have no problems with the way things are, but this isn't for me, obviously. It would be nice for a more obvious way for people to log TBs out when they log cache finds.

This may explain why at almost every event I've been to, one or two TBs are invariably left "in" the event. Some newbie picks it up and can't figure out how to log it :o

That said, I'll all for making it as easy as possible for newbies (and everyone else) to log the grabs. I'm not sure what would work, but adding a list of links to the "log a cache" page sure couldn't hurt :P

Another idea: Down at the bottom of the log page, is a box where you can enter another GC#. Maybe another box where you can enter a TB# would be helpful.

I was thinking about something like this the other day. Of course, the one thing that would complicate it is that you need to enter the bug's number to log it out of the cache.

Maybe if it were set up similar to the way we enter our own waypoint on our logs. A list of bugs could be on the page with checkboxes next to each of them. Check the one you took and a text box would open up to enter the bug's number in.

That make sense?

Bret

I've always been a bit confused at the differences in logging a bug out from a cahce and back in. I tend to write more in the "drop off" log than the "pick up" log. Most pick up logs usually say something like "I'll see if I can move this along" Well, duh.. isn't the point of picking it up. But when you post the cache log and just select the bug you dropped off from your inventory, there is no place to add the interesting picture or story of the journey. You have to go back to the automatically created drop off log and edit it to add any thing. It all seems kind of backwards to me. I usually don't have much to say about a bug I just found.

I know this seems a bit off topic from the OP, but if there is going to be any type of TB logging reform, I think there are other issues that need to be addressed as well.

Edited by mini cacher

I've thought about this a few times before. Right now, I log the cache, then either use my back button to go back to the cache page and click the TB link, or I'll go to the TB master page and enter the tracking number. Either way, if there was just a list of TBs at the bottom of the page, you could pick the one(s) you picked up and then be taken to the page to log the bug in.

Of course, as I'm typing my brain is working...if you picked up multiple bugs, how would that be handled? There's a lot of work to be done to make this one right!

Another idea: Down at the bottom of the log page, is a box where you can enter another GC#. Maybe another box where you can enter a TB# would be helpful.

I like this solutions. By entering the TB number (the number on the TB tag), you would get the TB log page where you can add text and upload pictures.

Also, a GC# box and a TB# box would be helpful on the bottom of the page after the TB is logged.. I'm not sure what, if anything, is there now.